Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:18 AM

16 posts, read 33,348 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a married couple in their 40s. We live in Irvine, CA but tired of traffic, high cost of living and smog we are planning to move to some place in the west coast of Florida. Sarasota is our number 1 choice. We want to buy a house in cash, no banks anymore, and enjoy the sea every day. My brother lives in Miami but is too crowded down there. Any advise you want to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 AM

I forgot to tell you, our budget is between 250-300K. We would like to buy a house as close to the bay as possible. Year of construction is not an issue. We plan to buy a boat.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMEX View Post
Hi, we are a married couple in their 40s. We live in Irvine, CA but tired of traffic, high cost of living and smog we are planning to move to some place in the west coast of Florida. Sarasota is our number 1 choice. We want to buy a house in cash, no banks anymore, and enjoy the sea every day. My brother lives in Miami but is too crowded down there. Any advise you want to share?
You might be able to pick up something in Palmer Ranch. You didn't mention any kids. Southside Village by downtown Sarasota might be another option. Are schools a concern to you? Did you want to be in a gated community or is that not a concern? Do you have jobs that you need to be in a certain are of Sarasota?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Our daughter is 19 y.o. and is studying in Spain, so schools are not an issue. We will try to establish a business there, don´t know yet. We own a small company here in CA. How hard is to find a job there?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM

We don´t like gated communities.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Our daughter is 19 y.o. and is studying in Spain, so schools are not an issue. We will try to establish a business there, don´t know yet. We own a small company here in CA. How hard is to find a job there?
What's your profession? You'd probably have the most luck if you're in the health care profession. The unemployment rate is 10% right now. Just trying to keep it real.

If you don't like gated communities than Southside village might appeal to you.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:37 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Job market here is extremely tight right now, can't stress that enough.

As far as neighborhoods in your price range, close to the bay I will recommend ours - we live in Whitfield Estates, on the bay side. We are just a couple blocks from the bay, and there is a community marina here. There are also a few streets from which you can launch a kayak. This is an old neighborhood with a lot of character and only a voluntary HOA. The only downside is that the airport is nearby, but honestly there are very few planes, and I almost never even notice them, they don't seem to bother anyone here.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 PM

The airport is not a problem, I´m a airplane nut. Marina nearby , yesssss. Where is it? I´m trying to locate it in google maps but it doesn´t appear. We love old neighborhoods, they have more character and charm.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
The airport is not a problem, I´m a airplane nut. Marina nearby , yesssss. Where is it? I´m trying to locate it in google maps but it doesn´t appear. We love old neighborhoods, they have more character and charm.
Try this link:

Whitfield Estates -- TerraFly Point-Data - Info/Maps/Images of a Location

We love it here - my hubby is an airplane nut, also. This neighborhood has a LOT of history- it was actually Sarasota's first "upscale" neighborhood, and over time many celebrities and prominent people lived here (some of the Ringling family, golf celebrities) and more recently members of the Allman Brothers band. There are homes built from every decade from the 1920's. The airport is what keeps it affordable. There are at least a couple of homes here under 300,000 right now, but they do tend to go kind of quick. If you like old neighborhoods with character, you will love this one, we have large lots, broad streets, sidewalks, the bay, a vintage golf course and vacant land owned by the airport that the community uses for walking dogs, etc.
If I can answer any other questions, I'll be happy to do so!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:24 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,420 times
Just another thought to keep you busy , Gypsychic gave a great suggestion and made me think of the Coral Cove area as well. SOFLGAL, what are the prices like in there now? I know there are homes with direct bay access, but there are others in the neighborhood across the street from the bay. There is a nice community boat ramp in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area