Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 AM

114 posts, read 358,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wow - bitter much?? What a bunch of baloney.

Baloney, the staple food for working people in Sarasota County, when they can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Default Open to Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryotterfeet View Post
Sorry, admittedly, I have not read the entire thread and did not realize that "I can't get to Florida fast enough!", OP 6/2009 was "your thread". While I understand you started it, I did not realize it was a documentary of YOUR ongoing struggles to move here fast enough and thought it was open to anyone.

ETA: Is there a way to edit past posts? I can edit this one, as I just posted it, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove my old posts (or just put the word delete in it), so as not to threadjack.
Aren't ALL threads open to anyone? Is one poster able to monopolize an entire thread just for himself? This is a question for the moderator????

Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,584 times
Hi friends and happy fall. I only mean to leave a brief note on here but feel the need to preface something beforehand.

As a previous poster made mention about monopolizing a thread to themselves (myself) I do admit having used this thread in an uncommon way - but nevertheless it is a central location for sharing between people with pertinence and understanding of the situation. Many threads have a brief or pointed question and then lots of people spill out ideas and opinions responding to the Op's post(s). In this situation, I've connected with several Sarasotans for a couple years now, even met face to face, all while on a journey to end up living side by side. This is a process and it involves a series of needs and questions along the way. I do apologize if that is an offense of misuse of the intent of the site, however several moderators have reviewed this thread before because a few have even messaged me with support or posted publicly regarding this effort - so if I have somehow crossed a line, it is not apparent to me or to the thousands who have read this string over the years. I hope to find continued direction through this thread and others in similar boats may find encouragement while stumbling on this too. Thanks for your understanding in this friends.

On to my latest purpose for writing you - My wife was accepted to a Nursing program and has attended now for more than two months. She continues to do fantastic and so we are both really starting to see the plan come together - finally. Our immediate goals are to complete her schooling and then in 2.5 years make a new attempt to sell our home. With her added 4 year degree as an RN (far more favorable to employers on the Culture Coast than my niche profession/experience) we will have a better shot at this transfer out of the north.

I cannot anticipate how much I will be on City-Data between now and then - perhaps a bit more often towards the end of that time frame, not to mention posting an update before an occasional vacation south - so until such time I ask that you please pray for us and allow me to stay tuned in with you all too by keeping this thread open. I will likely have a whirlwind of questions once we make this move so I see continued purpose for being on here. Until that time I cannot adequately express how thankful I am for this site and the freedom I have felt by sharing our experiences and feelings with many of you. Please message me if you want a way to connect on a more personal basis and I will be more than happy to reveal my true identity and contact info (particularly to my earned acquaintances).

Cheerio

Old 10-25-2012, 05:41 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,843 times
Zara......Many congrats to your wife for her accomplishments, and we look forward to hearing more from you in the near future. Thanks so much!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
ZZB, that is fantastic news! Please keep us updated! I love this thread.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,584 times
Short update on our progress for my friends:

I was in Sarasota again a few weeks ago. Sorry to have not posted about it ahead of time. We kept to ourselves on a spring break with the kids. Went all over the state again but spent much of our time where we normally go. Still feels like coming home.

Things are good. We are not back into selling our home or applying for jobs again yet, but our efforts to work hard in our employment, pay down debt, and continue education are paying off. Still moving along toward the goal one step at a time.

Sorry this is a brief and rather unexciting update for now. I'd love to go on and on about our trip but this is all for now. Take care everyone and best wishes to those of you looking to move.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Thanks for the update. I don't know if I told you but it took my husband and I 8 years to get down here and was well worth the wait.

Good luck and hang in there!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 PM

41 posts, read 62,783 times
ZZB, I have loved your thread since you started it. I wish you the best of luck; please keep posting when you can. Tell your wife to hang in there and not get discouraged. Nursing is a wonderful profession and there are many opportunities, depending on what interests her as she goes through her clinicals. (I'm a retired ICU nurse). God bless both of you.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM

43 posts, read 85,543 times
Do it! I left my job, family, and friends in NJ in the end of 2011 (I was 25) to come to Bradenton, FL. I worked for 2 years (after college) in NJ and saved up $6,000, took my gf and whatever we could fit in our car and pickup, and moved down on a whim with no job, friends or family waiting for us. We rented cheap, ate 2$ breadsticks and Ramen Noodles for months, slept on the floor in a completely empty apartment (only a ferret cage) and blanket, limited toilet flushes and showers and traveling to save as much as possible until we got jobs and became situated. Fast forward, we both are working (although not in my field yet) and maintaining a comfortable lifestyle here, living the dream! It's so worth the struggle you go to if this is the place for you, so good luck and do it!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 PM

51 posts, read 80,152 times
I am new to posting on this forum, but the title caught my eye. I could have written that myself. As a child, we always vacationed on Siesta and I still have cousins that live in Sarasota. I have always wanted to live in the area. I am in TN now and have the house for sale. As soon as we can negotiate a contract that we can at least break even with, my husband and I are gone. Of course, we are crossing our fingers to have money for a down pmt. I want to be in Sarasota, but will happily live anywhere that is safe and comfortable. I work from home with a large insurance company so I can just pack up and go down. My husband will have to find a job though. He is in manufacturing and it doesn't look like there is much anywhere from Bradenton on down to North Port. I haven't given up on my life long dream though. It is so close...and if the only way I can live there is to rent. I will do that too. I just wish it wasn't so difficult to make this dream come true, but I guess I will appreciate it that much more when it finally happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area