Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. A few quick questions. My wife is considering working at Manatee Community College. I have read all of the thoughts posted about Bradenton on here, and I was wondering if someone could comment about the area around the college. Is it a decent area? Is it the kind of place you’d want to commute to/from on the way to work? How would the commute be from a place like Lakewood Ranch? We would be moving from the west coast and would only get a brief trip to the area to decide, so I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,952 times
MCC is a decent area. If you are looking to live, I would look towards the south Parrish area for living. LWR is nice, but the fees are insane. You could go on the north side of 64 and look at Greyhawk or Rivers Reach or Waterlefe- beautiful neighborhoods, but not as expensive as LWR.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:56 AM

4,887 posts, read 14,058,985 times
The area around MCC is ok. Bayshore Gardens to the south is probably full of real estate steals.

It depends if you want to buy or rent, also you could live on Anna Maria as well. Lakewood Ranch and Parish would be a "commute".

Personally, I'd live on the island. The drive to MCC would be 15 -20 minutes depending on the time of day.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 21,710 times
My husband and I were in town just this weekend to look around. I didn't care for the Parrish area. It consists of huge subdivisions and not much else. It also seemed to be quite a distance from everything. The island is wonderful though!! But I'm sure it's very expensive.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl1031 View Post
My husband and I were in town just this weekend to look around. I didn't care for the Parrish area. It consists of huge subdivisions and not much else. It also seemed to be quite a distance from everything. The island is wonderful though!! But I'm sure it's very expensive.
Renting on the island is not expensive; you'll pay the same amount off island.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,952 times
It is all relative. Coming from the Atlanta metro area, a 15-20 minute commute is nothing. For us, it is worth driving a little further for more house for the money and good schools.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 AM

I'd suggest the island. Call a R.E. company. Tell them your budget, rent first to get a feel of the Bradenton area. Rent everywhere is very competitive due to the housing market. Houses are empty and people are losing money all over the county.

On the island, Island R.E. does a lot of rentals.

My family has a home in Village Green, PM me if you're interested. To MCC is a 10 min. drive.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,995,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I'd suggest the island. Call a R.E. company. Tell them your budget, rent first to get a feel of the Bradenton area. Rent everywhere is very competitive due to the housing market. Houses are empty and people are losing money all over the county.

On the island, Island R.E. does a lot of rentals.

My family has a home in Village Green, PM me if you're interested. To MCC is a 10 min. drive.
Rght now it seems that the housing market in SWFL has been bouncing along the bottom for a while. Recent reports show that the market is turning, investors are coming back, and housing prices are beginning to go up again. There is more and more competition for houses. I suggest that a lot of people are tired of seeing nothing happen in the stock and financial market and are looking for a tangible assest that has been a durable investment over time. The deflation of prices in the housing prices have turned housing into a potentially sound investment again.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 PM

I drove through Bradenton from SRQ yesterday morning around 7 a.m. as they were black topping on LBK & I had a dental apt on Anna Maria at 8 a.m.

Bradenton between the airport & Manatee Ave., has the looks of a war zone. So much out of business & for lease signs...

The papers slant the news. The housing market is not going anywhere in the Manatee County/Sarasota market. Don't let 'em kid you. If you're looking to buy, have the right criteria, yes, it's certainly a buyer's market but the bottom hasn't dropped yet.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 PM

17,430 posts, read 38,741,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I drove through Bradenton from SRQ yesterday morning around 7 a.m. as they were black topping on LBK & I had a dental apt on Anna Maria at 8 a.m.

Bradenton between the airport & Manatee Ave., has the looks of a war zone. So much out of business & for lease signs...

The papers slant the news. The housing market is not going anywhere in the Manatee County/Sarasota market. Don't let 'em kid you. If you're looking to buy, have the right criteria, yes, it's certainly a buyer's market but the bottom hasn't dropped yet.
Sorry, Lady, but I have to disagree with you here - in my neighborhood (Whitfield) activity has been very busy, and all the homes under $300,000 have sold. Also as far as Bradenton, despite it's problems I like that town, and there are some nice plans on the boards for downtown and that run-down area of North 41 - for instance there are going to be some artist loft/studios built on that large vacant parcel across from Chandler's - and the soup kitchen is moving from there. I know it won't transform overnight, but they are working on it and I give Kudos to them for that. Bradenton has a lot of potential, and it's my opinion that in a few years it will come up several notches as a great place to live.

BIGHOUSE - I completely agree with you - I am not a realtor, but I do keep up with what's happening, and sales are up, maybe just a little bit, but the market here is not dropping anymore, IMO. People are out here looking and buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area