Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I have a question. Is it humid and very warm inside a screened enclosure or can you get a breeze? Also, I assume that you don't need to heat a pool in Florida, right? So you save on electricity?
Humid air doesn't get trapped by the screening. I've never noticed a temperature difference.

While many people have pools without cages, most "pool homes" have large sliding glass doors. This opens up the whole house to the pool area. Having a cage keeps the bugs out of the house, not just out of the pool area.

Someone living in an area with a no-see-um problem might want the finer screening. Of course they would also need the finer screening on the rest of the windows too. I don't know how often people do this, hence the question to Kbuild. Kevin is a licensed remodeling contractor who installs cages.

Many people heat their pools in the cooler winter months to enjoy year round use. Solar heat panels on roofs are very common. Plenty of sunny days here.

Edit: I was typing as 419 was posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 AM

419, Are you saying that no-see-ums stay close to the ground?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times
Quote:
While many people have pools without cages, most "pool homes" have large sliding glass doors. This opens up the whole house to the pool area. Having a cage keeps the bugs out of the house, not just out of the pool area.
This is the big thing. Having the ability to incorporate the pool area with the interior is a huge selling point (it was for us at least). In a sense, it adds square footage to your home, and really changes the entire feel of the home.

Meanwhile, seems most pools are heated.

As long as we're talking pools, I almost bought a house with a salt water pool. This sounded very strange to me at first (damn yankee that I am), but I am told it is a growing trend. Rumor has it they are a bit cheaper, all things considered, and when you swim in them, you'd never know it's salt water.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
419, Are you saying that no-see-ums stay close to the ground?

tommy, seems like they're always around the ankles...
keep in mind that when installing a new cage you need to make sure that it is engineered with wind loads that are for 20/20 screen...
btw SuperScreen is 17/14 mesh (warp and weft?) ...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 AM

It does seem like the little guys like to start at the bottom and work their way up.

I had a terrible experience once down in the keys, up off the ground, in a stilt house. The no-see-ums had no problem coming through window screens one story up. Any exposed skin was fair game while we were trying to sleep.

Didn't have electricity on the island, so AC wasn't an option. I don't know how early settlers coped with all the bugs down here.

Now that I'm thinking about it, bug spray and anti-itch cream might be good items to add to a hurricane survival kit for anybody living in an area with insect problems.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM

70 posts, read 245,894 times
Red face Brrrrrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
if you don't mind swimming in 60-70 degree water then no.........
Before moving to Florida, just coming down to visit my Grand-dad in the summers, I also thought how great it would be to swim all year! After moving here I learned very fast this isnt true!
I have solar panels on the roof, but even with that, the end of October I am done swimming..the water is just to cold for me!
I am from the Buffalo area, so I would think the cold water wouldnt bother me....

Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM

301 posts, read 1,154,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikimiller View Post

Before moving to Florida, just coming down to visit my Grand-dad in the summers, I also thought how great it would be to swim all year! After moving here I learned very fast this isnt true!
I have solar panels on the roof, but even with that, the end of October I am done swimming..the water is just to cold for me!
I am from the Buffalo area, so I would think the cold water wouldnt bother me....
Once you get used to 80-85 degree water in the summer, 70 feels mightly chilly!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
Once you get used to 80-85 degree water in the summer, 70 feels mightly chilly!

EXACTLY my point...

84 is ideal...

Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post

Now that I'm thinking about it, bug spray and anti-itch cream might be good items to add to a hurricane survival kit for anybody living in an area with insect problems.

great call on this one...bug spray......just put it into my survival kit...

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks 419, You seem to know a lot about screening. I wonder if you could answer this for other readers;

If someone was putting in a new cage in an area known to have no-see-um problems and wasn't concerned about cost, what would you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area