Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 AM

531 posts, read 1,162,260 times

Advertisements

Have a SUPER time in wonderful SWF on your trip, ZZ and family! I wish we were here longer to have MET with you! Maybe next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 9,031 times
Grr...my post disappeared.

Hi all!

I've been lurking for about 5 years now. We've been trying to make a decision to move for about 4.5 years now - although our move seems to be in reverse. We've been trying to decide on moving OUT of Sarasota (and Florida for that matter).

I've lived here since 1976 and it's definately not what it used to be.

My girls are starting school soon and we live in the worst district in the county (imho). Unfortunately, we don't really think the schools are good here. We can't seem to justify spending $200K+ to send them to private school, but don't really see any schools we'd want to send them too.

Sure, the beaches are beautiful, but I can't live at the beach. I see so much blight, drug addicts, prostitutes, home invasions, robberies, car-jackings (and no, not in my neighborhood - just North Sarasota in general).

We've been deciding whether or not to move to Harleysville, PA (where hubby is from) for 4.5 years now. Well, it's getting time to you-know-what or get off the pot. The school district there is top-notch imo. So many 5-star community ratings and 8, 9, 10 ratings from greatschools. Also know lots of people with kids in school currently, not just going by the good 'ole internet.

Am I taking our town for granted? I can't see the beauty anymore, all I can see is what I mentioned.

Jobs are not an issue for either of us. Hubby's hesitant because of the top-notch medical care we get here (he's disabled and I have some issues, lol), we love our primary doc, we love our girls pediatrician and dentists. We get a property tax exemption in either state because of hubby's disability, so property taxes, income taxes, etc., are also not an issue.

The drawn out decision making process is driving us insane. I know there's not one right answer, but who knew making this kind of a decision would be so hard?!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 PM

398 posts, read 822,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryotterfeet View Post

Hi all!

I've been lurking for about 5 years now. We've been trying to make a decision to move for about 4.5 years now - although our move seems to be in reverse. We've been trying to decide on moving OUT of Sarasota (and Florida for that matter).

My girls are starting school soon and we live in the worst district in the county (imho). Unfortunately, we don't really think the schools are good here. We can't seem to justify spending $200K+ to send them to private school, but don't really see any schools we'd want to send them too.

Sure, the beaches are beautiful, but I can't live at the beach. I see so much blight, drug addicts, prostitutes, home invasions, robberies, car-jackings (and no, not in my neighborhood - just North Sarasota in general).

We've been deciding whether or not to move to Harleysville, PA (where hubby is from) for 4.5 years now. Well, it's getting time to you-know-what or get off the pot. The school district there is top-notch imo. So many 5-star community ratings and 8, 9, 10 ratings from greatschools. Also know lots of people with kids in school currently, not just going by the good 'ole internet.

Am I taking our town for granted? I can't see the beauty anymore, all I can see is what I mentioned.

Jobs are not an issue for either of us. Hubby's hesitant because of the top-notch medical care we get here (he's disabled and I have some issues, lol), we love our primary doc, we love our girls pediatrician and dentists. We get a property tax exemption in either state because of hubby's disability, so property taxes, income taxes, etc., are also not an issue.

The drawn out decision making process is driving us insane. I know there's not one right answer, but who knew making this kind of a decision would be so hard?!
" I see so much blight, drug addicts, prostitutes, home invasions, robberies, car-jackings (and no, not in my neighborhood - just North Sarasota in general)."

I'm glad we don't hang out where you do Good Luck on your move.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default It's a Good Move for You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryotterfeet View Post

Hi all!

It really sounds better for you to move back to PA. Just doctors you appreciate is not enough to make a life somewhere where you don't feel comfortable and are not happy. Seems like your girls would be better off in PA schools. Make your decision and call the movers!! Good luck with everything.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I live in "north Sarasota" and definitely do NOT see what you see. We love it here. But we are all different, try moving back to PA and see if you like it or not. Some people just get tired of a place and get the "grass is greener" syndrome. Many find out it is not. But it sounds like it would be easier for your family to move than most, so give it a shot if you think it's better for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 9,031 times
Really? You guys must not EVER drive on 41 in North Sarasota. I went to CVS the other day and saw 4 prostitutes, 2 pimps, at least 3 johns, 3 people who were obviously high/drunk, 2 people carrying a half empty case of beer (and each drinking 1) - all before 11am. As the day progresses, it gets more obvious/worse.

I have never lived in PA. This (Sarasota/Bradenton) is all I've ever "known" - been here since I was 6. Hubby left PA in 1992. He likes the good things here (loves Mote, likes the Beach, etc), but he can't stand the urban-ness either (is that even a word, lol). He's hesitant about moving "back" to PA because he only remembers it from a teenager's point of view: it's boring, nothing to do, etc., you know, the same things I said about here when I was 16.

Being 100% disabled, doctors ARE a concern, but I'm not sure how we should "weight" that in comparison to "weighting" the schools.

