Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times

Advertisements

Think long and hard!

Being jobless for 6 months or more 'grinds on you' - USATODAY.com

//www.city-data.com/forum/11102153-post12.html

Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM

66 posts, read 143,725 times
i don't have to worry about jobs. i'm a motersickle bum.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I think when people post/read the Sarasota board they are always warned of the high employment rate. So, if they are reading the various threads they would be aware of this.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:16 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I think when people post/read the Sarasota board they are always warned of the high employment rate. So, if they are reading the various threads they would be aware of this.
I used to think the same thing about Chinese Drywall. Yet we still have people posting here that say they were not aware of the issue until after they bought their home. Reading such posts makes me think people aren't being warned enough.

I read all your posts, SoFLGal, so I know that you have been very consistent with your warnings about employment, but some of these people considering relocating really need to stop and think about what they are doing. All the positive vibes in the world aren't going to help them when the new job doesn't work out the way they thought it would.

You and the other agents here are an excellent resource for people looking to learn about the area, but at the end of the day, you guys are here to sell houses. Are there people out there that don't realize that your opinions might be a little biased? Yes, I think there are.

Last edited by tommy-105; 10-09-2009 at 04:12 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 AM

455 posts, read 979,148 times
Another very important factor to consider before moving to Florida:

"Job applicants and new employees are often perplexed to read -- in a job application, employment contract, or employee handbook -- that they will be employed "at will." They are even more troubled when they find out exactly what this language means: An at-will employee can be fired at any time, for any reason (except for a few illegal reasons, spelled out below). If the employer decides to let you go, that's the end of your job -- and you have very limited legal rights to fight your termination.

If you are employed at will, your employer does not need good cause to fire you. In every state but Montana (which protects employees who have completed an initial "probationary period" from being fired without cause), employers are free to adopt at-will employment policies, and many of them have. In fact, unless your employer gives some clear indication that it will only fire employees for good cause, the law presumes that you are employed at will."

Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I used to think the same thing about Chinese Drywall. Yet we still have people posting here that say they were not aware of the issue until after they bought their home. Reading such posts makes me think people aren't being warned enough.

I read all your posts, SoFLGal, so I know that you have been very consistent with your warnings about employment, but some of these people considering relocating really need to stop and think about what they are doing. All the positive vibes in the world aren't going to help them when the new job doesn't work out the way they thought it would.

You and the other agents here are an excellent resource for people looking to learn about the area, but at the end of the day, you guys are here to sell houses. Are there people out there that don't realize that your opinions might be a little biased? Yes, I think there are.
Fair enough, yes I would see how you would come to the conclusion that my opinions might be biased. Here's how I see it. I don't want someone to move to the area because I made a claim that the employment conditions were all rosy. I'd rather tell people that they're not too great and have them find a job then boost things up to be something they're not and have them stuck here with no job.

I think it also depends on what line of work you're in as well. It seems as though people in the medical field have had a greater success in finding jobs than other fields. Or maybe they just got lucky.

And just to be clear I always recommend that people secure a job before moving to the area.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
I dont think anyone could ever accuse SFG of being biased , her reports are always very well balanced and accurate. not everyone has to make a sale 'at all costs'

what some people fail to take into account is that people want to move here for the quality of life.
we intend relocating here next year.
our income will probably fall from a very nice six figures to a whole lot less. but our home will be paid for and we will have a few bucks in the bank. will we have to budget and cut back? maybe. but money isnt everything and when we were sitting on the beach earlier this week we both made the comment 'money cant buy this' . happiness is worth so much more . we are facing going back to 6 months of cold wet dismal weather ( SFG cannot believe how much it hurts scraping ice off of your car windshield at 7am in the morning when its pitch black)

Too often i see on these baords 'natives' slating Florida because of the job market, yet it seems those who want work generally seem to find it. Its too easy to criticise and not get off of your a** and do something. and hey you can always leave.

For us the lifestyle will far outweigh any financial suffering.

I challenge anyone to give up this beautuiful weather and go live somehwere where some days you never see the sun, it rains all day and you need lights and heating on 24/7

and now

time for the beach..................

Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 AM

105 posts, read 186,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I dont think anyone could ever accuse SFG of being biased , her reports are always very well balanced and accurate. not everyone has to make a sale 'at all costs'

what some people fail to take into account is that people want to move here for the quality of life.
we intend relocating here next year.
our income will probably fall from a very nice six figures to a whole lot less. but our home will be paid for and we will have a few bucks in the bank. will we have to budget and cut back? maybe. but money isnt everything and when we were sitting on the beach earlier this week we both made the comment 'money cant buy this' . happiness is worth so much more . we are facing going back to 6 months of cold wet dismal weather ( SFG cannot believe how much it hurts scraping ice off of your car windshield at 7am in the morning when its pitch black)

Too often i see on these baords 'natives' slating Florida because of the job market, yet it seems those who want work generally seem to find it. Its too easy to criticise and not get off of your a** and do something. and hey you can always leave.

For us the lifestyle will far outweigh any financial suffering.

I challenge anyone to give up this beautuiful weather and go live somehwere where some days you never see the sun, it rains all day and you need lights and heating on 24/7

and now

time for the beach..................
Very well said! I couldn't have said it better! I'm an accountant and have had 4 job offers in Sarasota and I don't even live there yet! I'm moving very soon and will have a job but the warm weather and the beach are where we find happiness, not in our wallet. Now, I'm not saying that money doesn't help because it does and we all know that it takes money to live. I will not be taking a large paycut at all! The pay is almost the same and I will make up for it at the beach! LOL! It's rainy and 50 degrees here in Indiana today and the snow is not too far off! I hate the days of scraping the windshield in 10 degree weather! Arrgghhh! Sunshine here I come!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
Mr and Mrs Sunshine
Is it your plan to snowbird here six months with a B-2 visa and spend the other six months in the UK. If not then you will have to address the visa problems

Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
PTB
we are going the whole hog, full PR via L1A. i own a company who funnily enough will sponsor me to start up over here.However Mrs s is the nap hand. She is a nurse but it will be quicker to get in via me and then have her change status from L2 .

bugger going back for 6 months (although for 12-18 months i will be going back 1 week per month) all until we get the GC

are you on an E2 ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area