Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,334 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am a British Occupational Therapist planning on moving to the Sarasota/Bradenton area in about six months.We visited in Feb and are going back in four weeks to continue to look @ areas to live. Please could anyone give us some advice on best places to live, dont have to worry about schools or nursery`s. Also does anyone know of any good medical agencies I could hook up with.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,822,172 times
Hi Sneezey,

What type of community are you looking for? From your post it seems like you have kids? Are you looking for preschools, elementary, middle or high? Pine View School in southern Sarasota county is an excellent school if your child can pass the testing. It has grades 2nd-12th grades.

Why are you moving to Florida? What kind of things interests you? Boating, golfing, beaches, etc? Do you want a house or condo? What are your top three requirements in a house/condo? Do you have any pets? Some subdivisions have restrictions on how many, size or breed. What is your price range? What size home are you looking for? How many beds/bathrooms? What age? Do you want a pool? How close to the beach do you want to live?

If you give us some more answers we can give you more direction on some different communities that might appeal to you.

I'll let someone who's in the medical field chime in on that part

Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
what about your visa so that you can work in US--do you have that in hand?
or are you counting on a job offer to help you secure a visa?
It costs a company money when someone is hired that works under a visa--don't know if the field is that strapped for workers that something like a temp agency would hire you...

Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,822,172 times
Good points, loves2read. I think mr&mrssunshine might be able to give you some pointers on your visa and getting work over here. If I remember right MrsSunshine is in the medical field. Maybe she has some pointers

Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,020,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezey View Post
Hi all
I am a British Occupational Therapist planning on moving to the Sarasota/Bradenton area in about six months.We visited in Feb and are going back in four weeks to continue to look @ areas to live. Please could anyone give us some advice on best places to live, dont have to worry about schools or nursery`s. Also does anyone know of any good medical agencies I could hook up with.

Many thanks
Maybe some people can chime in, but I think that there are a number of British people that like the Rotunda area. I know there is a pretty good restaurant and pub there called the Pig and Whistle. At least that is what I've heard. It is really close to Boca Grande, and some really nice beaches!

What other things interest you?
Looks like SoFLGal has a pretty good list started of key items that she'd need to really help you find just the right place. She is a great real estate agent, and very helpful.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Default relocating to bradenton

Many thanks to all who replied. We have children who are adults and who will be remaining in the UK. I will be travelling on a 5 year work visa via the National Board of Occupational Therapy, as I sat the American OT exam two years ago, so currently hold an American OT Qualification and pin number. just need to apply for Florida state license. We also have an American bank account and credit card. I have registered with OT agency`s on line and they are always advertising lots of job vacanies. We are planning on renting first before we decide to buy, want to make sure we settle. However we feel the rental prices are very high. We ideally would need a three bed home with community pool if no pool with home. A boat dock would be nice. We dont feel the need to be soley situated around or near Brits, as its the Brits were trying to move away from. We have been told that a move to the USA can be difficult as American can be very fickle with people. We have been travelling around the USA since 1992 and have only encounted polite and friendly people. We are people who like the outdoor life, weather permitting, I visit the gym three/four times aweek, I like beer and wine. We want a break from the rat race in the UK, the cold weather and ever increasing rude and miserable people. However we need to work to finance our stay. When we stayed recently we stayed at Sabal Harbour and this time we will be staying at Regal Oaks. Bradenton. One of the areas we were considering Ellenton/ Parrish but reading comments on this forum as made me have second thoughts any additional feedback will be gratefully appreciated.
Best Wishes

Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Many thanks to all who replied. We have children who are adults and who will be remaining in the UK. I will be travelling on a 5 year work visa via the National Board of Occupational Therapy, as I sat the American OT exam two years ago, so currently hold an American OT Qualification and pin number. just need to apply for Florida state license. We also have an American bank account and credit card. I have registered with OT agency`s on line and they are always advertising lots of job vacanies. We are planning on renting first before we decide to buy, want to make sure we settle. However we feel the rental prices are very high. We ideally would need a three bed home with community pool if no pool with home. A boat dock would be nice. We dont feel the need to be soley situated around or near Brits, as its the Brits were trying to move away from. We have been told that a move to the USA can be difficult as American can be very fickle with people. We have been travelling around the USA since 1992 and have only encounted polite and friendly people. We are people who like the outdoor life, weather permitting, I visit the gym three/four times aweek, I like beer and wine. We want a break from the rat race in the UK, the cold weather and ever increasing rude and miserable people. However we need to work to finance our stay. When we stayed recently we stayed at Sabal Harbour and this time we will be staying at Regal Oaks. Bradenton. One of the areas we were considering Ellenton/ Parrish but reading comments on this forum as made me have second thoughts any additional feedback will be gratefully appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area