U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 13,668 times

Advertisements

I currently live in (Midtown) Atlanta and considering moving to Sarasota or Juno Beach, Florida next month due to both job offers. In order to decide, I'm seeking information beforehand about the cost of living in both FL locations, nightlife, restaurants, arts and social events for mid-career single professionals. I'm very active and athletic regarding outside sporting activities as well as enjoying social events while mingling with other professionals. I prefer to rent a high-rise condo near markets, shops and restaurants in a safe area, so please feel free to recommend some places to rent.

Any comments welcome and thanks,
RDL - Corp. Tax Accountant

Last edited by RDL20; 04-23-2009 at 04:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,568,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDL20 View Post
I currently live in (Midtown) Atlanta and considering moving to Sarasota or Juno Beach, Florida next month due to both job offers. In order to decide, I'm seeking information beforehand about the cost of living in both FL locations, nightlife, restaurants, arts and social events for mid-career single professionals. I'm very active and athletic regarding outside sporting activities as well as enjoying social events while mingling with other professionals. I prefer to rent a high-rise condo near markets, shops and restaurants in a safe area, so please feel free to recommend some places to rent.

Any comments welcome and thanks,
RDL - Corp. Tax Accountant
I think you would be happiest in the downtown Sarasota area. That area is probably the most happening place in the county. There's a ton of eclectic restaurants and cool little bars up and down Main St. Everything is pretty walkable there. Gators in the downtown area might be a good place to start when you come for a visit. Also Siesta Key is a nice place to hang for the evening.

Sarasota does have a young professionals group (http://www.sarasotachamber.com/ypg/Young-Professionals-Group.cfm - broken link), which you might think of joining is you decide to move here.

If your athletic and like to jog there's a great running/biking trail that runs around Marina Jack's within walking distance to the downtown area. You can see it in the aerial view on their website.

I know there's a YMCA and a Gold's Gym in Sarasota if you were looking for a place to work out.

Since it's warm here nearly year round you could go kayaking, roller blading, run on Siesta Beach. There's lots of things you can do to get some exercise.

Well, Ladywithafan and gypsychic, where are ya? This post is right up your alley. Lady lives downtown and could probably give lots of advice.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the helpful information, SoFLGal!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 AM

16,410 posts, read 35,456,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I think you would be happiest in the downtown Sarasota area. That area is probably the most happening place in the county. There's a ton of eclectic restaurants and cool little bars up and down Main St. Everything is pretty walkable there. Gators in the downtown area might be a good place to start when you come for a visit. Also Siesta Key is a nice place to hang for the evening.

Sarasota does have a young professionals group (http://www.sarasotachamber.com/ypg/Young-Professionals-Group.cfm - broken link), which you might think of joining is you decide to move here.

If your athletic and like to jog there's a great running/biking trail that runs around Marina Jack's within walking distance to the downtown area. You can see it in the aerial view on their website.

I know there's a YMCA and a Gold's Gym in Sarasota if you were looking for a place to work out.

Since it's warm here nearly year round you could go kayaking, roller blading, run on Siesta Beach. There's lots of things you can do to get some exercise.

Well, Ladywithafan and gypsychic, where are ya? This post is right up your alley. Lady lives downtown and could probably give lots of advice.
I'm right here, SFG! But you covered it pretty well. We want for nothing in this gorgeous region, there is nowhere else in Florida I would rather live. There is so much beauty here, there are loads of options for biking, jogging, walking, boating, fishing etc. - we have the bays, Gulf and several rivers - we have it all!

Cost of living - despite what many say, I find it cheap for us. We have a low mortgage payment, and hubby has a good job - our taxes are reasonable, insurance a little high, but since OP will be renting that won't matter to him. Food, restaurants, shopping, all cheap as far as I'm concerned. It all depends what your needs/wants are. You can live as frugally or as wantonly as you desire here. We have many college students, retirees and middle class as well as multi-millionaires. As I said before, we have it all here! As far as renting a high-rise in downtown (which I agree the OP would be happiest there) there are plenty of condos, but I don't know what they rent for - SFG - I turn this over back to you for that one!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 AM

4,850 posts, read 13,367,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Not familiar with Juno but as far as SRQ goes, with job offer in hand, this is a hot spot!

The Young Professional's Group is extremely active in the community.
Lots of outdoor activities to do; Main Street has things going on every weekend as far as downtown is concerned.

I'm moving over to the Hillview area for a different spin, by Sarasota Memorial. Area is corned by Morton's Market & a number of restaurant/clubs such as Big Sugar, 5 O'clock club, Legends, Libby's, etc...lots of action on the weekends there...

I've lived in Burns Court for the past two years & loved it. A great mix of old little houses & high rises that give you the feel of Ft. Lauderdale minus the dirt/city sprawl.

Sarasota is big on arts, again, something going on all the time but the downtown area is small enough to feel like a "neighborhood" and not a city. We've got the SRQ Film Fest that goes on every spring as well as now, the Fringe Festival which I am involved with as well. This weekend in Burns, we've got the chalk festival going on which is a family orientated and gets the children involved in using chalk right along with the artists.

In my opinion, Sarasota has it totally going on. I've lived in East Lansing, New York City, Detroit, Morgantown, WV, Holmes Beach, Bradenton and finally SRQ....It's the perfect mix here. Take the job & c'mon down!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,568,169 times
Thanks gals, I knew you'd come to the rescue

Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 PM

Thanks ladies for the great information!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 AM

12 posts, read 70,988 times
Here are two great webpages for Jupiter and Juno Beach homes.

Boca Executive Realty - Jupiter Real Estate

Juno Beach Homes for Sale - Juno Beach Florida Real Estate

Old 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM

62 posts, read 183,095 times
Hey Ladywithafan,
When were you in East Lansing? We lived in there too from '98 to '03. Hubby was in vet school at MSU. We lived in the Bailey Neighborhood near the university and really enjoyed the walkability especially for all of the festivals. We fell in love with Sarasota for a lot of the same reasons PLUS the beaches and weather here can't be beat.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 AM

175 posts, read 512,108 times
Hey Sunshine9 and Ladywithafan, small world! My wife and I also lived in East Lansing, 93-06, and in Bailey! It was great to be able to walk into town and to campus. I really loved that neighborhood.

Sarasota is much more of a city of course-- way more happening. And as a big city dweller now for most of the year I find Sarasota a nice size small city with a ton of things going on. But you shouldn't be under the illusion that it'll be the same as Atlanta. Sarasota has way more going on than most cities of its size, but it is still a small city after all. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area