Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Find living on the west coast of Florida gay friendly?
A: Not at All 4 28.57%
B: Somewhat 4 28.57%
C: Very 4 28.57%
D: Definitly 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
The only thing here that's sad is the insensitivity displayed on this thread. Unless you are gay yourself, you could not possibly begin to understand the factors a gay or lesbian must assess when approaching simple everyday things that a heterosexual would take for granted. To reproach this person and say that they are "wrong" just demonstrates your ignorance and judgment, which, although I find it appalling, I do not find it in the least bit surprising.

Frankly, I'd much rather visit a qualified gay or lesbian doctor than a heterosexual one. It's a preference, based on the fact that the US is still extremely hostile toward the presence of gays and lesbians. Until you understand that reality, you won't understand the need for gays and lesbians to find their own kind in an unjust, prejudicial world.
Well said, the hostility in the thread says something as do some of the condescending comments. As a gay man I have on two occassions had problems with doctors or shall I say they had a problem with me. My partner of 26 years had a heart attack last year and although I got to ride with my "spouse"; I had to fight and be very firm because the drivers, at first, did not understand why I WAS adamant on accompanying my mate. Florida, with two thirds of the population voting against gays , has never seemed "friendly" to me.Some of the worst gay bashing threads I have ever read here at city-data, have originated from the Sarasota forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,030 times
why does it matter who someone has sex with, when they are performing medical care for you? Were you wanting to give him a special tip after he diagnoses you? Do they have seperate medical schools for gay doctors now?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emwucher View Post
Does anyone know of a good gay doctor. I need a primary care and have insurance but tring to find a gay doctor is very hard. Help Please
Before I even read all the comments, I want to say that my first reaction is

How would I even know if a doctor is gay? If I were fortunate enough to have good health insurance, I would only care about the physician's experience. I'm trying to figure out what physiology a gay man would have that's any different from a straight man. Call me naive, but unless you are talking about a psychiatrist, treating a gay man for cancer isn't any different from treating a woman or child, is it? I'm a White, Jewish female in her late 50s. If I get sick, I won't care if the doctor is a 35 year old Catholic transexual.

On the other hand, if I were homosexual, I certainly would want a doctor who was "Gay Friendly" but that isn't the way your post is written. Although every physician should care about the person he or she is treating, we all know that isn't always the case. Doctors are only people like the rest of us and have their own personal prejudices. This doesn't only apply to homosexuals. I once was charged for a pregnancy test by an OB/GYN and I hadn't had sex in close to a year. He just assumed I was sexually active and embarrassed to talk about it. That was when I was much younger & hotter. I have some similar stories, so I know that people in the medical field can be judgmental.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
I am also in the medical field and can assure you that some personnel are very prejudiced. I took the thread as sincere, since I can understand that especially under certain circumstances the op may want a gay friendly doctor or one more knowledgeable about some gay health issues. AND I agree we should not need a thread like this but we need to get real and facethat some people are very homophobic. I had a doctor assume something about gays which I do not engage in and then he berated me after insulting me.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,730,526 times
All of the doctors I have had here in Sarasota/Bradenton have been kind, caring and professional doctors. I don't know rather they were gay or not, and frankly it didn't (and still doesn't) matter.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM

51 posts, read 222,803 times
The OP is a consumer and can spend his/her money as s/he sees fit. If the OP wants a doctor with red hair, or who smokes, or who is gay, that's the OP's business. The OP asked for help identifying a doctor who meets his/her criteria, and anyone who can't or won't help should move on. It is inappropriate to use this thread to judge the OP, someone whose circumstances are unknown to us.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
out of interest would you say the same thing if someone posted.
I am straight I dont want a gay doctor
or
I am white I dont want a non caucasion ??

Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
out of interest would you say the same thing if someone posted.
I am straight I dont want a gay doctor
or
I am white I dont want a non caucasion ??
Exactly. It's like where do we draw the line when we have to start dicing up everything like that. I still think all good doctors see and treat us ALL as people. Not by someones sexuality or preference. When it comes to healthcare, we are all susceptible to getting sick. Doesn't matter if you're gay or straight and needing treatment. With this kind of mindset of the OP, do they also only live in gay neighborhoods, shop only gay run stores and businesses? Demand only a gay hairdresser? I am gay and don't think like this in such a small minded way. My doctor and all doctors treat and see me as a person/human being. They could care less what I do and who I am in my private time. And I would be appalled at someone asking upfront about a doctors private personal preferences/orientation in life. He's/she's there to treat you, not discuss HIM.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 PM

51 posts, read 222,803 times
Yes, if the OP asked for leads on a doctor who is straight or black or one legged or drives a 1976 Pinto, one should either provide the requested information or move on to another thread. I don't know the reasons behind most people's peculiarities, though I have nurtured plenty of my own, and I certainly don't know enough about other posters on this forum to judge them. There's no need to be contemptuous of people who likely have problems you and I can't fathom. Instead try to be helpful, and take satisfaction in knowing that the problems you read about on this forum aren't your family's problems.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
i would far rather have a good doctor be he/she straight/gay black/ white and have limbs missing than a crap white straight able bodied one who missed something. Bottom line its the treatment that counts.

not once have i ever thought when asked to 'cough' - is he doing this for kicks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area