Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
Can't wait to get mine down there this fall!!!
I cant wait either! Burning your gas is a lot cheaper than burning my gas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 02:28 PM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I'm leaving in about a half hour to go fill both tanks up... $400 OUCH ! I will need a little boat for harbor-hopping. Keep an eye out for an 18-22' center console under $5k

Old 06-25-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I'm leaving in about a half hour to go fill both tanks up... $400 OUCH ! I will need a little boat for harbor-hopping. Keep an eye out for an 18-22' center console under $5k

You ought to find a flats boat, one that has a shallow draft. I would check out with you neighbors how shallow your canal gets in the winter time. Ours is deep, but still it drops like 2 feet in the winter! Amazing.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,301 times
Quote:
Can't wait to get mine down there this fall!!!
Hey Jvelte, You could be my new best friend,let's see more pictures of the boat!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfishing View Post
I have a 17' 2007 Deep V Aluminum boat-SmokerCraft. Its not a salt water boat and wondering what will happen if I use it in brackish/sea water. I am also concerned that just living near the coast with the salt water air will also have an impact on it. I am currently trying to sell it up here in NY before my move, but we all know how hard it is to get rid of a boat. Once I get settled in the area and purchase a home, I would like to get an inshore/nearshore boat. I've also enclosed a picture of my boat. Any opinions? Thanks.
You should not have any problem with the boat in this area, you'll find that aluminum hulls are common on the rivers. You will have to deal with sun damage on the seats.
Wash off the salt, flush the engine, and cover the boat and your boat will hold up just fine.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 PM

128 posts, read 338,243 times
Thanks alot for all the information. It is very helpful. Looks like I'll be bringing it with me.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I have no comment about your gas

Old 06-27-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I have no comment about your gas

I think that you must be referring to the fact that I have my own cheap, efficient, and renewable supply of gas! Darn Pete you're not very subtle!

Old 06-27-2009, 03:55 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
My first post, and Boating is an area I know a bit about. I worked for an engine mfgr that had a test center in Placida for over 20 years. We specialized in things saltwater/corrosion & rust.
Think about your trailer as well. Is it painted steel? There are differences between fresh water and saltwater boats. Things like fasteners, even the staples in the upholstery will rust. Electrical systems use different connectors. Put a freshwater hull in salt water and you will start noticing little things deteriorating.
There will be no real difference in outboards. Some will rust / corrode in places others won't.
Flushing it out helps. Putting in an impeller every year is a good thing. Mostly to make sure things come apart in the future.
If you plan on doing a lot of boating and fishing I would suggest selling your boat where you are as there will be no market for it here and get the appropriate saltwater boat.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
My first post, and Boating is an area I know a bit about. I worked for an engine mfgr that had a test center in Placida for over 20 years. We specialized in things saltwater/corrosion & rust.
Think about your trailer as well. Is it painted steel? There are differences between fresh water and saltwater boats. Things like fasteners, even the staples in the upholstery will rust. Electrical systems use different connectors. Put a freshwater hull in salt water and you will start noticing little things deteriorating.
There will be no real difference in outboards. Some will rust / corrode in places others won't.
Flushing it out helps. Putting in an impeller every year is a good thing. Mostly to make sure things come apart in the future.
If you plan on doing a lot of boating and fishing I would suggest selling your boat where you are as there will be no market for it here and get the appropriate saltwater boat.
Hey Picshooter,
Welcome to the board. Good post! Do you live in the SWFL area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area