Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:04 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

I'm considering Sarasota as a winter location. I would live somewhere else in summers, possibly Oregon or New England. I wanted to know what others think of Sarasota for a single (straight) 39 year old guy? I have a Internet related job so I can live anywhere in the U.S. I currently live in San Diego. But contrary to popular myth, San Diego's winters are not as balmly as Southern Florida and the ocean water is cold almost year around in San Diego. San Diego coastal is more mid to low 60's day time temps in winters and springs.

I'm wondering if I'll be too young for Sarasota? I'm also looking for a place that has somewhat of a hip progressive vibe where people walk, cafe's, etc...

The Southeast Coast of FL just seems a little too congested and "plastic" to me. Miami Beach is a possibility, but I'm not really deep into the party scene anymore and it's a little over the top at this stage of my life (maybe when I was 25).

What do you think of Sarasota vs. places like Charleston SC as a winter only place to live?

I'm not super weathly but I do OK. But I still think a house in a nice location may be out of my reach in Sarasota. Other parts of the South are more affordable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,633,866 times
I live in sarasota and it is not for the young
Try St Augustine though winter can be old nights

Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm considering Sarasota as a winter location. I would live somewhere else in summers, possibly Oregon or New England. I wanted to know what others think of Sarasota for a single (straight) 39 year old guy? I have a Internet related job so I can live anywhere in the U.S. I currently live in San Diego. But contrary to popular myth, San Diego's winters are not as balmly as Southern Florida and the ocean water is cold almost year around in San Diego. San Diego coastal is more mid to low 60's day time temps in winters and springs.

I'm wondering if I'll be too young for Sarasota? I'm also looking for a place that has somewhat of a hip progressive vibe where people walk, cafe's, etc...

The Southeast Coast of FL just seems a little too congested and "plastic" to me. Miami Beach is a possibility, but I'm not really deep into the party scene anymore and it's a little over the top at this stage of my life (maybe when I was 25).

What do you think of Sarasota vs. places like Charleston SC as a winter only place to live?

I'm not super weathly but I do OK. But I still think a house in a nice location may be out of my reach in Sarasota. Other parts of the South are more affordable.

Thanks!
There are plenty of young people in Sarasota. Yes, we have our retirees also. But this is a college town so you have the very young, retirees, but also plenty of professionals in your age group - you will find them around downtown, museum area and Siesta. These are the "hip areas." Sarasota has plenty of great food, Whole Foods (downtown), organic farms, eco-friendly stuff, thousands of artists, and a big drum circle on Siesta on the weekends.

The oldsters tend to like Longboat and more of the gated communities. This is a great place to live, but of course, it all depends on what you look for in a town and what you like to do. If you have any more specific questions, we are always glad to help. Seven months out of the year the weather here is the best in the country (IMO) And the rest of the time I don't find it that bad at all, it is milder here near the coast in winter and summer.

P.S. We have the most beautiful beaches in the world - or at least in Florida - hahaha but I am biased!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 AM

How far would it be to drive to Univ of South Florida's basketball games? I'm a basketball junkie and I'd like to be in driving distance to at least 1 division one college basketball program.

What I look for in a town is a place that has some local business, hipness, character, uniqueness, health food stores. I don't like places that are overly cookie cutter, sterile, car oriented, and big box store oriented. This I know is a hard thing to find in Florida! I think Key West would be cool but it is too small and remote for me. I like outdoor recreation and reading and doing stuff on my laptop at cafes. I would probably take swims in the ocean regularly in FL....something that weirdly enough is hard to do in San Diego because the ocean water is soooo cold!

I've also considered smaller college towns in the South like Athens GA...but I'm not sure it would work. Plus they are not as warm as I would like Dec-Feb.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
How far would it be to drive to Univ of South Florida's basketball games? I'm a basketball junkie and I'd like to be in driving distance to at least 1 division one college basketball program.

What I look for in a town is a place that has some local business, hipness, character, uniqueness, health food stores. I don't like places that are overly cookie cutter, sterile, car oriented, and big box store oriented. This I know is a hard thing to find in Florida! I think Key West would be cool but it is too small and remote for me. I like outdoor recreation and reading and doing stuff on my laptop at cafes. I would probably take swims in the ocean regularly in FL....something that weirdly enough is hard to do in San Diego because the ocean water is soooo cold!

I've also considered smaller college towns in the South like Athens GA...but I'm not sure it would work. Plus they are not as warm as I would like Dec-Feb.
Sarasota has everything you want. We got big box stores too, but they are on the big commercial highways and in the outskirts. You would like it around downtown, Southside Village, St. Armand's/Lido, Siesta, museum area and Indian Beach. Downtown has Whole Foods and all kinds of neat eateries, cafes, etc.

To USF it is probably one hour and fifteen minutes from downtown Sarasota, depending on traffic.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks gypsychic for the info!

Is USF the closest university to Sarasota with Division 1 college sports?

Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM

65 posts, read 295,872 times
hi ctr -
i am 39 female and i just moved to the area. i lllooovvveee it. have you been here? you need to visit and see if it clicks for you. there is plenty of cool hip interesting stuff going on in sarasota. if you are a beach person - it will rock your world!

another place that comes to mind for you is austin tx. another aweosme type of place.

good luck deciding- keep asking questions on this board - these people are so helpful and friendly.

do you want to rent, or buy? single home or condo??

Old 06-13-2009, 01:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:

What I look for in a town is a place that has some local business, hipness, character, uniqueness, health food stores. I don't like places that are overly cookie cutter, sterile, car oriented, and big box store oriented. This I know is a hard thing to find in Florida! I think Key West would be cool but it is too small and remote for me. I like outdoor recreation and reading and doing stuff on my laptop at cafés. I would probably take swims in the ocean regularly in FL....something that weirdly enough is hard to do in San Diego because the ocean water is soooo cold!

I'm in total agreement with Gyspychic! I think the downtown area would fit you nicely. I was born and raised in the area and I'm raising my three girls here. I couldn't think of a better place for the younger crowd. Incidentally I'm three years younger than you are. So, I still would consider myself part of the younger crowd

There are tons of eclectic cool stores and coffee shops downtown. Like Gypsy already pointed out there's Whole Foods and then there's the farmers market downtown on Saturdays. Then there's the Towles Court Artist Colony, The Selby Library, Selby Gardens, Marina Jack's. OK, can you tell I love the downtown area?

The homes are very unique and different. That's another thing I love about the downtown area. You're also close enough to Tampa that you could catch a concert or go to some of their museums.

My opinion is that it's the perfect spot

Old 06-13-2009, 02:14 PM

I would like to get a house over a condo. A older house with character, front porch, close to downtown sounds like what I'd be looking for based on on everyone's posts. I would imagine a house that is an easy walk to the beach would be in the stratosphere price-wise?

What does homeowners (hurricance) insurance run in Sarasota for the typical house? What are property taxes per year?

Anyone on this site have moved from Coastal Cal to Sarasota and can comment on how they like it?

I definatley need to make a trip...but I'll probably wait until November.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:41 PM

65 posts, read 295,872 times
Default hi

if you tell us more about your house - what you need/want- and what price range- people could help you much easier!

older home ok? there are many homes built in the 70's.

it is great here. i am so happy i moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area