Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
I may be wrong but after muddling through the Florida fishing regulations a few months ago, I came up with the notion that you technically need a license to do any type of fishing now, whether it be pier or shore fishing, or from a personal watercraft(charter-fishing does not require license)and whether a resident or non-resident( I had to get a non-resident this time, since I was'nt a resident for the previous 6 month period)and do'nt forget your freshwater license, if you want to check out that lake that your buddy says is full of lunker bass and crappie!
Your exactly right. If you are a resident, and over 65 they give you some permit, not exactly a license, but it lets you fish and not have to pay for the license.

The fish and game wardens are out and about. I have been checked out once.

In some states, you can purchase a license that allows everyone that fishes from your boat to do so without a license. It costs more, but saves your guests a lot of hassle having going to an individual license each time. I don't know why they won't figure out what the break even point is and make it easier for everyone. I would spend more, if I could get that option. I even buy the Tarpon permit, it is an extra to the license, and I have no intention of ever keeping a Tarpon, anything I catch - if I ever catch one, will be released. I always use circle hooks, and I release most of the fish I catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Your exactly right. If you are a resident, and over 65 they give you some permit, not exactly a license, but it lets you fish and not have to pay for the license.

The fish and game wardens are out and about. I have been checked out once.

In some states, you can purchase a license that allows everyone that fishes from your boat to do so without a license. It costs more, but saves your guests a lot of hassle having going to an individual license each time. I don't know why they won't figure out what the break even point is and make it easier for everyone. I would spend more, if I could get that option. I even buy the Tarpon permit, it is an extra to the license, and I have no intention of ever keeping a Tarpon, anything I catch - if I ever catch one, will be released. I always use circle hooks, and I release most of the fish I catch.
What are circle hooks,I do'nt think I've heard that term before,and I also catch and release most of what I catch,but then again,if I ever happen to catch a nice size grouper,or some other tasty fish I may have to break out the fillet knife!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
What are circle hooks,I do'nt think I've heard that term before,and I also catch and release most of what I catch,but then again,if I ever happen to catch a nice size grouper,or some other tasty fish I may have to break out the fillet knife!
A circle hook is a type of fish hook which is sharply curved back in a circular shape. It has become widely popular among anglers in recent years because it hooks fish at a much higher percentage and rarely is swallowed by a fish (causing the hook to set in the gills or vital organs) and thus greatly decreases the mortality rates of released fish.

The science behind a circle hook revolves around the fact that its unique shape allows it to only hook onto an exposed surface, which in the case of a fish means the corner of its mouth. The fish takes the baited hook and swallows it. As you reel in, the hook is safely pulled out of the fish until it reaches the mouth. At this point it will catch the corner of the mouth of the fish. The result is fewer gut-hooked fish.

In terms of technique, it is important to not strike when the fish bites, but rather just reel in. The act of striking while using a circle hook often results in the hook being pulled out of the fish altogether.

Using circle hooks also increases the chance of a hookup, and a lot of the time the fish just hook themselves so it is a great hook to use to maximize the chance of hooking a fish.

Circle hook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
A circle hook is a type of fish hook which is sharply curved back in a circular shape. It has become widely popular among anglers in recent years because it hooks fish at a much higher percentage and rarely is swallowed by a fish (causing the hook to set in the gills or vital organs) and thus greatly decreases the mortality rates of released fish.

The science behind a circle hook revolves around the fact that its unique shape allows it to only hook onto an exposed surface, which in the case of a fish means the corner of its mouth. The fish takes the baited hook and swallows it. As you reel in, the hook is safely pulled out of the fish until it reaches the mouth. At this point it will catch the corner of the mouth of the fish. The result is fewer gut-hooked fish.

In terms of technique, it is important to not strike when the fish bites, but rather just reel in. The act of striking while using a circle hook often results in the hook being pulled out of the fish altogether.

Using circle hooks also increases the chance of a hookup, and a lot of the time the fish just hook themselves so it is a great hook to use to maximize the chance of hooking a fish.

Circle hook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SoFLGal,Thank You once again for the timely information,that You always come through with! I am going to get Me some of those circle hooks and give them a try! I absolutely hate it when a fish swallows the hook,and this may be the answer

Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 PM

OK, Now what I need to know is, what to fish with,besides plastic and artificial baits, in freshwater lakes around here. Tried that.GOT NOTHIN! Threw the whole tackle box at 'em the other day when my daughter(LIFE-LONG FISHING BUDDY) was here to visit! Fished a couple other places too(saltwater piers) and got nary a bite there either! What the heck!!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I prefer live shrimp or green back shiners when I go out. I usually have the best luck with them. And of course live crab when trying to snag a tarpon. You can get your self a bait net and catch much of what you need. Or if you go under the Tom Adams Bridge over by you in Englewood. Grab a dip net and a flashlight and shine it in the water at night. You'll see the red eyes of the shrimp glow and you can scoop them right up.

