U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM

2,283 posts, read 2,036,949 times

Advertisements

Hi! I\'m relocating to the Sarasota area soon. I\'ve come across 2 rentals that interest me. 1) a 1-bed apt. in a house converted to a duplex that I\'m told is \"West of the Trail\"(Hwy 41) and just North of downtown Sarasota. I\'m told some of houses next door sell for $450,000 and there is a mix with nicely kept more modest homes. 2) A 1bed cottage (in a duplex) in the resort community called \"Tiki on the Bay\" in Englewood (on Lemon Bay). I\'m told in the 1950\'s it used to be a motel and kind of has an \"old Florida feel\" with a pier overlooking the bay, tiki hut, pool, small private beach. Both options 1 & 2 rent for about $800/month. I\'m the type that enjoys the more unique rental, privacy, and not so much the big \"cookie cutter\" condo/apt. complexes (even with all the amenities). Can you comment on pros and cons of these 2 areas please? Thanks -
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 AM

190 posts, read 721,931 times
Hi wondermint2, sorry I cannot help with your questions but I wish you the best of luck in your move. I will be looking to rent in Sarasota once my house sells hear in WI. I was curious as to where you found these rentals and if you talked to the landlords or property management about them. It is no fun trying to find something when you don't live in the area. I see a lot of rentals on Craigslist but how do you know who to trust when you hear about all the scams?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:43 AM

16,225 posts, read 34,771,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Hi! I\'m relocating to the Sarasota area soon. I\'ve come across 2 rentals that interest me. 1) a 1-bed apt. in a house converted to a duplex that I\'m told is \"West of the Trail\"(Hwy 41) and just North of downtown Sarasota. I\'m told some of houses next door sell for $450,000 and there is a mix with nicely kept more modest homes. 2) A 1bed cottage (in a duplex) in the resort community called \"Tiki on the Bay\" in Englewood (on Lemon Bay). I\'m told in the 1950\'s it used to be a motel and kind of has an \"old Florida feel\" with a pier overlooking the bay, tiki hut, pool, small private beach. Both options 1 & 2 rent for about $800/month. I\'m the type that enjoys the more unique rental, privacy, and not so much the big \"cookie cutter\" condo/apt. complexes (even with all the amenities). Can you comment on pros and cons of these 2 areas please? Thanks -
Without having personally seen either one, I am going to take a guess that based on your previous posts, you would enjoy the Englewood option more. I think you will have more of the privacy and old Florida feel that you like. It's hard to say though without knowing exactly where the one in Sarasota is, I just think the area would be "busier" in that location.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,546,934 times
I agree with gypsychic, Englewood has more of a bohemian feel than downtown Sarasota.
Both areas will place you very near public beach access. Englewood will be much more away from the crowd, fewer places to shop, fewer restaurants, less traffic, quieter.
However the "tiki on the bay" in Englewood that I'm familiar with is more of a vacation rental place with weekly rental rates from $500 - $800 per week. Will you be able to get a long term rental there?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM

4,845 posts, read 13,234,606 times
Quote:
West of Trail, north of downtown is probably fine...I've probably seen it already..lol...

I found my new place on craigslist.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM

88 posts, read 351,292 times
Make the trip-first...you'll be glad you did. There are places in Sarasota that tend to get a scary.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM

2,025 posts, read 6,212,699 times
just north of downtown SRQ, if close to 41, is not a nice area. More west would be along the water, and that would be more expensive. There isn't much privacy in SRQ period. Englewood's great for peace and quiet!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 AM

