U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,557 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Florida within the next year and a half. By the time I move, I'll be a college grad with a major in Finance. Here's my situation..

I want to live in the Siesta Key area (or right outside of it). I'll be looking for an apartment/condo in the $700-800 range. Is this practical?

Also, as I begin to limit my list of companies I am interested in working for...I am talking with Prudential, Ameriprise (so far its my top choice) and Edward Jones. My question here is..where exactly are these companies located in Sarasota or near SK? I'll be moving from Ohio. Last time I was down there I thought I remembered seeing Edward Jones in downtown Sarasota (I thought it was near the Ringling bride) and I though I remember seeing an Amerirpise on Stickney Pt. Is this right?

Also, is it a reasonable idea to live in SK and work in Sarasota?

Finally, would I be able to meet a lot of people in my age range (20-24)? Does downtown Sarasota offer a variety of nightlife?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,890,004 times
I don't really do rentals so I'm not exactly sure of the prices out there but $700-$800 sounds really low for the key. It is reasonable to live on Siesta and work in Sarasota but Siesta becomes pretty congested in the winter time. I'd call a few rental companies to see what they say the going rate is on and around Siesta. Also you may want to check Craigslist.

A few places to check out for the younger professional crowd in Sarasota are Gators on Main St, Daiquiri Deck on the key and The Beach Club (if it's still around, haven't been out there four a while) on Siesta as well.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 PM

64 posts, read 120,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I don't really do rentals so I'm not exactly sure of the prices out there but $700-$800 sounds really low for the key. It is reasonable to live on Siesta and work in Sarasota but Siesta becomes pretty congested in the winter time. I'd call a few rental companies to see what they say the going rate is on and around Siesta. Also you may want to check Craigslist.

A few places to check out for the younger professional crowd in Sarasota are Gators on Main St, Daiquiri Deck on the key and The Beach Club (if it's still around, haven't been out there four a while) on Siesta as well.
Dh I and I LOVE the Daquiri deck! LOVE IT.
He also likes Gilligans, which is across the street I think.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 AM

Thank you both for your insight so far!

I too love the Daquiri Deck! I go there every time I am in SK. I'm also a fan of Siesta Key Oyster Bar (if either of you have been there).

Ideally, I would enjoy living near Siesta Village so that I can get (what I consider the "relaxed" nightlife-- a few bars) and then venture into downtown Sarasota.

I'm mainly looking to live near the beach--SK would be ideal. And then I plan on working either right across the bridge or in downtown Sarasota.

What should I expect when I move initially?-- prices of gas/groceries/clothing (in general or compared to OH if you are familiar)
What is the traffic like into downtown Sarasota during the workweek? How much time should I give myself to get from SK (If I end up there) to get to downtown Sarasota for work?

Thanks so far!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

SoFLGal--

I also want to ask you, would an Ohio Real Estate License transfer to Sarasota? I will be taking the final class needed in OH (real estate appraisal) soon and plan on getting my license (hoping the market can bounce back in the next 2 years). I would love to get into the market down there once we get our head above water.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,890,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to be there View Post
SoFLGal--

I also want to ask you, would an Ohio Real Estate License transfer to Sarasota? I will be taking the final class needed in OH (real estate appraisal) soon and plan on getting my license (hoping the market can bounce back in the next 2 years). I would love to get into the market down there once we get our head above water.
Hey there,

From Siesta the drive is about 15 minutes to downtown Sarasota. Add another 10 minutes or so in the winter due to the snowbirds. I don't think traffic is that bad in downtown Sarasota, IMO.

My mother/partner are slammed right now but we deal mostly in foreclosures. We have 14 closings set for March. Most of the other Realtors in my office seem to pretty busy as well and they don't deal with foreclosures. It appears that Ohio is not one of the states that has a reciprocal license with Florida. This is where I took my classes and they list the states that are and other information about obtaining your license in Florida: Licensure Requirements (http://www.edklopfer.com/licensereqs.htm#reciprocal - broken link)

I can't really comment on the other issues with groceries, gas, clothing, etc, since I'm a native Floridian. I'm sure there are other people that can chime in on that question though.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 PM

62 posts, read 185,208 times
We were there a couple of weeks ago looking for a rental and the least expensive thing we found in Siesta Key was a cute but very tiny 2/2 condo near the village for $1400. However, we had to limit our search because we have two cats and a lot of condos won't allow pets due to HOA rules (ridiculous!). If pets aren't an issue for you, you may have better luck. Happy hunting!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM

16,850 posts, read 36,492,584 times
I don't think there will be anything "cheap" right on Siesta Key unless you can find someone with a garage apartment or rental unit attached to their house. Siesta is primo real estate, and we are in the "season."

Checking Craigslist is probably your best bet - if you can find something you will certainly love it there - good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area