Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM

24 posts, read 69,170 times

Advertisements

I'm looking on a map and the area I would like to identify and know the names of the developments in and between Avondale on the north and Clark Rd. on the south and between 75 and Tamiami Trail. I have seen a couple of nice homes listed and would like to know the names of the are and what the general opinion is of that area. Are all the neighborhoods there HOA's? What is the % more for homeowners ins. if the house is older and isn't concidered hurricane proof?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 04:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,297 times
That is a fairly large area to cover with one general opinion. For one Avondale, which is near downtown, to about Bee Ridge Road you would be in the jurisdiction of the City of Sarasota, from there to Clark Road and out to 75 in the County. If memory serves me correct I think way down Bahia Vista there may be some gated communities and also off Bee Ridge Extension. To the South of Clark Road is were you will find the majority of gated communities in Palmer Ranch.

There are many neighborhoods in the area you have asked about that are deed restricted that are not gated. There are so many you are better off figuring out your budget so we can go into detail about the ones that fit it.

There is a difference in lifestyle I think, depending on where you are in Sarasota. If you are looking for a charming quiet country setting on a bit more land you would probably want to look towards out East. If you like a faster pace, and in walking distance to small restaurants, quaint shops, in and around downtown, Southside Village are nice areas. If you want to be closer to US41 and not downtown or out east there are a number of older treed neighborhoods like Hillview, the flower streets, (none of which are deed restricted though) Also with easy access to Midtown Plaza, Downtown, higher end Southgate Mall and Southside Village. Jumping over to Landings off Procter Road on the west side of US41 (bayside) which is a gated community. It is a little older but still very nice and next to the Landings shopping center which is quite conveniant. The Phillippi Creek area has older homes and mature trees. The Pineshore area (west of US41) is a personal favorite, though not deed restricted is mixed with small old Florida homes, to multi - million dollar mansions on the Bay and canal front. It has easy access to Siesta Key, very walkable, (I do it all the time) and is located across the street from one of our most "dangerous" - I say that in a good way -shopping areas in Sarasota that's not in a mall, Sarasota Pavillion.

Some more detailed input from you would help, and I know SoFLGal would have more input and could probably cover the insurance questions.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
That is a fairly large area to cover with one general opinion. For one Avondale, which is near downtown, to about Bee Ridge Road you would be in the jurisdiction of the City of Sarasota, from there to Clark Road and out to 75 in the County. If memory serves me correct I think way down Bahia Vista there may be some gated communities and also off Bee Ridge Extension. To the South of Clark Road is were you will find the majority of gated communities in Palmer Ranch.

There are many neighborhoods in the area you have asked about that are deed restricted that are not gated. There are so many you are better off figuring out your budget so we can go into detail about the ones that fit it.

There is a difference in lifestyle I think, depending on where you are in Sarasota. If you are looking for a charming quiet country setting on a bit more land you would probably want to look toward out East. If you like a faster pace, and in walking distance to small restaurants, quaint shops, in and around downtown, Southside Village are nice areas. If you want to be closer to US41 and not downtown or out east there are a number of older treed neighborhoods like Hillview, the flower streets, (none of which are deed restricted though) Also with easy access to Midtown Plaza, Downtown, higher end Southgate Mall and Southside Village. Jumping over to Landings off Procter Road on the west side of US41 (bayside) which is a gated community. It is a little older but still very nice and next to the Landings shopping center which is quite conveniant. The Phillippi Creek area has older homes and mature trees. The Pineshore area (west of US41) is a personal favorite, though not deed restricted is mixed with small old Florida homes, to multi - million dollar mansions on the Bay and canal front. It has easy access to Siesta Key, very walkable, (I do it all the time) and is located across the street from one of our most "dangerous" - I say that in a good way -shopping areas in Sarasota that's not in a mall, Sarasota Pavillion.

Some more detailed input from you would help, and I know SoFLGal would have more input and could probably cover the insurance questions.
Hey, nice job Angelfish on the explanation of the layout! You've been a huge asset to the forum with your answers latley.

Yorkiemom, If you threw out an exact street we/I could tell you about the subdivision or neighborhood. Like, Angelfish said you are describing a large area.

Every neighborhood is different, some don't have any HOA and some do. Palmer Ranch for example has about different neighborhoods and neighborhoods within neighborhoods within them. Each one has their own HOA.

Can you describe the type of neighborhood you are looking for? Are older homes OK? Did you want to be in a gated community? What's your price range? Did you want to rent for a while til you get a lay of the land before buying (which I think might be a good idea if you are not that familiar with the area)? What kind of things do you like to do-golf, beaches, etc? Do you have school age children? Where are you moving from? What do you like/dislike about Florida?

As far as insurance goes, yes the costs can be considerably different between a new home and older home. That is one of the main factors with insurance but there are many more things to look for that the insurance companies take into consideration. Here are a few-age of the home, if it has a reinforced concrete roof deck, how your roof is attached, roof-to-wall connection, roof shape (hip is the best-it looks like a pyramid), what type of shutters and do they meet Miami-Dade code, how close your home is to a fire hydrant or natural body of water.

A few other things that are used to factor your premium are: Your location-the closer you are to the coast, the more vulnerable you are to damage caused by hurricane winds and this makes your hurricane-wind premium higher than similar homes in other areas of the state or county.
Improvements to your home: The state requires insurance companies to offer discounts for protecting your home against damage caused by hurricane winds. Securing your roof so it doesn't blow off and protecting your windows from flying debris are the two most cost effective measures you can take to safeguard your home and reduce your hurricane-wind premium. Discounts would only apply to the hurricane-wind portion of your policy.

