Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:00 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Hey LowerBucksPA,
Are you from Bucks County PA per chance? I just bought a house here in Punta Gorda Isles! I was at an art show earlier today here in my new home town, and the girl I bought the painting frm was from Bucks County PA. My house here in PGI is not far from North Port, where if you are looking for a nice house, for little money that is rentable - that seems to be the hotest area right now. There are some places there that need some work, although for the money there are plenty that are like new, and still in expensive! You should definitely come down and take a look!

When you say "as-is" that is the way you'd have to accept a foreclosed property - banks won't sell them any other way. And if you are looking in the North Port area, SoFLGal is the agent that sells more there than just about anyone. She also sells a ton of foreclosures and has gotten to be one of the perferred listing agents - I think.

There is a great little Irish Pub here in PGI called the Celtic Ray! Very authentic - you'll have to check it out! And, I might join you! I'm Irish too by the way! And, I've been known to down a pint or two.

When do you think you'll be traveling down to visit? There are a million things to see and do down here. I gotta warn you though - you won't want to go back!
Wow! I forgot to mention, that I too am an Irishman! I may have to join you lads at the pub for a pint!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerBucksPA View Post
25 minutes is a little further than I was looking to being from the beach. cut off 10 minutes and that would be great. water activities in North Port?
If you want to be 10 minutes from the beach then you would have to go to south Venice or Englewood. The homes there in the 70K and under would be smaller and older than what you could get in North Port.

I just did a quick search of Venice and there are 7 homes available under 70K, most are two bedrooms or less, built in the 1970's and under 1000 sq ft.

There are 11 homes in Englewood that fit your criteria. I guess now it depends on if you want to be closer to the beach and have a smaller/older home or you'd like to be a little farther away and have a newer larger home.

From North Port the beach is 25 minutes, Venice or Englewood it's 10 minutes or less depending on where you are. There are canals in North Port that you can run a small jon boat in and you can catch fish in the canals but anything east of US 41 would not have access to the gulf. There is no beach in North Port though.

I'm Irish too, with a name like Shannon you can't get more Irish than that. I was named after the river Shannon in Ireland. So, when's the party

Yup, three minutes quicker than you BigHouse

Last edited by SoFLGal; 03-01-2009 at 05:15 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerBucksPA View Post
25 minutes is a little further than I was looking to being from the beach. cut off 10 minutes and that would be great. water activities in North Port?
Hey SoFlGal, you beat me to the post - again!

Hey LowerBucksPA,
Welcome to the board by the way. There are a lot of really helpful people here, as you will find out.

Well, North port is about 25 minutes or so, I'd say.
Its probably 15 -20 minutes from here.
I have a canal front home, with a pool, dock, boat lift, and my boat is steps from my back door! I'm 5 minutes to the harbor, and I can boat to a few beaches in 20 - 25 minutes once I get there as well.

Do you like fishing, snorkeling, crabbing and boating too? What kind of hobbies do you have? Are you a golfer?

Are you close to retiring?
Are you married, and / or have kids?
If you have kids or not, location to a good school is important because it effects your eventual re-sale - don't forget that cuz that is important.
How many months / weeks a year do you think you want to be down here?
You mentioned you wanted to be in the +/- 70 k range. I'll let the agents talk to you about that, but the more information you can give, the more help they'll be.
Again, when do you think you'll head down for a visit?

Old 03-01-2009, 05:35 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
If you're looking to be close to the beach, take a close look at South Venice. The community association has a ferry that takes members over to a private beach. The ferry runs back and forth at 20 minute intervals. There is also a community boat ramp that would allow you to launch your boat onto the intra-coastal waterway. You can also fish from shore. There is also a county park on the intra coastal with bike and hiking paths.
The shopping district on Venice Island is just a few minutes from most homes in South Venice.

One of the reasons you'll see older homes in the near coast communities is that when everything was available the best locations were built first. Most people looking to stay in an area for a vacation, don't want to spend it traveling to where they want to be, making it much harder to rent. Location is important if renting and resale are important considerations.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
you are all plastic irishmen !!! None of you have ever set foot in a bog I wager(well apart from SFG) the nearest Big House gets to irish is whiskey or Guinness (lots of it mind!!)

if the Op raises the bar, price wise a bit then -ROTONDA !! ideal rental area

Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
you are all plastic irishmen !!! None of you have ever set foot in a bog I wager(well apart from SFG) the nearest Big House gets to irish is whiskey or Guinness (lots of it mind!!)

if the Op raises the bar, price wise a bit then -ROTONDA !! ideal rental area
U better be nice or I'll let smiledoc1 verbally abuse you some more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area