U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 AM

19 posts, read 63,393 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get a good idea of how much monthly expenses will be when we relocate to the Venice/North Port area. We are currently living in upstate NY where I think the prices are pretty high but I could be in for an unpleasant surprise. I am wondering the following:

Electricity cost- 3 or 4 bedroom home w/ heated pool and jacuzzi (hey I can dream)

Gas Cost- probably included with electricty??

Cable Cost must have Fox News and Sci Fi channel for hubby

Internet Cost

Water Bill

Any information will be very helpful in figuring out our budget. Thanks!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 AM

4,850 posts, read 13,366,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen66 View Post
I am trying to get a good idea of how much monthly expenses will be when we relocate to the Venice/North Port area. We are currently living in upstate NY where I think the prices are pretty high but I could be in for an unpleasant surprise. I am wondering the following:

Electricity cost- 3 or 4 bedroom home w/ heated pool and jacuzzi (hey I can dream)

Your electric is pretty up in the air; it really depends on square footage & height of ceilings along with your temp setting. For example, my mom's house with 10 foot ceilings & 1,300 sq. feet w/temp set to 80 (she's always cold) was around $150 for the the bill that just came in. Add in costs for pool & it'll be higher as well.
Gas Cost- probably included with electricty??If you're using gas for cooking, showering, and possibly pool heat, you will not like your bill between November and March, and will need to watch how they "estimate" your bill. I used mine for just water & fireplace for a small apt. (less than 500 sq. feet & my bill was almost $200 for February. Turns out it was just "estimated" and real bill was $50.

Comcast can be a total rip off but for that tier you can expect between $50 and $80.

Internet Cost
If you use Comcast, they bundle this with internet so not sure about it but they were running some $99/mo (not including taxes) for six months to a year.

Water Bill
Really depends on what you use the water for, i.e. pools, lawns as well as inside usage.

Hope that helps. I remember when we used to get an electric bill back in 2000 for around $400/mo. with high ceilings & we even had the best insulation. My home was 4,200 sq. feet with three levels. I shudder to think of that bill now. Square footage plus temp is probably a good indicator....

Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,623,084 times
2000 s.f. under air (1 story) =$190/summer (set to 80 degrees) $110/winter.
We have a pool but don't choose to heat it. If it's that cold we're not in the mood for a swim :-)

Water $30/mo domestic. Irrigation is on well

We just installed solar hot water panel which should pay for itself in 3 years.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 AM

175 posts, read 512,072 times
For cable and internet, I just went through the process of investigating and installing. I ended up going with Verizon FIOS rather than Comcast, package includes very fast internet (25/15 upload/download speed) and HD Extreme tv package (lots of HD channels). People seemed happier with FIOS over Comcast. It was $110/mo in Sarasota. You can also get a package that includes land-line phone but I didn't need it.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:29 AM

33 posts, read 146,975 times
gretchen66,

I am also from upstate NY and can give you the lowdown as we now live in Venice with rental properly in North Port .

Electricity cost- 3 or 4 bedroom home w/ heated pool and jacuzzi (hey I can dream) You will find that your electric bill will be less than with NYSEG in NY. The price for KWH is cheaper hear in FL. You must remember that you must compare the size of your house to what you currently have thought.

Gas Cost- probably included with electricity?? With the price of gas I would personally would stray away from a home with gas as it is expensive no mater if your in NY or FL. Gasoline prices you will find a little cheaper though, by 10-12 cents per gallon.

Cable Cost must have Fox News and Sci Fi channel for hubby This is going to be the same as you are currently paying give or take a couple of bucks.

Internet Cost This will also be about the same as you are currently paying

Water Bill This is the big one you can expect to pay much more for your water and sewer here in Venice.... North Port is a little cheaper as far as the water bill gos, but still costs more than upstate NY.

Property Taxes on a home here in Venice you will find a little cheaper. Here in FL compared to NY. they have what they call homestead and you get a cheaper tax rate on you primary residents if you sign up for it.

The biggest savings will be with heating of your home in the winter months down here. It would cost me $2000-$3000 to heat our home per year in NY. Our homes are all electric and the average cost is $118 per month.
Make sure you have an up to date AC and heat pump less than 10 years old will save you money. Our homes size is 1700 sq feet under air.

So all in all you will find it little cheaper in FL not to mention there is no FL income tax.

Forgot to mention your home insurance will be more. You can expect to pay about double. Hurricanes have been known to come here ya know!

Bottom line is if you can make ends meet in NY you will have no problem in FL. Now if you are looking for a job make sure you don't move with out one secured here. If you are retired then you will love it here. You don't have to shovel sun shine. You better like the heat as this is the sub tropics and summer is here in full force now!

Old 03-09-2014, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,768 times
I plan to move to Holiday Park, North Port, Fl and would like if any one at Holiday Park can give me info on the approx. monthly water/sewer bill? Also the approx electric bill. (central a/c) Mobile home will be approx. 600-800 sq ft. Any info on what the HOA includes. Also any other information that would be helpful. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,707,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida granny View Post
I plan to move to Holiday Park, North Port, Fl and would like if any one at Holiday Park can give me info on the approx. monthly water/sewer bill? Also the approx electric bill. (central a/c) Mobile home will be approx. 600-800 sq ft. Any info on what the HOA includes. Also any other information that would be helpful. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
If you contact one of the management people at Holiday Park, they can probably give you a good idea. Or ask your Realtor to see if the owners of the home you are buying can give you an idea of what they are paying for utilities.

Here is the link for Holiday Park - Contact Information

Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM

2,400 posts, read 2,785,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen66 View Post

Gas Cost- probably included with electricty??

Internet Cost

Water Bill

I just posted this on another thread:
The property difference (lawn care) is NJ: 1.1 ac, Fl: .2 ac

//www.city-data.com/forum/33601458-post19.html

Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 AM

3,929 posts, read 5,780,291 times
Most homes in the area are all-electric, no gas cost unless you want a propane bottle for your pool heater.

Realistically, because of the lack of extremes, utility costs should be significantly less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area