Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 PM

234 posts, read 1,063,002 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've really been enjoying the information that this forum provides. Thanks. I am an African American professional from Tampa who is retiring this year and want to move out of the city. My question is this, would Venice be a good fit for my wife and I. We've been there many times for the day and have really enjoyed it, but we've never seen another black person. This doesn't bother us at all but also want to make sure that we're not moving to an area that won't except us. Any thoughts? Thanks everybody. Please be honest, your opinion is important to us. Steven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Hmmm..... I looked up the demographics of Venice, and it is over 98% white. Venice is mostly retirees, so since you are retiring I am assuming you will at least be in the predominant age bracket. I used to live in Sarasota, but honestly can't say if the lack of diversity would be any problem. I think the main thing would be if you and your wife would feel comfortable, especially after having lived in such a culturally and ethnically diverse city as Tampa. Maybe you could rent for awhile and see how it works out? Good luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:14 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,847 times
Hi:

You asked if the community would 'except' you but I assume you meant 'accept' you? Anyway, I believe that the previous reply to your post was accurate.....there are very few black people in Venice and adjoining towns, and for that matter there are not many minorities of any description but I don't see why it would be an issue in today's climate of racial harmony.

It's a nice place to work and live and, although there aren't as many cultural activities as in Tampa, it's offset by a lower rate of crime and a more laid back lifestyle.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:43 AM

234 posts, read 1,063,002 times
Yes, "accept" is exactly what I meant. The other one I confuse is "past and passed". I know the difference, of course, just not sure that my fingers do. Thanks for your opinions. Keep them coming.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetchie View Post
Yes, "accept" is exactly what I meant. The other one I confuse is "past and passed". I know the difference, of course, just not sure that my fingers do. Thanks for your opinions. Keep them coming.
Streetchie: I'm a bass player and I totally know what you mean about knowing the difference, but not being sure that your fingers do!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:13 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,007 times
I think you would like Brandon , Riverview area , which is considerated the outskirts of Tampa . and is a lot more reasonable then Venice, Taxes and hoinsurance. Still close enought to get to beaches in 30 mins or so. I love that area, I love the Venice, bradenton beaches. But to me there are mostly older retirees 70- or so there. We stop at Walmart on our way and see mostly retirees.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
in case you are still interested in information about the Venice area--my daughter moved there two years ago after her marriage...her husband is consultant who travels week to week--she teaches at elementary school in area--they live in condo he purchased before marriage---there are mainly retireed+ people there who really have never accepted them and they are WASPs--but not Jewish or from back east like most of the other residents....
they don't have any friends who live in Venice itself really--their closest friends are another teacher in her grade level and her husband and they recently moved to Nort Port---
From what she says-where you choose to live would make a big difference--before he was married, my SIL did not care about the other residents in his bldg--he just wanted place close to beach where he could go fishing or kayaking fairly easily---now that she is there 24/7 she is one who misses interaction w/neighbors....and the teachers at her school have not gone out of their way to make her feel welcome either--
they are not church people or tennis people---they aren't "joiners" so guess that makes a difference...
We agree that Venice is lovely town--much perfer its "old town" main st to the strip to and from Sarasota or the blank canvass of some place like North Port....If we were to buy second home in that area--I think I would like to be on the Island....my husband does not see that much difference between it and one of the other developments s of sarasoto....he doesn't like the idea of FL as second home much at all though--
Hope you have made a decision you are happy with...
Lots of stuff for sale and prices will probably go down some more, at least until the next election--if a democrat gets in, think they will firm up again....people aren't really selling from distressed situation yet from what we could tell from our last visit there--just trying to get what they can before market falls more--so this is discretionary selling--they don't have to take a low offer that hurts...

Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM

35 posts, read 108,680 times
I would agree with most of everything that has been said. I am in my early 30's with 2 kids here and even with the kids in school with there friends there isn't much interaction outside of that unless you are neighbors. Venice is mostly retiree's but that demographic is changing somewhat but not to much. I have lived here since 1996 and have been coming here since 1976. It has changed dramatically. My kids and I are now looking into leaving the state all together. Overall any area in southwest florida is to expensive for us working class. I am a single father of two and the wages verses the cost of living is, well...... not even close to having a life outside of the home. Venice as well as most of southwest florida is pushing us younger families out. Especially since the new construction is dead for the most part and people in all lines of construction are being layed of left and right. My folks have lived here also since 1998 and are retired and they love it!! But that being said, they are in their early sixties and most of there friends are in there early to late seventies. I think the venice area is second to naples with the oldest age group of retiree's. I won't be suprised if in the next few yrs. when the housing market levels out that they leave the area also and probably the state. The age differences for them is quite bothersome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area