Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 16,400 times

Advertisements

We're looking at buying a house , and would be replacing a LOT of carpet with hardwood floors because of allergies. Any recs on:
- good installers/companies
- good experience with certain products
- pitfalls to avoid
- any guesses as to cost /sq foot

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,681 times
One caution: Do you have a dog?

We put a beautiful laminate floating floor in our kitchen and entrance area several years ago. I did not realize that it would scratch so easily from the dog's nails when she runs around. With weeks, it developed a dull patina from this. In retrospect it was probably not the best choice. Talk to your retailer about it before making a selection. I think actual plank wood would have held up better.

Rhys

Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 PM

63 posts, read 132,274 times
Hi Teawaste,

How old is your house and what's under your carpet. It's very vogue to restore terrazzo if you're lucky enough to have it.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:46 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
I always wondered doesn't the floor warp due to the humidity?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Yes, I've seen many homes with wood floors have problems with warping. That is one reason why you don't see it much down here, it's mostly tile. I wonder how bamboo flooring would do. I've seen that in a few "green homes" and it looked good and didn't appear to be warped.

I think wood floors are more of an "up north" kinda thing.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Unhappy I've Had Both

I have had both hard wood floors and the laminate...and I can tell you...stay away from the laminate......not only does it lift in spots...but it scrathes easily...

Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
I had bamboo it dents and scratches very easy.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM

24 posts, read 69,151 times
I have no experience with FL humidity but as far as scratching...took a coin and tried to scratch Traffic Master laminate brand. It has been down 6 years in my sun room with not a scratch. Test it out on the sample in the store.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Wood flooring does not usually do very well down here. When I was looking to purchase it was undesirable to have a home with wood flooring. It draws moisture in, and will also stain and turn black below the finish if it gets wet. It will draw moisture by a wicking process up from below the subfloors and through the walls where ever moisture can get to it.

That said, I have a home in MD, and I installed beautiful 3/4 natural cherry tongue and groove flooring through out the first floor of my house. It looks awesome! I love the look of wood floors, but would avoid having them installed down here, and one of the posters is correct in saying that a lot of the wood flooring that is laminate, or plywood layered, does scratch pretty easily. ;-(.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:45 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Proper installation allows the material to sit in the house & acclimate for a couple of days prior to laying it. For a real wood floor a moisture test should be done. I can't remember what the tolerances are, but if your slab holds moisture wood floors will fail fairly quickly. The old Pergo had a lot of trouble with warping, but the new generation is less disposed to this type of failure.

If you want the wood look with less issues consider a vinyl plank floor. It has the look of wood, but you care for it the way you would for vinyl. It comes in plank form in many colors. I had it in my house in North Port and the home appraiser was fooled by it and believed it was a real wood floor. I like this type of material because you can lay it just like a wood floor, straight or on the 45.

Here is the material that I recommend http://www.owencarpet.com/amtico-ess...inyl-plank.htm Many flooring retailers offer this product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area