Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM

48 posts, read 131,464 times

Advertisements

I recently posted a thread in the Fl forum, but figured i'd have better luck if i post in here.

My boyfriend and I want to move to Fl (not exactly sure where). from upstate NY. I am leaning toward the Sarasota/Bradenton area because I have been there years ago when my brother lived there. However, I do not remember everything.

ABOUT US: I am caucasian, 23 and have a bachelor's degree in psychology and my boyfriend is black, 25 and has an associate's in graphic design. We both currently work in NY for an agency that supports developmentally disabled adults and make between 11.75-14 an hour (he makes more than me because he works in a more diificult house).

What we are looking for: Of course, we would come visit before making a decision, however, i would just like to get some feedback.

We would need to rent. we would be looking to spend between 900-1000 all utilities included. is this possible in sarasota? I would also be bringing a small dog with us.

We would want to have some job security before moving down. Would it be difficult to find employment? are there agencies in sarasota like the one we work for? I would love to put my degree to use and perhaps do case management, or something along those lines. I'm very open about suggestions about what kind of job i could get there.

Also, Do you believe that there is a racist problem in Sarasota that would view our relationship poorly because we are a interracial couple? I don't get that vibe, but i'm not sure.

Would my boyfriend have a difficult time finding a job with his graphic design degree. He would also consider working for an agency like we do now.

If I can't find what i'm lookin for in Sarasota? where else in fl could i find it?

Any comments/idea/advice would help
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usherslove05 View Post
I recently posted a thread in the Fl forum, but figured i'd have better luck if i post in here.

My boyfriend and I want to move to Fl (not exactly sure where). from upstate NY. I am leaning toward the Sarasota/Bradenton area because I have been there years ago when my brother lived there. However, I do not remember everything.
How many years ago? It's changed.

ABOUT US: I am caucasian, 23 and have a bachelor's degree in psychology and my boyfriend is black, 25 and has an associate's in graphic design. We both currently work in NY for an agency that supports developmentally disabled adults and make between 11.75-14 an hour (he makes more than me because he works in a more diificult house).
Are you coming from NYC? hope not cause your pay sounds too low...

What we are looking for: Of course, we would come visit before making a decision, however, i would just like to get some feedback.

We would need to rent. we would be looking to spend between 900-1000 all utilities included. is this possible in sarasota? I would also be bringing a small dog with us.
Rents are down so yes, that's possible.

We would want to have some job security before moving down. Would it be difficult to find employment? are there agencies in sarasota like the one we work for? I would love to put my degree to use and perhaps do case management, or something along those lines. I'm very open about suggestions about what kind of job i could get there.
We currently are heading above 10% unemployment that doesn't count under the table workers who've been let go. There are some......and just to let you know, competition is STIFF...you need to check out craigslist sarasota bradenton.

Also, Do you believe that there is a racist problem in Sarasota that would view our relationship poorly because we are a interracial couple? I don't get that vibe, but i'm not sure.
Not really an issue.

Would my boyfriend have a difficult time finding a job with his graphic design degree. He would also consider working for an agency like we do now.
jobs are scarce to nonexistent.

If I can't find what i'm lookin for in Sarasota? where else in fl could i find it?

Miami, Orlando, Tampa

Any comments/idea/advice would help
THANKS
Ok, I"ll takle this...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 AM

16 posts, read 84,071 times
We moved down last yr from NY and love it here though there are some issues...jobs...there are very few and the pay sucks, if youre not coming down with $$$$ or a pension youre going to have a tough time...The peeps....everyone here is a transplant for the most part, most everyone here is from the midwest, lets just say very differen t Moderator cut: unnecessary and unkind

.....youll meet and befriend folks from europe and the northeast...was told i was wrong from someone here visiting for three days...live here and youll see for yourself is all i can say...def more prejudiced than up north...its still the south down here...heard the N word used numerous times at a job I was working at.....bradenton, most areas are really bad..stay away...a nice affordable apt complex is in sarasota off of fruitville...under $800 a month, great central location..they allow dogs which is a biggie..has a pool and gym too...not trying to ruin your plans but want you to know what youre getting into, that being said sarasota is beautiful, the beaches and weather are just awesome..best of luck!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-21-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 84,071 times
nearly forgot, the apt complex was called gateway lakes I believe...

Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
Moderator cut: remark was deleted

"like talking to a brick wall"???? EXCUSE ME???? How can you paint everyone from the midwest with such ridiculous comments????? That is just plain rude, and I resent it. A number of people on this board have met us, and I'm sure they would tell you we are anything but!! We have met many people from New York too, and have our opinions of most of them too, but we would certainly never call EVERYONE from New York one thing or another, and certainly not on a public forum like you do people from the Midwest here. I am very insulted.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-21-2009 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 01:48 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
do they not have any expensive zombies ??

Old 03-21-2009, 06:06 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
do they not have any expensive zombies ??
I was thinking the same thing

Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 AM

11 posts, read 33,191 times
I’m from Upstate New York and have traveled throughout most of the world and have visited every state with the exception of Alaska. It’s been my experience that there are friendly people everywhere. But of all the people I’ve met, the most friendly have been from the Midwest, Wisconsin natives being right on top. Good, God fearing, hard working, self reliant, never looking for a handout, yet always willing to give.

My wife and I where going to retire to Venice in November, but it looks like I’ll be able to retire a little early so you can expect me in paradise sometime early this summer. “mrcoolmrcool28” your exactly the kind of people I’d love to have as a neighbor.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I was thinking the same thing
SoFLGal,
You disappoint me.
I think I have it figured out. The cost of living in NY is more than the cost of living in the midwest, so Prozac is more expensive in NY than in the midwest. Thus the term "cheap zombies on Prozac" refers to midwesterners who live in Florida. The ones from NY are the "rich zombies on Prozac". And since the east coast of Florida tends to draw more NYers than the west coast, which draws more midwesterners, the metaphor is quite clear to me.
Or maybe I don't have it figured out. Lemme get my Prozac and I'll see if I can make more sense later.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:51 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
When I read posts in the forum talking about the great masses of prozac mid-westerners or rich zombies NYers, I realize that I must not travel or live in the same parts of Florida as many of the poster on CD.

I tend to live in a more mixed area with many friendly and interesting people. I run into people that live in Florida that come from all over the US (including Florida) and the world. On my street alone, we have people from India, Greece, Kentucky, Maryland, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, New York, and Florida if you consider the children that were born here..

I come in contact with mixed race and same sex couples. I know people from every imaginable industry.

I think if you are open and friendly you'll find this area of the world to be open and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area