U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 AM
 
7 posts, read 12,456 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all of the info you have posted. Our family is relocating to Sarasota from Fort Lauderdale in the next couple of months. I can't seem to find posts on areas to stay away from when we start looking this next weekend. A little about us.....we want to live near the beach, and have a 2 1/2 year old girl. I am an RN and my husband works from home. We will rent for the first year and want to live in a house (have a big dog). We would like to spend around $1500 a month. There are a lot of homes for rent in Palmer Ranch and Gulf Gate which seem close to the beach, but I haven't seen any mention of Gulf gate, so any information on areas would be great! Also, what about N. Sarasota? We are so excited!!!!!!! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Venice Florida
1,380 posts, read 5,669,088 times
Reputation: 877
Gulf Gate is an older community. I have friends that have lived there for years and love it. There is a 2-3 square block area of shops, restaurants, and bars on the north west corner that give the area a bit of charm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM
 
16,757 posts, read 36,289,799 times
Reputation: 22195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calster View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all of the info you have posted. Our family is relocating to Sarasota from Fort Lauderdale in the next couple of months. I can't seem to find posts on areas to stay away from when we start looking this next weekend. A little about us.....we want to live near the beach, and have a 2 1/2 year old girl. I am an RN and my husband works from home. We will rent for the first year and want to live in a house (have a big dog). We would like to spend around $1500 a month. There are a lot of homes for rent in Palmer Ranch and Gulf Gate which seem close to the beach, but I haven't seen any mention of Gulf gate, so any information on areas would be great! Also, what about N. Sarasota? We are so excited!!!!!!! Thank you!
In North Sarasota, stay west of the trail - it is beautiful, beautiful, and near the bay, but east of the trail is Sarasota's ghetto (on the northside) We live just north of the museum area in Whitfield near the airport (but near the bay) and love it here.

Palmer Ranch is a good bet for a rental, I don't think it's too far from Siesta Beach. Gulf Gate overall is pretty good, but IMO a mixed bag - I will let our wonderful realtors here fill you in a bit more on that. I think there are too many rentals there for it to be stable - same with parts of South Gate.

Good luck - you are going to LOVE it here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,511 posts, read 21,838,380 times
Reputation: 2858
I think you'd be happy in either neighborhood. Just depends on what you are looking for. Like FLBob said, Gulf Gate is an older community, most of the homes are around 1400 sq ft and concrete block. The age of the homes depends on which area of Gulf Gate you are looking in, most range from the 1960's to the early 80's. Gulf Gate Library is really close and many of the homes are within walking distance of the library. Gulf Gate also has sidewalks, which is nice when you have little ones. You should be able to pick up a home to rent for around $1100-$1200 per month depending on size, age, condition, etc.

Palmer Ranch is a much newer community with community pools, sidewalks, lush landscaping, etc. There are many different communities in the Palmer Ranch area. This area is much newer then the Gulf Gate area. The rent in this area would probably be higher. I know some of the town homes in VillageWalk are renting in the range of $1400-$1600 per month.

Both communities are close to the beach and pretty close to Sarasota Square Mall, restaurants, etc.

So, I guess it comes down to what you are willing to spend for rent and what type of community you are looking for.

Good luck with your search
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 11:48 AM
 
175 posts, read 517,319 times
Reputation: 69
Hi All, I've been looking for a house to buy for a while and have been thinking about Gulf Gate (Woods) or Gulf Gate East. Palmer Ranch also seems nice but I like the idea of being just a little closer to the water. I didn't realize that there are a lot of rentals in Gulf Gate and that it might not be stable. Is that really true? When I've looked in there it always seems like a very stable well-maintained neighborhood. Also, what do you all think of Gulf Gate East. I'm going to be looking again this week so really hope to hear your opinions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Western NY
2 posts, read 4,508 times
Reputation: 10
Hi, I was looking at your posts, and you seem very knowledgeable about the area. My family and I visited the Venice area, and just fell in love with Florida. We want to relocate within the next 6 months. We have three kids, one of whom is in college, and the other two are ages 13 and 10, so we would want an area with a good school district. We own a home in Western NY, that we would want to sell in order to move. My husband is currently in the constuction field as an irornworker, and I have an extensive background in insurance/banking. How would you rate the ability to find employment in the area ? Sorry for the abunance of questions, I would appreciate any info you can provide......THANKS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
 
