Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Well, actually the night I got bitten I was sitting at the outside bar connected to Coral Rock Cafe. Might have something to do with why I didn't notice them.
mrs.cool
Mrs. cool, those are absolutely Noseums, we are getting chewed upon daily(or should I say nightly) by them. One neighbor says to put a dryer sheet in your pocket, and another says to make sure to take vitamin B complex to keep them away and I tend to think he may be on to something because I have noticed when I regularly take my vitamin B- complex I hardly get touched at all, while the wife sits there swatting all the time if we are outdoors By the way can you make it to the Lock and Key FRIDAY 12/4 ? Would love to meet you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
No, we're back up nort'. We'll have to make it another time. I start a new job Monday so I don't know when we'll be back down again, but sometime soon I hope.
Does "Off" work on the no-see-ums? That new "powder soft" kind they make doesn't smell bad and it's not sticky or greasy either. It works pretty good on 'sconnie skeeters, I wonder if it'll work on no see ums.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:12 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
No, we're back up nort'. We'll have to make it another time. I start a new job Monday so I don't know when we'll be back down again, but sometime soon I hope.
Does "Off" work on the no-see-ums? That new "powder soft" kind they make doesn't smell bad and it's not sticky or greasy either. It works pretty good on 'sconnie skeeters, I wonder if it'll work on no see ums.
DH uses an aerosol called REPEL Sportsmen Max - 40% Deet. I'll have to ask him where he gets it. It seems to work great when he remembers to use it.
I've heard about the Bounce dryer sheet for mosquitoes but have yet to try it with the noseeums. Thanks for the reminder, and I've put Vit B on my shopping list too!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
DH uses an aerosol called REPEL Sportsmen Max - 40% Deet. I'll have to ask him where he gets it. It seems to work great when he remembers to use it.
I've heard about the Bounce dryer sheet for mosquitoes but have yet to try it with the noseeums. Thanks for the reminder, and I've put Vit B on my shopping list too!
I don't know what I do, but I have not been bitten by one bug while being down here for over a year! I think it must be plenty of Yeungling beer, Shiraz (Red Wine), or Resling (White Wine). Seriously, not one bite!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't know what I do, but I have not been bitten by one bug while being down here for over a year! I think it must be plenty of Yeungling beer, Shiraz (Red Wine), or Resling (White Wine). Seriously, not one bite!
I think it's because you're pickled!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Hate to shatter your illusions there, BH, but if alcohol content had anything to do with it, I would have NEVER gotten bit!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
I think it's because you're pickled!
It might be! Or it could be that I'm so big I scare 'em. You'd think as much as I'm outside - which is all the time! That I'd be a significant food source!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hate to shatter your illusions there, BH, but if alcohol content had anything to do with it, I would have NEVER gotten bit!!!
I have no illusions of that! I was thinking how damn good looking I am, and how you . . . . Well, I know it isnt the beer - anyway! So, it's gotta be something else. . . . I know it's not being good looking cuz I see a LOT of BEAUTIFUL women being bitten! Sometimes I wish I was a no see 'em! I'd have a feild day!! But then again, I hate getting slapped all the time!! I just hate it!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Hey BH!! That was MRS.Cool that got bit!! Be careful or you'll ruin your reputation with the ladies!!
BTW, care to have a little wager on Monday night's game??

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Hey BH!! That was MRS.Cool that got bit!! Be careful or you'll ruin your reputation with the ladies!!
BTW, care to have a little wager on Monday night's game??
Yeah!!!! I'll bet you dinner and drinks (beers and wine - no Dom) (from 6:30 till 8:30 (I don't think you want to buy me drinks all night!) Wives included. Winner chooses the place (down here)! No points - I got the Ravens for the win. All told, It could be a couple hundred dollar night. Do you want to set a limit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area