Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 AM

209 posts, read 452,508 times

Advertisements

I have been veiwing some listings around Sarasota area, and read in some of the MLS comments that some of the house have been "re-piped". Why is this necessary for a house that is not very old (8-10 years)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,084,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
I have been veiwing some listings around Sarasota area, and read in some of the MLS comments that some of the house have been "re-piped". Why is this necessary for a house that is not very old (8-10 years)?
As usual this can be caused for a number of reasons. 8-10 years ago, a lot of copper was being recycled, and it there was definitely a some bad runs while they established decent standards with the amount of impurities that could be used. Thus a lot of houses that had copper piping that was used during that learning curve have failed and had to be re-piped. Also during that period they started using more an more polybutelene type water piping, and pvc piping and both of those products had problems associated with them as well. They now have refined the composition of the meterials used to make them both more chemical resistant and UV resistant, and thus the life expectancy has increased significantly.

Re-piping in some areas can be very challenging and difficult and expensive. In other areas we it can be less of an issue to re-pipe. In SWFL as an example, the water lines in many cases are brought up above grade, and not 3'-0" deep under the footing, and then enter the house. So expensive slab removal is not always necessary. A lot of times now with the re-piping systems used, they bring the service line to a manifold (or a connection block) that the laterals can be run to each fixture of your house, with flexible tubing that can be fished like electrical wiring, and can be run in the attic of your house and fished down into the walls to the fixtures so minimal cutting and patching is necessary. There are not a lot of fittings, 90 degree angles, 45 degree angles and such so the cost for the connections is less labor intensive. The connection process is also quicker. So the labor to install the work, and the cutting and patching is significantly minimized in a warm climate like SWFL.

If they do run the piping in the attic as described, it is best to have them well covered by insulation, so that the water does not get too warm. It really tends to do that here, since it gets so warm. It is the inverse of what you would want to do in the North. Often you would run the waterline under the slab in the gravel, and turn it up in the wall to the fittings, but normally you want to get it up and out of the slab quickly. Many engineers require a much better grade of copper if it is used underground, but often because of cost, it is "value engineered" out.

Also in different areas of the country the properties of the water (mineral content -H2O is H2O after all) varies significantly, sulfur, chlorine, and other treatment chemicals and naturally occurring materials are going to be found in the water, not especially if you are on well water, but with well water you water quality is going to be less consistent than jurisdictionally treated water (some better some less so). Anyway these impurities and additives all put pressure on the piping systems they travel through in different ways. So thus, as I originally noted the reasons vary, and although I mentioned one method of re-piping, the fixes can vary significantly as well. Sometimes a total re-pipe is not needed, but usually if your system has been "under attack", it usually is symptomactic of the whole system.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the great info, BH. I figured this one was right down your alley!

So, if one buys a house in an area and the subject property has NOT been re-piped, but SOME of the other homes in the subdivision have been, do you tend to just wait for a leak? I am looking hard at rivendell and palmer ranch,fyi.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,084,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
Thanks for the great info, BH. I figured this one was right down your alley!

So, if one buys a house in an area and the subject property has NOT been re-piped, but SOME of the other homes in the subdivision have been, do you tend to just wait for a leak? I am looking hard at rivendell and palmer ranch,fyi.

Generally, my reply is "if it aint broke, don't fix it." I would ask some questions first. Was it the same builder? If it was, and it was built at the same time, then the subcontractor, materials, and workmanship are going to be the same - normally. I would ask some of the people that have had to repipe their house, what they did, who did it, and how much did it cost them. I think the prices to re-pipe now are better since so many people are hurting for work.

I think those are nice areas. I haven't had the occasion to drive through there, but next time I pass by, I may pull over and do just that.

Since you asked about that, and the mold in another thread, I would suggest a couple things. When you leave - prepare a good "close down the house check list." I prepared one, and pull it out every time I shut the house down.

This list is not in order. I put check boxes next to each thing and print this sheet out so I have extras. Leave it out, so the person coming back can use it to open the house up.

Here are some of the things I do:
1. Clean the house, sweep and mop, empty all half open cracker boxes, and things like that - don't wanta feed the critters while your away.
2. Empty the trash and take it to the street, if possible.
3. Shut off all the unncessary circuit breakers, (but leave the refrigerator on). Turn off all ceiling fans. Unplug the coffee pot.
4. Unplug all the tvs and stereo equipment from incoming electric and cable, incase a major storm comes through while your away.
5. Shut off the water service. (you don't need it while your away, and if you have a problem you could have a big problem when you get back).
6. Set the thermostat and humidistat (I posted a lot of information about this on another thread).
7. Bring in all outside furniture. Bring in the outside lania curtains.
8. Pack everything (and pack stuff for the dog - if you have one).
9. Lock all the doors.
10. Water the plants (we have our pool guy and lawn care guy water them when we're away so make sure that they know you'll be away).
11. Turn off the outside disconnects to the pool heater, and the boat lift.
12. Secure and tie down the boat at the boat lift.

I hope this helps. Maybe others have other suggestions too.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:31 AM

I agree with the 'ain't broke' philosphy, too. Thanks for the list. We want to live full-time in FL, but there still will be times when we are traveling we can certainly use this list. In our current home in TX, when it's practical, I like to find someone we know to house-sit when we are gone a week or two. I just feel better knowing they are there, if trouble happens. It's not always easy to find that person though. Gracias!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:45 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,583 times
Used to live in Rivendell a great area
Houses built 1998 -2000 seem to have been fitted with copper pipes which are corroding
I would re pipe overhead in upvc

Old 07-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks Peter -- tell me, I meant to check out the state park, but didn't have time. I understand that you have free access too the park from Rivendell. I was wondering how far the spring-fed swimming hole is from Rivendell? Once you reach the swimming area is there a charge? I thought it might be a good routine to ride a bike and then do laps in the springs.

Also, I talked to a guy who worked for a builder today in that area and he estimated $10k to re-pipe. Does this sound about right?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Never saw any re-piping references on the Atlantic side of Florida.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:47 PM

325 posts, read 1,023,989 times
Re-piping depending on the size should run up to $8,000.00 for a 1500-2000 sq. ft. home. One of my customers just had there home re-piped.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Gracias, Kbuild!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area