U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM

23 posts, read 69,098 times

Advertisements

hello. first time poster here. my girlfirend and i are planning to take a road trip to the sarasota area from central jersey. if we like the area, im seriously considering picking up and moving down there. i would rent for a year and if all went well, i can see myself staying down there for a very long time. i know this is a very vague thread, but all help is appreciated. what's up in sarasota county, FL? convince me before i take the road trip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM

831 posts, read 2,290,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyNJhelloFL View Post
hello. first time poster here. my girlfirend and i are planning to take a road trip to the sarasota area from central jersey. if we like the area, im seriously considering picking up and moving down there. i would rent for a year and if all went well, i can see myself staying down there for a very long time. i know this is a very vague thread, but all help is appreciated. what's up in sarasota county, FL? convince me before i take the road trip.

I am also from Central NJ. I am not sure what your life style is like in NJ so it would be hard to make suggestions. Its extremely hard to get a job. People are getting laid off daily here.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 AM

I'm a handyman by day, working in plumbing, hvac, and landscaping. By night I am a bartender. My g/f is also a server/bartender. So our jobs aren't keeping us in NJ right now. How hard is it to find work in these fields? Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM

385 posts, read 1,083,351 times
You should go through some of the threads, I think there has actually 1 or 2 handyman contemplating the move from the northeast as well. It's a pretty tough market here right now, and to put it gently, I think you both would have a difficult time surviving unless you have savings.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:12 AM

33,524 posts, read 53,359,303 times
once the tourist season drops off betting jobs in food service will be more difficult as well--many of the restaurants that stay open year round have pretty stable staff from what I understand and don't always need to hire...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM

4,850 posts, read 13,347,027 times
Quote:
I'm a handyman by day, working in plumbing, hvac, and landscaping. By night I am a bartender. My g/f is also a server/bartender. So our jobs aren't keeping us in NJ right now. How hard is it to find work in these fields? Thanks for your reply.
A road trip might be a nice thing to check out the area. Bartending jobs are scarce. Anything construction, no guarantees.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM

there's gotta be some sort of work though. i mean, i know new jobs are hard to find anywhere right now with the economy and all. but we are both 24 and are willing to take a risk by moving. so what you guys are saying is to take the road trip for now but maybe hold off on moving?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:20 AM

16,389 posts, read 35,337,778 times
Quote:
there's gotta be some sort of work though. i mean, i know new jobs are hard to find anywhere right now with the economy and all. but we are both 24 and are willing to take a risk by moving. so what you guys are saying is to take the road trip for now but maybe hold off on moving?
I think everyone just wants to give you a headsup that the job market is tight here, that's all. But since you are both young and aren't looking to start your professional careers here, you might give it a shot. One thing I can say is that there is a TON of restaurants/bars all over the area, but you might have better luck up in Tampa/St. Pete rather than Sarasota. It's very seasonal in Sarasota, so the job you get now might be gone come summer.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM

4,850 posts, read 13,347,027 times
Quote:
Not to be condescending but, we're in high season right now...there's barely one listing in the Sunday paper in the service industry...every bartender in town is FIERCLY holding onto their customers and/or shifts. Same way with serving.......

C'mon down and check it out for yourself....being willing to take the risk is fine but have at least six months worth of back up money...don't come empty handed.

Once April 1st comes around and snowbirds start packing & leaving, it's a whole new ball game.

JOBS ARE SCARCE.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM

385 posts, read 1,083,351 times
This was several months ago, (when the economy was not even where it is now) a Kohls store was built in North Sarasota and hiring for full staff. I believe they had over 1,000 applicants ranging from HS grads to people with their MBA's vying for a position within the first week of accepting applicants.

It's just very competitive right now with so many people out of work and so few jobs. I think all anybody is saying is that if you are going to take the risk, just make sure your pockets are padded for a while. I think it's pretty safe to say none of us here would want to see somebody come down and struggle because they weren't prepared. Very best of luck to you.

Last edited by angelfish; 02-26-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area