Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:43 PM

325 posts, read 1,024,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
My only word of advice is to get at least three quotes. I did this when I got my pool cage installed, you'll find out really quick who is trying to rip you off. Also don' make any final payments until the building inspector has come thru. He found a couple of things on mine.
Yes, this is very good idea. I always leave Ten percent for the finals and punchout items. This is a added incentive to kill the permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Just drove past a sign today that said-complete pools, cage, equipment, deck, etc-$19,900, swim in 33 days.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 PM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
We will definitely go out for a boat ride, and if you're on the water (gulf access) i'll find a way to your house by boat too.

There are a lot of good restaurants around! I like a place called Portofino's, it is in Port Charlotte, on the water just over the bridge from PGI. They have a nice deck bar, and great Italian food too!
Excellent recommendation Big House. My wife and I ate at Portofino's on Valentines day this year and it was GREAT! I had a NY Strip and she had a Grouper sandwich. With a glass of wine each, I think around $45.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
We will definitely go out for a boat ride, and if you're on the water (gulf access) i'll find a way to your house by boat too.

There are a lot of good restaurants around! I like a place called Portofino's, it is in Port Charlotte, on the water just over the bridge from PGI. They have a nice deck bar, and great Italian food too!
Thanks Big House. I'll definitely give Portofino's a try. And if we do get a home with gulf access we'd love that boat ride.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
[quote=SoFLGal;8666715]Just drove past a sign today that said-complete pools, cage, equipment, deck, etc-$19,900, swim in 33 days.[/quote

Wow that's extremely reasonable. Thanks for the info. All you guys are just so helpful with all the advice. Thanks to you all.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
I agree with the thought that the home-owner should hold back final payment until the county inspections are completed successfully. More important though, is too have signed partial lien release accompanied by copies of paid receipts to subs and suppliers before paying any draws, and a final release of lien on final payment.
It is wise to make sure that the contractor understands these requirements prior to signing a contract.
It is really disconcerting to have a lien placed on your home because the supplier's bill wasn't paid by the contractor.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM

325 posts, read 1,024,263 times
[quote=FLBob;8675603]I agree with the thought that the home-owner should hold back final payment until the county inspections are completed successfully. More important though, is too have signed partial lien release accompanied by copies of paid receipts to subs and suppliers before paying any draws, and a final release of lien on final payment.
It is wise to make sure that the contractor understands these requirements prior to signing a contract.
It is really disconcerting to have a lien placed on your home because the supplier's bill wasn't paid by the contractor.[/quote

As a Contractor I give Clients release of liens. Back during Charley we did about 300 cages. The suppliers where a handshake on materials. They did not place materialman liens. Subs also did not. But, in this day and age as the law states after Sixty days " After the first major portion of work has been done." subs, materialman, subs of a sub cannot place liens. A notice to Owner has to be sent via registered mail to the Owner. After this is sent then a lien may be placed. I remodel homes and all my customers receive release of liens when the final installment is paid along with the Final of the permit. Handing customers receipts and showing I paid suppliers and subs, kind of goes against the contract. Just my Two cents

Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
Here's a link to the MyFlorida.com web site that describes the law.
Florida mechanic lien law explained make your own determination....

I only advised as per the guidelines set by the State of Florida.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Thanks Big House. I'll definitely give Portofino's a try. And if we do get a home with gulf access we'd love that boat ride.
You'll like it! If you buy a house that's not on the gulf, you'll have to wait till I take my boat in to get it serviced if you want to see your house. Of course, when you ride in my boat, you'll be on a trailer! LOL Using your imagination - nothing is impossible!

Find a way, not an excuse!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
[quote=kbuild;8684070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I agree with the thought that the home-owner should hold back final payment until the county inspections are completed successfully. More important though, is too have signed partial lien release accompanied by copies of paid receipts to subs and suppliers before paying any draws, and a final release of lien on final payment.
It is really disconcerting to have a lien placed on your home because the supplier's bill wasn't paid by the contractor.[/quote

As a Contractor I give Clients release of liens. Back during Charley we did about 300 cages. The suppliers where a handshake on materials. They did not place materialman liens. Subs also did not. But, in this day and age as the law states after Sixty days " After the first major portion of work has been done." subs, materialman, subs of a sub cannot place liens. A notice to Owner has to be sent via registered mail to the Owner. After this is sent then a lien may be placed. I remodel homes and all my customers receive release of liens when the final installment is paid along with the Final of the permit. Handing customers receipts and showing I paid suppliers and subs, kind of goes against the contract. Just my Two cents
In larger projects, we provide a performance and payment bond that guarantees that all the subcontractors and suppliers are paid. The Owner can have the liens discharged by the bond if the lower tier contractors are not paid. Most home builders do not furnish p&p bonds.

The Owner should know who all the major subcontractors and suppliers are on the project and require partial releases be furnished for each draw / payment paid to the Contractor in the previous draw. Contractors are not banks, and should not be expected to fund the project out of pocket, but in regular draws. That said, sub-tier contractors should have been paid from the last draw before another payment is made, and it should not be a problem furnishing that proof. Subs and suppliers will be happy to be sign these these partial releases. Final releases of liens should be furnished with the concurrent release of the final payment. Final payment should not be made until the property recieves all of the necessary occupancy permits, the punchlist has been completed, and the releases of liens are provided. Generally the amount retained is equal to about 200 percent of the estimated cost of the work, that way the Contractor has the incentive to complete the punchlist work, and the owner is protected sufficiently to get the work completed if necessary. Usually 5-10% of the total contract cost is retained from payment to the Contractor until the work has reached the final punchlist stage. 5% is usually appropriate if the work has been progressing as promised, and there are no major disputes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area