Your maximum discount: Discounts are not calculated cumulatively. The total discount is not the sum of the individual discounts. Instead, when one discount is applied, other discounts are reduced until you reach your maximum discount of 90%. Discounts are figured by a percentage for instance if you had Olympus insurance and you had a hip roof that would be a 26% savings on your policy. If your roof was tied down using clips the discount would be 11% but if it was tied down using double wraps the discount would be 13%.

As you can see the whole insurance thing is a bit more complicated than just the age of the house but that is one important factor. I usually find a handful of homes that look interesting and then run them by my insurance gal and see how they rate.

You might also want to check out www.MySafeFloridaHome.com It's the website for the State of Florida that rates homes for wind resistance. I believe they are still checking homes for free right now. Getting your home rated is one of the biggest ways to save on your insurance.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,297 times
Thanks SoFlGal, I was trying to think and write quickly as my little ankle biter just woke from his nap. And by ankle biter I mean my son, though I do have a maltese

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info. Let's see, I'll try to answer some of the questions. No, really don't want to rent. Lived in Venice 25 years ago and realize it is more built up everywhere. Really liked Sarasota years ago and it just sounds even better now. Husband will be covering from Sarasota to Naples but since I live in the suburban Philly area I would be happier near Sarasota. Daughter all grown up. Husband golf's occasionally. I have a web business and also hope to continue my calligraphy business although with not a lot of weddings in a retirement area.....? Newer home sounds great but not thrilled to landscape, gutters, & have building going on for a year or more around me. Established manicured neighborhood (saw a home on Proctor Oaks Cr. that looked great) can have some privacy in my back yard. Need to fence in the yard for the 4 dogs. Would like a half acre and have a pool or build one, price between 350 and 450,000. Would love a serious kitchen with pantry and gas stove. Love to entertain outside. I really like walking but still want the private back yard...space. Don't like the idea of HOA but it sounds like it would make it harder to find a home in a short time. What I like about Florida is the weather. We used to wake up and say "another beautiful day". What I dislike is the bugs and July and August heat. Thanks for the insurance info. From what I understant when we find a house we must find a insurance agent to give us a quote. Sounds like alot to do in a long weekend of house hunting.......

Old 03-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMom4 View Post
Thanks for the info. Let's see, I'll try to answer some of the questions. No, really don't want to rent. Lived in Venice 25 years ago and realize it is more built up everywhere. Really liked Sarasota years ago and it just sounds even better now. Husband will be covering from Sarasota to Naples but since I live in the suburban Philly area I would be happier near Sarasota. Daughter all grown up. Husband golf's occasionally. I have a web business and also hope to continue my calligraphy business although with not a lot of weddings in a retirement area.....? Newer home sounds great but not thrilled to landscape, gutters, & have building going on for a year or more around me. Established manicured neighborhood (saw a home on Proctor Oaks Cr. that looked great) can have some privacy in my back yard. Need to fence in the yard for the 4 dogs. Would like a half acre and have a pool or build one, price between 350 and 450,000. Would love a serious kitchen with pantry and gas stove. Love to entertain outside. I really like walking but still want the private back yard...space. Don't like the idea of HOA but it sounds like it would make it harder to find a home in a short time. What I like about Florida is the weather. We used to wake up and say "another beautiful day". What I dislike is the bugs and July and August heat. Thanks for the insurance info. From what I understant when we find a house we must find a insurance agent to give us a quote. Sounds like alot to do in a long weekend of house hunting.......
Ah, well if you know the area already then you should be ok to buy. I just don't like it when people move here from out of the area, buy and then wish they lived in another part of town.

Proctor Oaks is a neat little area. I believe there are only 8 custom homes in that little area. I think all of the homes were built by Arthur Ruttenberg, a well respected local builder, Most of the homes were built in the late 1980's, are larger (around 2800 sq ft under air or more) and I believe they all sit on a half acre of land. The HOA is $200 per year and it's deed restricted. Not many homes come up in here since there are only a few in this subdivision.

If you are looking for property with at least a half acre that's going to narrow down your search quite a bit so here are my suggestions for areas: Desoto Acres (off Shade), Desoto Pines (east of Lockwood Ridge), Racimo Ranchettes (east of I-75 off Fruitville), Oak Ford (8 miles east of I-75 off Fruitville), Angus Acres (off Bee Ridge east of I-75), Rainbow Ranch Acres(Fruitville east of I-75), Myakka Valley Ranches (Clark to 72 and east), Pine Tree Acres (off Beneva), Palm Oaks (off Fruitville then north to Honore), Pleasant Acres (off Fruitville and Honore), Lakes Estates (Bahia Vista to McIntosh-cool community with half acre plus lots), Sherwood Estates (off McIntosh), Three Oaks (Proctor & Honore), Deer Creek (east of I-75 on Fruitville), Palmer Farms (east on Bee Ridge), Shady Creek (off Shade), Gator Creek Estates (off Bee Ridge extension), Bent Tree (off Proctor, a few homes with some land).

Well, that should about do it for places with a 1/2 acre or more in Sarasota in that price range. There are more further south in Nokomis, Osprey and Venice, etc. but those are most of them in Sarasota.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM

SoFlGal,
You and Angelfish have been so very helpful. Thank you and we will continue to do the research.....I am sure I will have more questions and it is so nice to experience your southern hospitality we so lack here in the North!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMom4 View Post
SoFlGal,
You and Angelfish have been so very helpful. Thank you and we will continue to do the research.....I am sure I will have more questions and it is so nice to experience your southern hospitality we so lack here in the North!
I'm glad you found it helpful! Give a shout out if you need anymore help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area