U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 26,151 times

Advertisements

I want to retire in Southwest Florida. I have lived all over the United States (including Fort Myers, Florida when I was in high school) and I have decided that Southwest Florida is my most economical and best climate choice. I don't want the seasons. I live in California right now but it is waaaaaaay too expensive for me to stay here when I retire. Although I will get a healthy pension. I'm worried about the crime in Fort Myers. How's Cape Coral? I don't golf and I do want to do things like go boating, walking on the beach, joining a YMCA for exercise, working with some charties with dogs, etc. Anyone have any ideas? I am planning to take a vacation there next spring and want to have some places picked out so I can buy while the market is good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,676,310 times
Take a look at Venice Island. There are plenty of public beach access points, the neighborhood is walk and bike friendly. It's dog friendly ( a neighbor counted 18 different dog walkers in one afternoon while sitting on her front porch) there is beach access for people with dogs. The community center is an active place with shows scheduled many weekends. A good public library, and art center. Free concerts and fairs. Holiday parades, a nice down town shopping area. Plenty of parks, mature trees. And it has one of the lowest crime rates in Florida.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,866,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerlillyCA View Post
I want to retire in Southwest Florida. I have lived all over the United States (including Fort Myers, Florida when I was in high school) and I have decided that Southwest Florida is my most economical and best climate choice. I don't want the seasons. I live in California right now but it is waaaaaaay too expensive for me to stay here when I retire. Although I will get a healthy pension. I'm worried about the crime in Fort Myers. How's Cape Coral? I don't golf and I do want to do things like go boating, walking on the beach, joining a YMCA for exercise, working with some charties with dogs, etc. Anyone have any ideas? I am planning to take a vacation there next spring and want to have some places picked out so I can buy while the market is good.
My suggestions are either Punta Gorda Isles or Venice. PGI has a dog park within walking distance, there's something going on downtown just about every weekend-The Peace River Art Show, The Air Show, The Block Party, etc. They have folk and bluegrass music in the park on certain evenings.

Then the Island of Venice is similar but is closer to the beach. There is a great dog beach and another large dog park just off the island. It has a quaint downtown as does Punta Gorda.

Both areas are similar in some ways and very different in other way. I would say you should visit both areas on your trip down

Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM

35,869 posts, read 55,449,892 times
I was going to suggest Venice Island as well--it has great walkable downtown with a nice little theater, some great restaurants, very safe, beach on the island and several others in close proximity, drive to Sarasota is not that bad

Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 PM

8,189 posts, read 30,260,377 times
Add me to the list who think that Venice might be a good choice for you. If you want to volunteer with dogs, the Suncoast Humane Society in Englewood is an incredible no-kill shelter and would be happy for some extra help.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks everybody. Venice Island will be on my list as one of the towns to look at.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM

I went to the web to look at pictures of Venice and it looks beautiful. Can you tell me if there are some areas to stay away from? I will be looking to buy a house on a modest budget but want to live in a good area. Thanks also to Racelady88 - I will check out that Humane Society when I go down there too. I am wondering what the median age is. I will be in my 60's and even though I think I would fit in anywhere (HA HA) I think being around people around my own age would be better.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,866,107 times
Quote:
I went to the web to look at pictures of Venice and it looks beautiful. Can you tell me if there are some areas to stay away from? I will be looking to buy a house on a modest budget but want to live in a good area. Thanks also to Racelady88 - I will check out that Humane Society when I go down there too. I am wondering what the median age is. I will be in my 60's and even though I think I would fit in anywhere (HA HA) I think being around people around my own age would be better.
The median age for Venice is 68. The least expensive homes on the Island of Venice are in County Club Estates over on Guild St. There are a couple 2/1's and 2/2's built in the 1950's priced at $120K-$150K. If you wanted anything much newer than that you're looking at over $200K on Island. Most of the homes under $250K on the Island of Venice are in Country Club Estates.

If you're on a modest budget I'd look more in the south Venice area. You will get more for your money. Prices range from $50K up and it's still close to the beach. There are around 100 homes to choose from.

South Venice has their own private beach and a ferry that takes you over to it. Shamrock Park is just a bit north or South Venice. They have a community pool as well.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,676,310 times
Quote:
Venice is a beautiful city. Much of the charm comes from the portion known as the Island of Venice. As SoFLGal pointed out the single-family homes tend to be older and with the exception of a few homes the starting price on Island will be in the mid-$200k. Just off Island in a community known as Venice Gardens. This is a well maintained neighborhood. Convenient to beaches via the circus bridge and Service beach(closest beach access point) by the gulf front restaurant known as Sharkys. Many of the homes in Venice Gardens are on fresh water lakes. Here you can find a 3/2/2 pool home on fresh water in the midto upper $100k.

When you consider the median age of 68 in the city of Venice, you need to consider that there are a large number of assisted living facilities in Venice so the median age is skewed higher and doesn't truely represent the mix in the neighborhoods.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:02 PM

15 posts, read 52,161 times
Default concrete block?

As a real estate agent have you found that concrete block homes have a better chance of hurricane protection? I was thinking of buying in Venice and buying a concrete block home and not getting windstorm insurance. I would want to be near the dog beach. I saw a few houses on the internet but they were in flood zone areas so that doesn't seem like a good choice. Thanks for any input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area