Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 21,448 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I just took a job at MCC and will be moving to the area during the summer. I'm coming in to look for a house next week. I've been lurking, reading the forum for a few months and it's been great. SoFLGal in particular has been very helpful. I've narrowed down my housing choices to two areas: Lakewood Ranch, and the numerous Bradenton developments in the rectangle between 64-75-University-301. I've found a lot on here and elsewhere (good and bad) about Lakewood Ranch, but far less about homes in that area of Bradenton.

Is that a decent area? Is it safe? Will those houses retain their value over time? Because I'm looking for a relatively new (say later than 2000), 3+ bdrm SFH for less than 200K it looks like I'm pretty much looking at those two areas.

Thanks for any and all thoughts. This forum has probably saved me (and my realtor) a ton of effort and grief.

Danny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calurduran View Post
Hi everyone. I just took a job at MCC and will be moving to the area during the summer. I'm coming in to look for a house next week. I've been lurking, reading the forum for a few months and it's been great. SoFLGal in particular has been very helpful. I've narrowed down my housing choices to two areas: Lakewood Ranch, and the numerous Bradenton developments in the rectangle between 64-75-University-301. I've found a lot on here and elsewhere (good and bad) about Lakewood Ranch, but far less about homes in that area of Bradenton.

Is that a decent area? Is it safe? Will those houses retain their value over time? Because I'm looking for a relatively new (say later than 2000), 3+ bdrm SFH for less than 200K it looks like I'm pretty much looking at those two areas.

Thanks for any and all thoughts. This forum has probably saved me (and my realtor) a ton of effort and grief.

Danny
I don't know about the prices, but there are a few nice developments right off University Parkway that you should check out. SoFLGal can probably help you out with that. I think that University Parkway has the best shopping and restaurants, as well as being the most beautiful commercial road I have ever seen. It is very beautiful and safe in any of those developments, IMO. University Park is a newer one, and there is also Palm Aire, an older nice development. There are others, but I forget the names.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calurduran View Post

Danny
Danny I would really say look into the Lakewood Ranch area. The area Gypsy is talkign about is nice too. There are many nice areas but the problem is as soon as you go one street over, you are in a less favorable area. I live in Tara Preserves right outside of LWR and I regret not moving into LWR or to the University Park area. I am in the triagle you mentioned.

I have a man across the street that fixes Harley's as a business and you know how quiet they are. I have a "raceway" behind my house and every truck, car or motorcycle knows that and drives about 60 down the road with no stop signs or side roads off of it. It sounds like I live on a highway. AND let's not forget to mention the 13, yes 13! Kids who play in the road/yard right next to me. I come home to scooters and bikes laying all over my driveway. You HAVE TO know your neighbors before you buy!!! I suggest going to a house during the day but then again later on once the kids get home from school and the people are home. That way you can see what you will be facing when you get home from work.

I see tagging, here, there is none in LWR. SOFLGal can help you out BUT if you don't find a house right away, it's OK. I live right here, tell SOFLGAL the address of a place you want to see and if you are not here yet, I can go by and take pics and send them for you to look at. It's easier for me to zip by then it is SoFLGal. She can DM me addresses to take pics of and I will gladly go. If you want to see pics of shopping centers,etc. just say the word. You can DM me if you have any specific questions.

I know what it is like to be in your shoes and I would have loved to have a person to take pics for me

Stick to LWR, you won't regret it.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Danny I would really say look into the Lakewood Ranch area. The area Gypsy is talkign about is nice too. There are many nice areas but the problem is as soon as you go one street over, you are in a less favorable area. I live in Tara Preserves right outside of LWR and I regret not moving into LWR or to the University Park area. I am in the triagle you mentioned.

I have a man across the street that fixes Harley's as a business and you know how quiet they are. I have a "raceway" behind my house and every truck, car or motorcycle knows that and drives about 60 down the road with no stop signs or side roads off of it. It sounds like I live on a highway. AND let's not forget to mention the 13, yes 13! Kids who play in the road/yard right next to me. I come home to scooters and bikes laying all over my driveway. You HAVE TO know your neighbors before you buy!!! I suggest going to a house during the day but then again later on once the kids get home from school and the people are home. That way you can see what you will be facing when you get home from work.

I see tagging, here, there is none in LWR. SOFLGal can help you out BUT if you don't find a house right away, it's OK. I live right here, tell SOFLGAL the address of a place you want to see and if you are not here yet, I can go by and take pics and send them for you to look at. It's easier for me to zip by then it is SoFLGal. She can DM me addresses to take pics of and I will gladly go. If you want to see pics of shopping centers,etc. just say the word. You can DM me if you have any specific questions.

I know what it is like to be in your shoes and I would have loved to have a person to take pics for me

Stick to LWR, you won't regret it.
You're such a sweetie Jenny! I have referred him to an agent up in Bradenton. Although I was born in Bradenton I don't feel as though I have a real good pulse on the market up there. That's why I'd rather not explore any places north of Sarasota. If I don't feel I can do a good job I'm not going to take on a project. I probably know just enough about Bradenton to get me in trouble.

Danny-I think Jenny would be an excellent contact for you down here. Like she said, I'm sure she would be willing to offer an opinion on a neighborhood or home. I'm so excited that you got the job down here. Now we just need to find you a great area to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area