U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM

128 posts, read 307,380 times

Advertisements

There appears to be alot of decent looking homes ilisted on the MLS in North Port for under $130,000. What's the catch? Would you relocate here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:04 PM

62 posts, read 162,162 times
i did three years ago from ohio, wish i would of waited another year though to get the good deals on homes now. i'm not worried about my house. cuz i'm not going anywhere! my quess would be some of these homes are foreclosures with the low prices.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 PM

338 posts, read 907,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfishing View Post
There appears to be alot of decent looking homes ilisted on the MLS in North Port for under $130,000. What's the catch? Would you relocate here?
WE did relocate here. Many homes were built in the last few years by speculators hoping for a quick flip. When the market went bust many either lost their homes or walked away.Many homes are short sales or foreclosures and can be good buys. We are satisfied with our move here. It really depends on what suits your needs as to whether NorthPort is for you.Good luck on your search.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM

7,486 posts, read 20,748,249 times
I live in North Port and love it here! There were a lot of investors that bought here in the boom years and have lost their homes to foreclosure. The banks just want to unload the property they have and have lowered the prices significantly to get rid of the homes. Also when the market went south, the construction jobs dried up as well. Many people lost their homes in NP because of this.

If you can tell us a little about yourself we can probably tell you if North Port is a good fit for you. Do you have a job already lined up are you retired? Are schools a concern? What kind of things do you like to do? What are you looking for in a community? Where are you moving from? Why are you moving to Florida?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I live in North Port and love it here! There were a lot of investors that bought here in the boom years and have lost their homes to foreclosure. The banks just want to unload the property they have and have lowered the prices significantly to get rid of the homes. Also when the market went south, the construction jobs dried up as well. Many people lost their homes in NP because of this.

If you can tell us a little about yourself we can probably tell you if North Port is a good fit for you. Do you have a job already lined up are you retired? Are schools a concern? What kind of things do you like to do? What are you looking for in a community? Where are you moving from? Why are you moving to Florida?
I am an RN in NY and in the process of obtaining my Florida license. My wife currently works for a health insurance organization as a project manager, but has been working on becoming a physical therapist. My son will be graduating from HS this year and wants to get into marine biology/ fisheries. We love the beach and we are big into the fishing. We are looking to relocate this summer, but still unsure exactly where. Have been to west coast only once near Clearwater, but have visited the east coast several times. We would love to buy a newer home in Florida this summer, but want to be sure on the location. Would like to be in a nice, safe neighborhood, prefer no HOA's and a decent commute that is near some medical facilities for my employment opportunities. It appears that homeowners insurance is much more on the west coast, but taxes are similiar to the east coast.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I am an RN in NY and in the process of obtaining my Florida license. My wife currently works for a health insurance organization as a project manager, but has been working on becoming a physical therapist. My son will be graduating from HS this year and wants to get into marine biology/ fisheries. We love the beach and we are big into the fishing. We are looking to relocate this summer, but still unsure exactly where. Have been to west coast only once near Clearwater, but have visited the east coast several times. We would love to buy a newer home in Florida this summer, but want to be sure on the location. Would like to be in a nice, safe neighborhood, prefer no HOA's and a decent commute that is near some medical facilities for my employment opportunities. It appears that homeowners insurance is much more on the west coast, but taxes are similiar to the east coast.
It looks like North Port might be a good option for you. It is central to the Sarasota area and Ft. Myers. So , you could jump on I-75 in NP and be in either city in around 40-45 mins give or take. This should give a wider range for job looking.

Mote Marine in Sarasota is a great place for a new marine biologist to get some hands on training.

North Port is about 25 minutes from the beach but there are plenty of canals that you can pull some nice fish out of.

Since 95% of North Port is not in a flood zone the insurance is pretty reasonable. I live in NP and will use my home as an example. It's 2127 under air, built in 2003, hip roof, hurricane shutters and not in a flood zone and the insurance is $727 per year.

A few things that insurance companies take into consideration when evaluating your home are: age of the home, style of roof (hip roof is best), how close the home is to a fire hydrant or natural body of water, what type of hurricane protection the home has, how the roof is tied down, and if it's in a flood zone. Once you purchase your home I would recommend going to www.MySafeFloridaHome.com and having the state of Florida come out and do a wind inspection. I think they are still doing them for free and it can reduce your homeowners insurance by a large amount. Mine went from $1987 per year to $727 per year.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 AM

321 posts, read 945,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Mote Marine in Sarasota is a great place for a new marine biologist to get some hands on training.
SoFLGal is right, Mote is a world-class research facility. They have several different divisions/projects, and are a 50-minute drive north of North Port. One of their main research focuses is aquaculture. But they also have a dolphin/whale/sea turtle hospital, and are well-respected in their shark research.

Being in North Port means you are centrally located to some of the best beaches/fishing in the world, without having to pay the price of being on the beach. It's a mere 35-40 minute drive to Boca Grande, where you can fish for tarpon with the rest of the world... and maybe even get a shark instead. Hammerheads have been seen there often. Punta Gorda/Charlotte Harbor is also a great place for fishing (cue Big House and a picture of his grouper ).

The beaches of Manasota Key, Venice, Siesta Key, Lido Key, and Longboat Key are world-class. There is also a vast county park system, as well as an abundance of state parks... all at your back door. And when you're ready for some "city" life, Punta Gorda, Sarasota, Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando... are all short drives away. Even Miami is only 4 hours.

Good luck. Now is certainly the time. Our home sales are on the up-swing, which means these prices aren't going to last forever!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the information. It has been very helpful.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM

A few more questions for you. Are there parts in North Port that I should stay away from? Also, I understand that the salt water fishing is great, but how is the fresh water fishing....i.e Bass fishing.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
A few more questions for you. Are there parts in North Port that I should stay away from? Also, I understand that the salt water fishing is great, but how is the fresh water fishing....i.e Bass fishing.
I wouldn't say there are any parts of North Port that you should necessarily stay away from but I could help you decide which area might be best for you. If you want a more rural neighborhood then east of I-75 and east of Toledo Blade would be the area that you would probably search in. If you were looking for a more established neighborhood then you would be looking in between Chamberlain Blvd and Biscayne Blvd. If you are OK with an older home, i.e. built in the 1960's-1980's then you would be looking in the south Biscayne Blvd area.

North Port is kind of different, because other than the gated communities it really doesn't have many designated subdivisions. All neighborhoods are referred to by the main road they run off of. Starting from east to west in North Port the main roads are: Biscayne Blvd, Sumter Blvd, Salford Blvd, Cranberry Blvd, Chamberlain Blvd, Toledo Blade Blvd, Haberland Blvd, San Mateo Blvd and Atwater Blvd. I live in the Chamberlain area-off of Chamberlain Blvd. I know it does seem a little confusing but once you get familiar with the streets you'll get the hang of it.

So, if you described the type of neighborhood you are looking for I can direct you to an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area