2,283 posts, read 2,036,949 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I\'ll elaborate a bit further. I\'m told the houses across the street from the house (duplex) I am considering renting have water access and the rental is a 5 minute walk to the beach. From the pictures the landlord mailed me it looks like a nice residential street. So even though the area is a few minutes north of downtown Sarasota it appears to be in the nicer more expensive part farther West of 41 near the water access. I would have a private screened lanai in front and in the back my bedroom has french doors that open up to deck in the backyard that has a nice privacy fence --so it looks like a good place to sit outside and enjoy coffee in the morning. The other tenant in the building is a quiet eldery woman and there is a room that seperates the 2 units from where her tv is. So landlord thinks it should be quiet. The duplex cottage in Englewood is in a resort/vacation \"complex\" called \"Tiki on the Bay\" --however I found an owner willing to rent me on a 12/month lease for $850 which is really a fantastic deal because in season many of the rentals there go for $2000/month. If you google \"Tiki on the Bay Englewood\" you can see several other owners (and pics) from web sites. I\'m told that this is very much a seasonal resort --so off-season much of the year it empties out and I would virtually have the place to myself LOL. But what concerns me is that in-season a whole bunch of vacationers and regulars come from up North --and I have no idea who owns/rents the other unit in my condo/duplex and what the noise situation would be. The dock, hammond on the bay, pool, tiki bar, etc. are all shared facilities for the community. So in-season I\'m not sure how crowded it gets. There are a bunch of the cottages on either side of a road that leads to the pier on Lemon Bay. My cottage has a small Lanai but really no \"private\" place to sit outside in front or back of the cottage, however the swimming pool is right across the street -- and beautiful Lemon Bay is only 50 yards or so down the road from the cottage. Perhaps I might be better off renting a house elsewhere in Englewood? I\'ve seen houses for rent in Englewood less than $850/month. What do you think??????

Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 AM

16,225 posts, read 34,771,344 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I\'ll elaborate a bit further. I\'m told the houses across the street from the house (duplex) I am considering renting have water access and the rental is a 5 minute walk to the beach. From the pictures the landlord mailed me it looks like a nice residential street. So even though the area is a few minutes north of downtown Sarasota it appears to be in the nicer more expensive part farther West of 41 near the water access. I would have a private screened lanai in front and in the back my bedroom has french doors that open up to deck in the backyard that has a nice privacy fence --so it looks like a good place to sit outside and enjoy coffee in the morning. The other tenant in the building is a quiet eldery woman and there is a room that seperates the 2 units from where her tv is. So landlord thinks it should be quiet. The duplex cottage in Englewood is in a resort/vacation \"complex\" called \"Tiki on the Bay\" --however I found an owner willing to rent me on a 12/month lease for $850 which is really a fantastic deal because in season many of the rentals there go for $2000/month. If you google \"Tiki on the Bay Englewood\" you can see several other owners (and pics) from web sites. I\'m told that this is very much a seasonal resort --so off-season much of the year it empties out and I would virtually have the place to myself LOL. But what concerns me is that in-season a whole bunch of vacationers and regulars come from up North --and I have no idea who owns/rents the other unit in my condo/duplex and what the noise situation would be. The dock, hammond on the bay, pool, tiki bar, etc. are all shared facilities for the community. So in-season I\'m not sure how crowded it gets. There are a bunch of the cottages on either side of a road that leads to the pier on Lemon Bay. My cottage has a small Lanai but really no \"private\" place to sit outside in front or back of the cottage, however the swimming pool is right across the street -- and beautiful Lemon Bay is only 50 yards or so down the road from the cottage. Perhaps I might be better off renting a house elsewhere in Englewood? I\'ve seen houses for rent in Englewood less than $850/month. What do you think??????
After your more detailed description, I now think the Sarasota one might be the better choice for privacy. People exaggerate about the North Trail - there are only certain areas I think are really sketchy. We live off the north trail by the airport (near the bay) and it is lovely and quiet here, people in our neighbhorhood have lived here for decades with no problems. If it were ME making the choice, I would pick the private home - having French doors opening to the deck and sharing the home with just an elderly lady would make it quiet and ideal I would think. They told you it's a "5 minute walk to the beach?" They must mean the bay, because you have to go over the bridges to get to any beaches, and that is way more than a 5 min. walk. Still, it's near the water and sounds lovely.

Tiki on the Bay might be a real madhouse in season, but then off-season as you say it would be the place to yourself. You are going to have a real variety of people there and no telling how noisy it could get. Sounds kind of neat, tho'.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 AM

4,845 posts, read 13,234,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
just north of downtown SRQ, if close to 41, is not a nice area. More west would be along the water, and that would be more expensive. There isn't much privacy in SRQ period. Englewood's great for peace and quiet!
C'mon now...north of downtown, "West of Trail" are Million dollar plus houses... plus Indian Beach, which is gorgeous back in there, plus museum area which is again, gorgeous.....I know, as we were looking over there. East of Trail gets an iffy.... as you progress North on Coconut & East on oh, say 12th, 14th....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area