Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

So I think my daughter will close on that house they bought in Nokomis...

any suggestions for a really neat/memorable housewarming gift--
money I know they would appreciate but it just seems really impersonal...

home is older but in good shape--has a pool with cage cover--and large lanaii--I think they are buying or getting included some of the seller's items like her BBQ grill which again is older but still in good shape and her washer/dryer are come-with...

the FHA appraisal came back with higher value than the purchase price, so they were pretty happy...close around May 1

it is in Sorrento West I think or maybe East...not sure...not listed on MLS once the contract was accepted...

so it is not south of Venice where they were looking originally and does not have access to water like Englewood Isles or South Venice...those areas are just too competitive for their price point...but it is closer to her school and someone who teaches there has lived in subdivision for almost 20 yrs and says that it is really nice area...so they are pretty content I think...

they are going to try to just do seasonal renting of their condo right now vs putting it up for sale again since they don't think the market has improved enough to cover their price--hopefully that will go ok for them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
Congratulations on their finding a place in Nokomis.
As far as water access Nokomis beach and the boat launch just off Albee road are none too shabby for water access.

It's hard to recommend a house warming present for someone I don't know, but it seems that many people remember a tree that they planted when they moved into a new place. Maybe a landscape spruce up with a special tree or shrub.
maybe a fountain for the lanai, the sound of water can be very relaxing.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
a really good idea FL bob-- maybe some night blooming Jasmine which smells beautifully or roses.. If that's not up your alley how about this idea depending on your price range.. we bought my sister a little mini fridge for the patio.. they love it, they use it primarily for soda's and alcohol on weekends.. they do some entertaining and spend nights on their patio so it works well for them not having to go into the house : ) Some nice cookbooks for grilling--or maybe some Florida themed wine glasses..

Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM

talked to my husband and he said to just wait and go shopping with them when we go this summer...
they will probably have an idea of what they will be doing as far as renovating/painting--maybe get them some nice patio furniture
I was thinking a nice lawnmower or maybe lawn service for 6 months--the landscaping is in pretty sad shape because the lady who lives there has not been really doing any of it...

Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
when we moved in our new next door neighbor gave us the present of a book "History of Englewood" which was really great. Told us a lot about our new town's history and it's people and places.

If you can't find a Nokomis book I like the tree idea, something they can look at every day and if it's an orange tree will be the gift that keeps giving.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:12 AM

13 posts, read 53,787 times
Where is their condo that they are going to rent out?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:51 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrohonay View Post
Where is their condo that they are going to rent out?
I'm not sure if loves2read is on right now but their condo is on the island of Venice-nice area. Can't remember the complex name

Old 04-26-2009, 04:04 PM

it is on the Island--great location just across Esplanade from the beach basically...but it is a 1/1 so is too small for mom, dad, and child....sorry...
nice complex, well-maintained, safe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area