Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 13,694 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Sarasota soon and really need to find a place that is relatively inexpensive. Is the area South of Fruitville, East of McIntosh, West of I75, North of Bahia vista a relatively safe area? I am a single female and will be living alone, so safety is important. However, I am not looking for a glamorous place, just somewhere that will be somewhat quiet at night and a place that I wont have to worry about my car/home getting broken into. Any advice that you all can give would be wonderful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 PM

anyone?

i appreciate any advice that you all can give---I have read that the area below fruitville is ok, but is being that close to fruitville something I need to worry about safety-wise? Thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2009, 05:15 AM

8 posts, read 18,904 times
Great area. All of Sarasota along I-75 E & W. Clark, Bee Ridge, Fruitville, University. I live E Fruitville so this is my area.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Acres View Post
Great area. All of Sarasota along I-75 E & W. Clark, Bee Ridge, Fruitville, University. I live E Fruitville so this is my area.
Its hard to move without being able to look at the location first- I did that several years ago and ended up in a *really* bad part of tampa , so I am trying not to repeat that horrible experience. Thank you!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymay View Post
Its hard to move without being able to look at the location first- I did that several years ago and ended up in a *really* bad part of tampa , so I am trying not to repeat that horrible experience. Thank you!
Are you looking for house rental or apt. community rental? Do you need to be "on top" of the highway for work?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
Quote:
anyone?

i appreciate any advice that you all can give---I have read that the area below fruitville is ok, but is being that close to fruitville something I need to worry about safety-wise? Thanks in advance

Florida is so hard to say bad area good area. You can have 1/2 million dollar homes and then across the street are tiny shacks that don't have the best of tenants. You really have to look at the apartment or house then check out the surrounding neighborhood. I live off Proctor, between Honore and Cattleman. I am a single mom of 3 and I feel safe in my development, but won't lie to you there have been burglaries and home invasions within a 1/2 mile and unless your car is in the garage things may get stolen.

What is your price range?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Are you looking for house rental or apt. community rental? Do you need to be "on top" of the highway for work?
No, I dont need to be "on top" of the highway for work. I will actually be working at SMH. I found a place on ponder ave (there are a lot of duplexes side by side on the street) for 650, which is pretty much one of the only places i have found that fits within my price range. Craigslist is difficult to use to find places when you are not local- I have found a lot of scams on there, not much else.

I cannot pay more than 650 or rent will literally be eating into my food/gas budget. I have found apartments that are closer to SMH that are within my price range (east of 41, north of fruitville, which I guess is a bad area?) and when I look at apartment ratings they sound like they are less than ideal.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Florida is so hard to say bad area good area. You can have 1/2 million dollar homes and then across the street are tiny shacks that don't have the best of tenants. You really have to look at the apartment or house then check out the surrounding neighborhood. I live off Proctor, between Honore and Cattleman. I am a single mom of 3 and I feel safe in my development, but won't lie to you there have been burglaries and home invasions within a 1/2 mile and unless your car is in the garage things may get stolen.

What is your price range?
I cant spend more than 650 (a 1/1 or studio would be fine) and have to be within 10-15 mins of SMH. The home has to be pet friendly, which complicates things a little. Also, I really need w/d connections because I work odd hours and dont want to be at a laundry mat in the middle of the night. When I lived in tampa, my car was arsoned and neighbors were in various gangs- I refuse to repeat that!!! I am looking at ponder ave/kensington if that helps at all.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:26 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
No, I dont need to be "on top" of the highway for work. I will actually be working at SMH. I found a place on ponder ave (there are a lot of duplexes side by side on the street) for 650, which is pretty much one of the only places i have found that fits within my price range. Craigslist is difficult to use to find places when you are not local- I have found a lot of scams on there, not much else.

I cannot pay more than 650 or rent will literally be eating into my food/gas budget. I have found apartments that are closer to SMH that are within my price range (east of 41, north of fruitville, which I guess is a bad area?) and when I look at apartment ratings they sound like they are less than ideal.
I live down the block from SMH and pay under $600 for a studio including utilities. You should consider the area around the hospital as it's very nice & very safe.

East of 41 and north of fruitville is variable. I found my place on Craigslist. You can find plenty of affordable rentals in the Hillview/Southside area.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 PM

8 posts, read 18,904 times
Good luck if you need anything more just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area