U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM

201 posts, read 560,659 times

Advertisements

Hurricanes aside, do the folks of Sarasota and environs have any near term concerns re: rising oceans?
Is it perceived as an issue that is so far off into the future it gets short shrift or is the subject dismissed out of hand? Have potential buyers voiced concern?
Thanks to all who respond especially Realtors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 AM

385 posts, read 1,076,189 times
My friends parents lost a home just south of Turtle Beach a few years back due to the tide. That's also a problem area, some say because Midnight Pass does not flow freely. I understand your question is about future tidal changes and the raise in the Earths ocean levels, but it's not a topic of conversation I really hear much discussion about here in Sarasota. It would be interesting to hear others feedback on this issue.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:58 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,554,858 times
I've never had anyone state a concern about sea level rising. People are more concerned about historic flooding issues. On the coast, there is concern about erosion. But again the pace of the coastal erosion is based on historical data not on forecasts of a rise in sea level.

In all the discussion on sea level rise I see a lot of talk about models, I have not been able to find any set of data showing a measurement of sea level graphed over time.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,588,788 times
As long as insurers will insure a home people won't worry. Yes, insurance has gotten much more expensive and that comes into play when deciding where to buy. Has it stopped someone who wants to live near/on the beach? No.

The biggest change (I think) is what you have to do now when building a new home. Must be elevated above floodplain, etc. The newest homes I see near water are basically being built one story up and leaving the ground floor to garage/parking, non-living space.

Nothing has happened to drastically change the shoreline so I don't expect people will all be moving 5 miles inland anytime soon.

Having said that, when we moved we did not choose to live directly on the bay/gulf, we chose a canal connected to the bay. It just seemed a little more protected.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,755,732 times
If your talking global warming making the oceans rise, I say its bunk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area