If you're gonna use lures here are a few I like- Redfish and Speckled Trout saltwater fishing lures and terminal tackle The "Oyster Proof" is great for catching Reds on the flats. It doesn't get stuck as much as some other lures. DOA makes some good lures as well-DOA pink shrimp works well for snook, reds and trout and many others- D.O.A. Online Store: D.O.A. Online Store Last is MirrorLure-I like the 4" minnow, electric chicken, MirrOlure® 4" Soft Minnow™ | MirrOLure® Lures | MirrOlure.com

Post some pics of all the fish you catch

Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
OK, Now what I need to know is, what to fish with,besides plastic and artificial baits, in freshwater lakes around here. Tried that.GOT NOTHIN! Threw the whole tackle box at 'em the other day when my daughter(LIFE-LONG FISHING BUDDY) was here to visit! Fished a couple other places too(saltwater piers) and got nary a bite there either! What the heck!!
Wannabe,

SoFLGal, must be watching a lot of fishing shows, or she is out fishing all the time! She is exactly right, what she calls strike, I call set the hook. You don't set a circle hook like you do a "J" hook where you give the line a good hard tug. You let the hook work its way naturally to the corner of the mouth, and after the fish swims with it, you give it a little resistance and then it will fix it self in the corner of the fishes mouth. More fish live this way, and aren't "gut hooked".

Ok, as far as bait. Buy some live shimp, every thing eats shrimp. If you cant catch live small fish, green backs, thread hearing, or lady fish, then use the shrimp. I have caught bonnet head sharks on shrimp, and just about everything else including grouper. You can also buy some squid, and cut it into small pieces - but that gets a bit messy. And when your done with the shrimp, put them in a zip lock bag and freeze them. They keep pretty well, and will work fine the next time you go out. Live ones work best though.

When I caught the gar, I started with shrimp, caught a lady fish, then used that as bait, and then caught the gar. I'm pretty good at fishing. Although as many times as I've tried . . ., I've never caught a cougar! Maybe you can help me bait that hook.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM

I'm not sure what the right bait is to catch a cougar either! We may have to ponder that over a cold brewski some day!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what the right bait is to catch a cougar either! We may have to ponder that over a cold brewski some day!
That sounds good to me, but I've found it doesnt matter how many beers I drink. For some reason it doesn't impress them much! But, I keep trying!

On a side note, I don't know if anyone reads the "Waterline", its a supplement in the Sun Papers. Well, on page 9. There is an article by Ralph Allen, about people being overboard. Well the last part of the article is about me. I don't know if anyone remembers the story I told a couple months ago, about my dog and I out throwing my cast net, right out in front of Fisherman's Village when there was a coast guard exercise. They threw a dummy over in a life vest, and I (having just finished bringing in the net), heard them say "Man Overboard!" Well I knew I could get to the guy before they could, so I stepped on the gas, and my dog and I were ready to throw a life line, or jump in if necessary to save this poor soul. Well it turns out that it was a test dummy. And it was an exercise. From where I was initially I couldn't tell. So I was going to help as quickly as I could. Well their version of the story is in the last segment of the article. But, that was me. I think it was funny! They threw the dummy from one of their new dinner cruise ships as I recall.

My dog Champ, and English Springer Spaniel was ready to jump in and help too! And he got honorable mention. Now that I know who was involved in the test, I may swing by this week and say hi.

http://wlf.eed.sunnewspapers.net/oli...ine_swflorida/ I don't know if this will take you directly to page 9. I kinda doubt it. But that is where the story is. - If anyone wants to check it out.

On a different note, my brother, my nephew, thier golden Labador retriever, and a friend of thiers went out duck hunting on conesus lake in WNY about a month or so ago, and thier boat capsized. My nephew swam to shore, and with a resident on the shore where they came out, managed a rescue effort that saved the life of my brother, their dog, and thier friend. The lake was half frozen, and their core temperatures dropped into the 80s. Fortunately all recovered, although a lot of thier equipment, guns, and other things sank and were lost.

Last edited by Big House; 01-24-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
That sounds good to me, but I've found it doesnt matter how many beers I drink. For some reason it doesn't impress them much! But, I keep trying!

On a side note, I don't know if anyone reads the "Waterline", its a supplement in the Sun Papers. Well, on page 9. There is an article by Ralph Allen, about people being overboard. Well the last part of the article is about me. I don't know if anyone remembers the story I told a couple months ago, about my dog and I out throwing my cast net, right out in front of Fisherman's Village when there was a coast guard exercise. They threw a dummy over in a life vest, and I (having just finished bringing in the net), heard them say "Man Overboard!" Well I knew I could get to the guy before they could, so I stepped on the gas, and my dog and I were ready to throw a life line, or jump in if necessary to save this poor soul. Well it turns out that it was a test dummy. And it was an exercise. From where I was initially I couldn't tell. So I was going to help as quickly as I could. Well their version of the story is in the last segment of the article. But, that was me. I think it was funny! They threw the dummy from one of their new dinner cruise ships as I recall.

My dog Champ, and English Springer Spaniel was ready to jump in and help too! And he got honorable mention. Now that I know who was involved in the test, I may swing by this week and say hi.

http://wlf.eed.sunnewspapers.net/oli...ine_swflorida/ I don't know if this will take you directly to page 9. I kinda doubt it. But that is where the story is. - If anyone wants to check it out.

On a different note, my brother, my nephew, thier golden Labador retriever, and a friend of thiers went out duck hunting on conesus lake in WNY about a month or so ago, and thier boat capsized. My nephew swam to shore, and with a resident on the shore where they came out, managed a rescue effort that saved the life of my brother, their dog, and thier friend. The lake was half frozen, and their core temperatures dropped into the 80s. Fortunately all recovered, although a lot of thier equipment, guns, and other things sank and were lost.
BH, I read that article the other day and what makes it hilarious is that you were the guy LOL I love the waterline and read it every week. On the other subject You mentioned I'm glad everyone was OK. I've ice fished on Conesus before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area