413 posts, read 1,187,298 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calster View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all of the info you have posted. Our family is relocating to Sarasota from Fort Lauderdale in the next couple of months. I can't seem to find posts on areas to stay away from when we start looking this next weekend. A little about us.....we want to live near the beach, and have a 2 1/2 year old girl. I am an RN and my husband works from home. We will rent for the first year and want to live in a house (have a big dog). We would like to spend around $1500 a month. There are a lot of homes for rent in Palmer Ranch and Gulf Gate which seem close to the beach, but I haven't seen any mention of Gulf gate, so any information on areas would be great! Also, what about N. Sarasota? We are so excited!!!!!!! Thank you!

We have a house in Village Walk which is a subdivision in Palmer Ranch. The area is very safe and is convenient to Target, Publix, etc. It is about a 15-20 minute drive to Siesta Key with no traffic. On a weekend in high season the traffic can get sticky and parking can be tough. We are early risers so it is not much of a factor for us. You might want to check out www.villagewalkofsarasota.org
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,511 posts, read 21,838,380 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmom3 View Post
Hi, I was looking at your posts, and you seem very knowledgeable about the area. My family and I visited the Venice area, and just fell in love with Florida. We want to relocate within the next 6 months. We have three kids, one of whom is in college, and the other two are ages 13 and 10, so we would want an area with a good school district. We own a home in Western NY, that we would want to sell in order to move. My husband is currently in the constuction field as an irornworker, and I have an extensive background in insurance/banking. How would you rate the ability to find employment in the area ? Sorry for the abunance of questions, I would appreciate any info you can provide......THANKS
If you relocated to Venice then the schools would be Venice Elementary, Venice Middle and Venice High. I went to Venice Elementary as a kid and my oldest child went there as well. They have an excellent gifted program.

You could also check into Pineview School, which is rated as one of the best schools in the Nation. This school requires testing for entrance.

Here's a website where you can see the scores that the state gave each school. Just click on Sarasota county and you can view them. School Accountability Report... Another good website for opinions on schools is greatschools.com

Now on to your question about employment, the unemployment rate is at 10% +/-. I would not move to the area without securing a job. It is very hard to find a job in the construction field due to the lack of building right now. We are seeing a huge surge in the number of homes selling in the last two months. Once the number of homes on the market dwindles you will see the construction market come back.

I'm not really sure how many jobs there might be in the insurance/banking field. You might want to take a look online at the local newspapers: The Venice Gondolier and The Sarasota Herald Tribune. Craigslist is always an option as well-I hired both of my assistants from Craigslist.

Good luck with your search
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,511 posts, read 21,838,380 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
Hi All, I've been looking for a house to buy for a while and have been thinking about Gulf Gate (Woods) or Gulf Gate East. Palmer Ranch also seems nice but I like the idea of being just a little closer to the water. I didn't realize that there are a lot of rentals in Gulf Gate and that it might not be stable. Is that really true? When I've looked in there it always seems like a very stable well-maintained neighborhood. Also, what do you all think of Gulf Gate East. I'm going to be looking again this week so really hope to hear your opinions!
Since I don't handle rentals I usually look at how many foreclosures there are in a certain neighborhood to determine the stability.

Here's what I see, out of the 63 homes on the market for sale in Gulf Gate there are two foreclosures. Out of the 18 homes that have sold in the last six months 3 of them were foreclosures. Nothing too crazy. As far as I know Gulf Gate does not have any rental restrictions like Palmer Ranch and many other communities. So, you would probably have more rentals in a neighborhood like Gulf Gate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Greenville, sc
262 posts, read 784,947 times
Reputation: 66
I know many of the banks have a hiring freeze right now. They will not even think about hiring at the moment.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmom3 View Post
Hi, I was looking at your posts, and you seem very knowledgeable about the area. My family and I visited the Venice area, and just fell in love with Florida. We want to relocate within the next 6 months. We have three kids, one of whom is in college, and the other two are ages 13 and 10, so we would want an area with a good school district. We own a home in Western NY, that we would want to sell in order to move. My husband is currently in the constuction field as an irornworker, and I have an extensive background in insurance/banking. How would you rate the ability to find employment in the area ? Sorry for the abunance of questions, I would appreciate any info you can provide......THANKS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top