Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times

Advertisements

Chinese dry wall may affect a house built between 2004 and 2007 but is easily detectable by smell and visual observations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 PM

57 posts, read 76,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Chinese dry wall may affect a house built between 2004 and 2007 but is easily detectable by smell and visual observations
Associated Press reported as early as 2001 Chinese dry walls were used in houses. 100 000 homes are built by Chinese dry wall. 36 000 of them are in Florida. Florida leads the nation in complaints about Chinese dry wall. Its effects on your health can be fatal. No kidding around with this stuff.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:38 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
If you want to get technical it can really affect any home. If someone has remolded an older home and used drywall that was manufactured in between those years it could also be in that home as well. Many people don't think of that.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-13-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
I've lived in Florida for 15 years and every city and neighborhood is different. I recommend you rent for a couple of months before you commit to buying a home. I hope & pray the economy turns around soon, but selling a home won't be easy over the next couple of years, so make your choice wisely.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
well I was all set to come but I am now concerned about this chinese drywall issue. On the cape coral forum there is a long thread about this issue. With so many of the homes I like being built in the last 7 years esp. 2005-2008 how do I know I wont be getting one with problems. Do you think the great price of newer homes down there has anything to do with people not buying and prices dropping due to this issue. Even if its not a factor effecting price, it certainly is effecting my comfort level with buying a house that it may not be detected in at first and then it turns out to contain this dangerous substance. How can I pretect myself financially and physically?

Please help.

Debbie
When I was shopping for a home there were some really great deals to be had in Northport on brand-new homes, and if I'm not mistaken, there still are some to be had! Just be careful ,like the others have said here,and if you find one you like , have an inspector check it out before purchase,and you should be fine!this is a great area , and really not that far from the coast.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 AM

RENT now BUY later

Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
The ideal situation would be to rent with an option to buy, with a portion of your rent money as down payment. Those are hard to find because realtors and owners want an upfront sale not one down-the-road.

Have to find an owner that doesn't need their money upfront (to buy another home), an older owner perhaps.
Look in the newspapers.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 AM

Good suggestion I should have said that!
Most realtors do not push rentals or option to purchase as they lose out on their big commissions
I should add I have an active real estate license but only act for buyers.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Good suggestion I should have said that!
Most realtors do not push rentals or option to purchase as they lose out on their big commissions
I should add I have an active real estate license but only act for buyers.
I bet you don't take one of those big commissions either, cuz you feel so guilty! - Right!

They spend weeks learning what the buyers wants, needs, and goals are, do research for them, take them around for 3-4 days sometimes on multiple excurions, spend hundreds of dollars on gas, research insurance companies, taxes, schools, inspection firms, surveyors, and just answer 200 - 300 questions, prepare contracts, negotiate, arrange for settlement, assist sometimes finding a lender, etc. . . . Man you should ***** about paying someone for the delivery of those services - as a BIG COMMISSION!

You should quit your job! There is a gold mine in being a real estate agent! And it's so darn easy!

Sorry, I'm not a real estate agent, and I have no hidden agenda! Thank - God! I could never climb that High on the ladder! I also could not climb high enough to become a good car sales man, or a good para-legal / secretary either. I was several steps lower (on the respect ladder), I was a General Contractor! Opps! Now I'm gonna lose everyone's respect! Crap!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 PM

151 posts, read 599,315 times
I don't think you are going to have to worry about the drywall issue in your price range in Sarasota the newer homes are not in that range. I'm in the 34233 neighborhood and we have great schools elem. and high school, low crime and medium home values. Home next door a foreclosure 2 bed 2 bath with uncaged pool just sold for 120K (as is). An area to explore, been here since 1991.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area