U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 AM

385 posts, read 1,091,109 times

Advertisements

I thought maybe this would interest some of you who are looking into homes in this area.

Developer selling homes at cost | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,707,359 times
Pat Neal is going to have to do better than that. In my opinion it's just another sales pitch--at cost, discounted, on sale, blowout, only 2 homes left, etc. Just another sales phrase to grab the newspapers attention. Bottom line is how do these homes in construction quality, amenities, etc compare to other homes of similar size, age etc. in the same area. That's what you need to be looking at not a slick advertising campaign.

I saw this same article in the newspaper a few months ago with different prices. What happens when you buy in there and then a few months later he slashes the prices by $25K again? Every time he drops the prices the newspapers do another story on him.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by SoFLGal; 02-21-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 AM

8,189 posts, read 30,062,559 times
I agree with you. Just a publicity stunt. Raise the prices quickly as a reward to those who buy early? Please.

It might be o.k. for someone who needs a small home and happens to have cash in hand. Sadly Most of the people in my immediate circle who live in that area have lost their jobs with no new jobs in sight. Even the ones who were looking to buy a year ago are no longer looking because they are too busy looking for work.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,707,359 times
I find it kind of amusing that the Herald has spent the last month or so dogging on Pat's other community-Lakewood Ranch about the Chinese drywall. Then they come out with this stellar review on this community. Hats off to Pat though, he's a pretty smart guy. Heck, he developed what used to be a cow pasture-Lakewood Ranch-into a luxury community. He got free advertising at least twice about this community. Not making any money off this project?? I find that hard to believe- He's no dummy!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,310,661 times
This is not the time to be building any houses. Not when you can find existing houses in the $50-$80 per square ft range.

Cost? LOL,...............SO? COST is still too high.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,091,109 times
The Herald Tribune has a comment section after each article, there are only three comments on this article as of yet, but I thought I would post them below for you to take into consideration as well as the ones above. It only seemed fair.

COMMENTS
Post a comment | View all comments on this topic.

bastien15 says...
February 21, 2009 5:25:40 am
RE: Link

Breaking even will only go for so long....I mean really how can people build something for only cost? Mr. neals Subs must be well capitolized.
Report this post

cougaroo22 says...
February 21, 2009 5:04:53 pm
What a brilliant idea, from a business standpoint and also from a human standpoint. With the economy the way that it is, this is a WONDERFUL thing, my hats off to Mr. Neal, he's finding a way to help some people obtain houses that normally they could not afford, and at the same time, allowing his loyal contractors to still somehow be able to work. I have to say from PERSONAL experience, that I know what a GOOD person he is, he has been involved in our schools for years, donating time and money, my daughter took 1st place in one of his art contests where he asked the kids to draw a picture of their dream house. He came to the ceremony to give out the awards, and was so sweet and wonderful to the kids. God bless him, I hope this works for him. He not only builds top-quality homes, he's got a heart also. I wish I were in the market for a house right now, I'd surely buy one of them.
Report this post

catlady0910 says...
February 21, 2009 5:36:53 pm
Good for him, hope it works out for everybody involved. With all the foreclosures in bad shape out there still up there in price, now people can spend the same amount for a brand new house! I have also heard he does alot for the community, and you can tell he is trying to keep all subcontractors busy too!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM

34,143 posts, read 54,145,529 times
do you think any of those posters might have personal ax to grind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>