I have a friend here, who (unfortunately) is going to be losing his house to foreclosure. He wants to short-sell it to us. The house is beautiful, the lot is beautiful, his neighborhood is fantastic. However, we would still be in the same school district we are now, and really would not be able to afford the mortgage combined with private school tuition.

By the way, how exactly do you sell a house with a 4-year old and a 2-year old, lol?! The house is NEVER in show condition and even after picking up/cleaning up, the house is a disaster within 30 minutes!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM

103 posts, read 295,029 times
What area specifically are you referring to in North Sarasota? Can you give street names because I am considering purchasing a home up there and need to be educated.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM

114 posts, read 358,620 times
Default It' not jealously, it's knowledge

I think you may be mistaken about relatives and friends motivation about your move to Sarasota. It may not be jealousy, it may be a legitimate concern about your future.

You are moving to Sarasota without a job.
Even if — and that's a big if — you are able to find a job in your field, the salary for your expertise will be what they pay the janitor at your company in Minnesota where you worked.
A job in aerospace in Sarasota/Bradenton. There aren't any as aerospace companies don't locate there as they realize that high school grads can't even spell aerospace.

If you have $6,000,000 in 10-year T-Bills paying 2.56 percent I urge you to move to Sarasota rent a small house — not on or near the beach (you'll need another $6 million in T-Bills for that) — and as one poster said "never look back."

Then you can sit in you air conditioned house from May 1 through Nov. 15 because it's like winter in Minnesota. YOU CAN'T SIT OR STAND OUTSIDE BECAUSE IT'S UNBEARABLE - IT'S TOO DAMN HOT.
But you can sit inside and watch the cockroaches race across your tiled Florida room.

After a trip to the beach, then you can go to the hospital for third degree burns on your feet and heat exhaustion and visit with a roomful of 80-year-olds telling you about their knee transplants.

Then Nov. 16 comes and you can now comfortably go outside without fainting.
So on a Friday night you decide to go out to dinner with your wife. You arrive at a restaurant — after driving through traffic that seems more like LA at rush hour — to find out there is ONLY a two hour wait. Lucky you — welcome to "season."

If you buy a house in a "compound" with a neighborhood association, than you can't wait around while they decide what color you can paint your house.

Or if you buy in a non association neighborhood you can sit looking out you front window and watch your neighbor try to see if he can bounce his son hard enough off his trampolin to land him on the roof. This, while his buddies sit on the hood of the 1973 rusted out pickup truck that's sitting in the front yard. They of course are drunk because hell it's already 11 a.m. on a Tuesday. Get-er-done.

If you get tired of that you can always go down to a fancy drinking establishment for lunch — that's a liquid lunch with all the other old guys.

Charming.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM

114 posts, read 358,620 times
FURRYOTTERFEET — Thousands of smart people are leaving. Good luck on your escape plans.MY ADVICE IS FROM THE GUYS AT MONTY PYTHON — "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY."

Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemover96b View Post
I think you may be mistaken about relatives and friends motivation about your move to Sarasota. It may not be jealousy, it may be a legitimate concern about your future.

You are moving to Sarasota without a job.
Even if — and that's a big if — you are able to find a job in your field, the salary for your expertise will be what they pay the janitor at your company in Minnesota where you worked.
A job in aerospace in Sarasota/Bradenton. There aren't any as aerospace companies don't locate there as they realize that high school grads can't even spell aerospace.

If you have $6,000,000 in 10-year T-Bills paying 2.56 percent I urge you to move to Sarasota rent a small house — not on or near the beach (you'll need another $6 million in T-Bills for that) — and as one poster said "never look back."

Then you can sit in you air conditioned house from May 1 through Nov. 15 because it's like winter in Minnesota. YOU CAN'T SIT OR STAND OUTSIDE BECAUSE IT'S UNBEARABLE - IT'S TOO DAMN HOT.
But you can sit inside and watch the cockroaches race across your tiled Florida room.

After a trip to the beach, then you can go to the hospital for third degree burns on your feet and heat exhaustion and visit with a roomful of 80-year-olds telling you about their knee transplants.

Then Nov. 16 comes and you can now comfortably go outside without fainting.
So on a Friday night you decide to go out to dinner with your wife. You arrive at a restaurant — after driving through traffic that seems more like LA at rush hour — to find out there is ONLY a two hour wait. Lucky you — welcome to "season."

If you buy a house in a "compound" with a neighborhood association, than you can't wait around while they decide what color you can paint your house.

Or if you buy in a non association neighborhood you can sit looking out you front window and watch your neighbor try to see if he can bounce his son hard enough off his trampolin to land him on the roof. This, while his buddies sit on the hood of the 1973 rusted out pickup truck that's sitting in the front yard. They of course are drunk because hell it's already 11 a.m. on a Tuesday. Get-er-done.

If you get tired of that you can always go down to a fancy drinking establishment for lunch — that's a liquid lunch with all the other old guys.

Charming.
Wow - bitter much?? What a bunch of baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area