Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 08:17 AM

65 posts, read 318,893 times

Advertisements

We live in p.a. and are thinking about moving to florida - husband got a good job offer. looking at the pro's and con's - my 3 boys 5-8-12 love being outside and are big into skateboarding. They would have more time to do that in fl rather than pa on the other hand I will miss my family (they will not come and see me - they really don't come to p.a either. I would love to rent first and was thinking about the Venice area ( my husband came from Itaily and I think he would like it)My dad anh his family live in Sarasota- how are the schools and the area - is it all day kindagarden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 02:54 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,018 times
Where is the job? You don't want a long commute for your husband. I live near Sarasota and it is really nice here. The kindergarten is full day. Your child must be five years old on or before 9-1-07 to be eligible. They are building a skate park in North Port I think and one is Englewood is planned. Sarasota county has alot of nice parks, the sports park in Englewood is really nice where the kids play baseball and soccer.

There is alot to offer in Sarasota County, Venice has a much older population, but there are lots of new developments attracting families. I live in Englewood, but in Charlotte County and the schools here are pretty good. You have some trashy people and generational/cyclical drug issues here, so being involved positively in your child's welfare/success is a must!

Come down and visit!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 PM

The job would be in Sarasota, I think we would rent first until I know how much he would make. Full-day kind. is great because that means I could get a job. I don't want to be to far from my dad in Sarasota ( so he could baby sit my kids) I'm 38 and my husband is 45 . Is Venice much older then that? do you know anything about North Port?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM

15 posts, read 68,266 times
We live in North Port.
Where do you live in Pa? We moved to North Port in Aug. from the York, Pa area (although we only lived there for 1 1/2 years - before that we lived in Cape Coral, Fl for 10 years).
We miss Pa. still - it's so beautiful there!
North Port already has a skate park. I have 4 children - 2 boys in the Middle school (only one right now but a new one is planned to open in 2008) and 2 girls in Elem. school.
I really enjoy North Port because it's close enough to Sarasota (and we're in Sarasota County schools) and many of the great beaches in that area and yet also close to Port Charlotte where we can head to the mall, movies, etc within 5 mins. We live right near the Charlotte County border.
North Port is growing. Housing is more affordable than Sarasota. Best of luck on your search.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:07 AM

I live in Stroudsburg- I looked out the window this moring and I'm starting to see the ground. The last snow fall was 16 ins. My 5 yr. old can wait to go camping. I have to be honest, I don't think I will miss this. What do you miss about P.A. I have 4 other members of my family that live in Queens and the haven't been to my house in 2 yreas and I haven't been to NY in 3 months. I think being able to just get in the car and go there when I want will be the only thing I will miss

Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 AM

15 posts, read 68,266 times
What we miss about Pa. ~

The scenery - every time I drove to my house and there was the rolling hills and houses not on top of each other (except in the new developments) I was always in awe. It was just so beautiful.
We miss fall ---being able to drive to amish country.
Having the kids learn so much about out countries history by living near so many wonderful state parks, etc.
Being able to drive 3 hours or less and end up in Philly, Baltimore, Virginia,etc.

So why did we move back to Fla? LOL
Mainly due to my DH's work. His old boss here in Fla. kept raising the pay for him to come back.
Pa. didn't pay as much (believe it or not, lol).
My parents are here in Fla.
But Dh's family in Pa...and my sister in Nj. - so we miss that too.
Ahhh --at least my kids have been in the Northeast and got the chance to see snow and snowboard.
They do love it here too though. We just bought a Jet Ski and they love that.
I guess it's what you make of it. We can drive 3 hours give or take and be in Miami....2 hours and be in the most magical place of all (Disney!).
There is always positives and negatives wherever you live.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 AM

your right - there are positives and negatives. I have been here 9 years - I was happy the first 3 because I looked foward to doing different things but the last few we really haven't done much. I'm just looking foward to a change. My sons love being out doors but really don't like the snow. I think Florida will be fun.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:41 PM

142 posts, read 578,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachykeen View Post
What we miss about Pa. ~

The scenery - every time I drove to my house and there was the rolling hills and houses not on top of each other (except in the new developments) I was always in awe. It was just so beautiful.
We miss fall ---being able to drive to amish country.
Having the kids learn so much about out countries history by living near so many wonderful state parks, etc.
Being able to drive 3 hours or less and end up in Philly, Baltimore, Virginia,etc.

So why did we move back to Fla? LOL
Mainly due to my DH's work. His old boss here in Fla. kept raising the pay for him to come back.
Pa. didn't pay as much (believe it or not, lol).
My parents are here in Fla.
But Dh's family in Pa...and my sister in Nj. - so we miss that too.
Ahhh --at least my kids have been in the Northeast and got the chance to see snow and snowboard.
They do love it here too though. We just bought a Jet Ski and they love that.
I guess it's what you make of it. We can drive 3 hours give or take and be in Miami....2 hours and be in the most magical place of all (Disney!).
There is always positives and negatives wherever you live.

Love the scenery in Pa also... I live in Port Saint Lucie 7 months out of the year. And when I drive 3 hours to for a get away road trip I end up ...... in a city that looks just like Port Saint Lucie...!...Yay...

I (also) continue to stay in Fla for the better pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area