Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 AM

62 posts, read 181,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keywestcouple View Post
I just want to say that my husband and I decided to move to North Port back in January of this year. After 3 months of negotiations we ended up in a home with well water in the Biscayne/Price area. Our house is 3 years old, is a 3 BR/2 BA/2CG, has a pool with solar heat and a very nice sized lot. We paid almost half of what we would have paid for a similar home in Columbus, Ohio. After discovering this forum and reading posts from January until March I was just sick to my stomache and scared to death that we had made a bad decision. It seemed that the few people we knew who lived here were telling us very positive things; but the posts on here were 98% negative.

We have now been North Port residents for 3 short weeks. My husband got a great job the first week after going on ONE interview, it is a skilled trades job, it is in the local area and it does pay very well. The neighbors are very nice people and every single one of them say they feel 100% safe in this neighborhood and even would leave their doors unlocked without being worried.

We have talked to everyone we can about the schools and will be enrolling our son in kindergarten for the fall. We have heard 99% positive things regarding the school from the people who live here; not the people on these forums.

Overall we are extremely happy with our decision. Like anyplace in the world; your town is what you make of it. There is so much to do here if you just get out and do it. Lots of area festivals. We are "outdoors-type" people so the boating, fishing, golfing, beaching, hiking, camping...stuff is right up our alley. We are within a few hours drive to a TON of great stuff and can take a weekend trip to anywhere in Florida including the Keys.

We visited Boca Grande this past weekend and as we layed there looking at the gorgeous aqua colored water we reminded ourselves that we are not on vacation; we live here and we love it!!!!!!

If you are a "northerner" considering moving to North Port, please feel free to email us at keywestcouple@gmail.com and we will gladly share any information we have with you. It was difficult to find much online for North Port.
ya! congrats on your move to north port! i made the move 3 years ago from up north and its been great! i'm on the other side of town, east of toledo blade where all the construction is going on! must be a good sign of things to come for north port!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 31,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I have to agree with Arrgh on this one.
I'm no expert on anything, but I did do an exhaustive amount of research (and looking around) over the past two years.
North Port is exploding with new development (and not just residential).
For myself, I'd like to try to be ahead of the curve, rather than behind it.
I mentioned North Port to someone last week(in Rhode Island of all places) and her exact quote was: "You're the 3rd person today that's told me about North Port".
I have a sense that between the high prices in Sarasota and Ft. Myers, a lot of people are taking a long look at North Port.
I think a lot of us will look back a few years from now and say we could have bought in cheap (relatively) in 2007.

I live in MA, and I have had people telling me about North Port for at least 3-4 years now. Our family in Sarasota are really wanting us to move there. We will be going down to FL in the next month or 2 to really start checking things out and North Port is first on our list.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM

42 posts, read 99,087 times
I moved from Mass. a little over 4 yrs ago and absolutely love living in North Port. Our median age is late 30's whereas Venice and other places have a median age in the 60's. We are a growing town and have a come long ways in 4 yrs and as the economy bounces back I am sure we will continue to see more and more growth. To me the taxes are 1/2 what I was paying in Taxachusetts and I am getting heck of a lot more bang for my dollar in taxes as well as what I have for a home compared to what I had in Massachusetts. Plus the perks of living 20 mins from the beach without the added burden of having to get flood insurance. Oh yeah, and don't forget the beautiful weather!!!! Come on down, I know you won't regret living in North Port!! I certainly haven't!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 AM

42 posts, read 99,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
The only place crime is particularly bad is on this board!

Honestly, I am getting a bit sick of these posts.... I have not met one person who has told me they were concerned about their neighborhood, or were a victim of ANY FORM OF CRIME since I've been down here.

I'm beginning to think some people are working a hidden agenda here...

