Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:38 PM

209 posts, read 452,449 times

Advertisements

I just ordered a book from Amazon that was really informative to someone wanting to buy and move to Florida. I have never lived on the water, and thought about trying to broaden my knowledge. The book is titled:
LIVING ON THE EDGE OF THE GULF: The West Florida and Alabama Coast, By David Bush et al.

It covers topics on Weather (especially storm risk assessment); great maps with analysis of many or most of the barrier islands (from north to south). The analysis covers erosion and what man is doing successfully and unsuccessfully to prevent it.

After reading, it makes me re-think living full time on one of the barrier islands. If I could afford, I think I would still enjoy a second home or condo. However, since our resources are limited, and because we are thinking of relocating in a couple of years, I tend think living on mainland near a bay would still be great. I know location on water has tremendous impact on value, but something about this book makes me think harder about the site location.

Perhaps, when I visit again next week, I will see the beauty all over again, and throw all this practical stuff out the window as so many people do. I just know after reading the book, I will be looking at the location with a different perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:09 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Sounds like an interesting book. I can tell you at some point in my life I have lived on most of the barrier islands and never had any issues. They were some of the best times of my life. We stayed through all the hurricanes, flooding, winds, etc that came through and never evacuated. But I can also tell you that I usually lived in a home that was elevated off the ground. So we were pretty safe from flooding.

I've live on Little Gasparilla Island, which is only accessible by boat. Anna Maria, Bradenton Beach, Longboat key, Lido, Siesta. Never lived on Casey Key or Manasota.

I think I might check out the book though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 PM

384 posts, read 989,987 times
Excellent recommendation. I go back and forth on the issue of closeness to the water. It is a risk for sure - and it is merely a crap shoot who gets impacted and who does not. Just like Vegas.

Do let us know if you throw caution to the wind ....or not.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
I just ordered a book from Amazon that was really informative to someone wanting to buy and move to Florida. I have never lived on the water, and thought about trying to broaden my knowledge. The book is titled:
LIVING ON THE EDGE OF THE GULF: The West Florida and Alabama Coast, By David Bush et al.

It covers topics on Weather (especially storm risk assessment); great maps with analysis of many or most of the barrier islands (from north to south). The analysis covers erosion and what man is doing successfully and unsuccessfully to prevent it.

After reading, it makes me re-think living full time on one of the barrier islands. If I could afford, I think I would still enjoy a second home or condo. However, since our resources are limited, and because we are thinking of relocating in a couple of years, I tend think living on mainland near a bay would still be great. I know location on water has tremendous impact on value, but something about this book makes me think harder about the site location.

Perhaps, when I visit again next week, I will see the beauty all over again, and throw all this practical stuff out the window as so many people do. I just know after reading the book, I will be looking at the location with a different perspective.

Not a bad thought. I believe that some if not most of the barrier islands were created by a hurricane, although quite a long time ago. I was recently told, many old Floridians built there home on the main land near the bays, and not on the barrier Islands.

A friend of mine was looking for property on one of the virgin islands. He talked to a few realtors that took him out the see some beautiful new homes along the water (ocean front). He went to a local bar, and talked to a couple old-timers there. He explained he was looking for property and wanted to build a new house. One of the guys said did you look at all the ocean front property, and he said yeah, its kinda pricy but beautiful views, etc. . . . The old time asked him if he noticed anything. He said, "Yeah they are all beautiful new homes!" "Exactly" came the reply from the Old timer. "They are all new!" The hurricanes keep wiping them out, and they keep building bigger, better, more beautiful homes, and the hurricanes keep wiping them out. His advice was find a house with a great view but not right on the water. And, that is exactly what my friend did. A hurricane came through there this past year, and he had to bail a lot of water out, but his house was still in pretty good shape after it went through. Many of the newer homes - gone. Turks and Caicos Islands.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM

That is pretty much where I lean, BigHouse. SoFlGal, I admire that spirit. I think a lot of it depends on the environment we are brought up in. I think after being there a while, one would get a better feel for what kind of risks they want to take. Talking to the old-timers makes a lot of sense to me. The book was good,too. I'll bring it with me to FL and let you see and/or borrow it.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Yes, as a native I have long said that even if I had the money I would not want to live right on the beach. Frankly, I would not personally live on one of the barrier islands here. Where we live in our bayside neighborhood is good enough for me - I get to see the water everyday and enjoy the breezes without the price tag or biggest worries. Some homes here were built in the 1920's and have never seen major storm damage (this is Sarasota's first upscale neighborhood, some of the Ringlings used to live here)

I have seen Siesta Key underwater in just a bad storm let alone a hurricane. Of course I hope nothing ever happens to those beautiful islands, but they are definitely vulnerable.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, as a native I have long said that even if I had the money I would not want to live right on the beach. Frankly, I would not personally live on one of the barrier islands here. Where we live in our bayside neighborhood is good enough for me - I get to see the water everyday and enjoy the breezes without the price tag or biggest worries. Some homes here were built in the 1920's and have never seen major storm damage (this is Sarasota's first upscale neighborhood, some of the Ringlings used to live here)

I have seen Siesta Key underwater in just a bad storm let alone a hurricane. Of course I hope nothing ever happens to those beautiful islands, but they are definitely vulnerable.

222muchcoffee,
Sounds good, I plan on being down here for the most part from September through May next year. On and off, no set schedule till then.

Siesta Key underwater in a bad storm. I can believe that, we lived on a barrier island in Delaware/Ocean City MD, they get hit hard by Nor-Easters! The winds from the gulf, and salt air can do a lot of damage, and cause a lot of maintenance to keep the houses in good shape, even if there is no major storm.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM

Gulps -- Very convincing, Gypsychic! Not saying that I would never buy an old house on an island as an investment (foreclosure maybe). It would probably be an older small house, that I would not want to insure. By doing this, it probably puts me out of my price range anyways (because it would be all cash). Excuse my ramblings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area