Mikey
When you read the crime log in the Sun paper you can see the majority of the drug problem and crime lies in Pt Charlotte. Instead you have people on here bashing North Port saying we have gangs and all kinds of crime. Well, shall we put the stats in proper perspective people?? We have grown and are now approximately the size of Sarasota (50 -52k people) and I am sure our crime stats are no where near theres. Instead you have people on here comparing us to Venice and Englewood. Venice (pop 22k, average age 68)or Englewood (pop 18k, avg age 60) who CANNOT be compared to North Port whose median age is approximately 38 and who has more than double the poulation. Like others said, I think there are some posters on here with a hidden agenda who enjoy bashing North Port and who are a little concerned with our getting a new hospital which will be affiliated with Sarasota Memorial or who feel threatened with our explosive growth. Instead of bashing us, why not be proud to have us as your neighbors?? I for one am very proud to say I live in North Port and hope North Port and the whole area continues to thrive!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM

64 posts, read 125,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnfl View Post
I moved from Mass. a little over 4 yrs ago and absolutely love living in North Port. Our median age is late 30's whereas Venice and other places have a median age in the 60's. We are a growing town and have a come long ways in 4 yrs and as the economy bounces back I am sure we will continue to see more and more growth. To me the taxes are 1/2 what I was paying in Taxachusetts and I am getting heck of a lot more bang for my dollar in taxes as well as what I have for a home compared to what I had in Massachusetts. Plus the perks of living 20 mins from the beach without the added burden of having to get flood insurance. Oh yeah, and don't forget the beautiful weather!!!! Come on down, I know you won't regret living in North Port!! I certainly haven't!

Omg yeah. I live in MA now, planning our move for mid summer this year. We have really NO property to speak of. I have enough yard in the back for my doggy to do her business. The kids can't play there. The grassy area in the front is just that, a grassy area. I have an itty bitty garden in the front.
The houses that I can RENT in NP are far superior in quality. Here, if you want to rent an entire HOUSE, you are looking at paying at least 2,000, at least, no utilities. Usually it is apartments that are rented and in my area, rents for a 2br apartment run around 900, which is what you can rent an entire house for in NP, I have seen as low as 795 too. Amazing.

Of course, the job thing, I know I know. Its bad down there, I guess I will have to see for myself though. Its bad here too.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 AM

40 posts, read 102,012 times
We moved from Northern New England to North Port in 2005 and we can't tell you how glad we are that we did. My relatives call in January and February just to ask how warm it is here. To be able to enjoy our yard or have lunch on the lanai in a tee-shirt in January is worth it all. There is no more crime in my North Port neighborhood than there was in our small town up north, where we lived for more than 30 years. And housing prices? Thanks to agressive builders who built spec homes during the boom, one can buy almost new homes here for less than one would pay for a 50-year-old home in New England.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 AM

29 posts, read 58,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnfl View Post
I to am interested in looking into NOrth Port we live in NY right now but are planning to go to FL in about 2-3 yrs. We have two kids so schools are important. I have def had much more positive feedback about this town then any other i have been looking at. THanks for your positive feedback!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:09 PM

425 posts, read 1,104,699 times
Default we love it there

we to bought in North Port in 2007,in a 55 park,we did extensive research and came down first before we bought, my DH's uncle is in Fort Myers.
we own the land we live on and also a share of the park,our monthly fee is 105.00 and that includes trash and lawn service.
although we cant be down full-time we enjoy the time we are down there so much, 25 minute ride to the beach, and all the major stores are around 3 miles from us.you wont regret buying in North Port I promise you that
and any real estate questions ,just give a shout out to SoFlaGal
she lives in North Port and is a wealth of information
happy hunting

Old 07-16-2009, 04:49 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmallie View Post
we to bought in North Port in 2007,in a 55 park,we did extensive research and came down first before we bought, my DH's uncle is in Fort Myers.
we own the land we live on and also a share of the park,our monthly fee is 105.00 and that includes trash and lawn service.
although we cant be down full-time we enjoy the time we are down there so much, 25 minute ride to the beach, and all the major stores are around 3 miles from us.you wont regret buying in North Port I promise you that
and any real estate questions ,just give a shout out to SoFlaGal
she lives in North Port and is a wealth of information
happy hunting

I second the idea for them to contact SoFLGal, she really knows how to work with people, and help with all the services an out of town buyer really needs.

Grandmallie, I hope you get down soon! You're awfully nice letting your husband get away all the time.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 PM

425 posts, read 1,104,699 times
Default What can I say Im a Gem

its sorta hard to travel with 3 dogs , and he has more vacation time than me
I work in a dental office and from what I hear the economy is hitting us too, our schedule is dwindling and im scared to death, I cant afford to be out of work
please keep me in your thoughts everyone will you?
Ill be down the 5th of September
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area