Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 PM

65 posts, read 295,886 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Just wanted to post a warning to renters and future renters. (in general this probably only applies to renting single family home, or a condo. normal large apartment complexes are usually just fine.)

this happened to me- and it has not been fun. it is actually VERY common unfortunately nowadays in Florida. here's how it goes--

innocent person needs to rent a place in sarasota (or florida or wherever).

person finds a place to rent (thru craigslist, other online, newspaper, etc)

person signs rental contract and then moves in.

person pays rent on time. everything seems great.

person suddenly finds out the home they are renting- is now- or -has been and still is- in foreclosure. meaning that there is a possibility that bank will take over home and give person (tenant) a short notice to move out of the home or condo.

in a worst case scenario- the only notice you get is a yellow sticker placed on front door- giving you 24 hr notice to get you and all of your belongings out. 24 hours later sheriff comes and changes locks on doors. better case scenario is that you find out about the foreclosure early enough that you have some time to find a new place to live and move out.

one other minor problem that will most likely happen- landlord will not return your security deposit.

its a terrible thing to have to go thru. and it happens A LOT.

to protect yourself- before you sign a rental lease- do these things. look up the website of county of home/condo you want to rent. for example sarasota county government website. read the info about how to avoid this crappy situation. you have to verify that the owner of the home really IS the owner of that particular home. (do a search on county appraiser's site. Second- do a search to see if home is in foreclosure- use the county clerk's website. the legal term for start of forclosure is "lis pendens". the website will ask you what kind of document you are searching for- chose lis pendens.

if all looks ok- rent the place. one additional thing you can do to protect yourself-- write up and print out 2 copies of- a paper that states the landlord is fully paid up to date on all mortgage payments, and the home is not in forclosure. make Landlord sign and date it before you sign the lease.they get one copy to keep and you get one copy to keep. if they do not want to sign it-- walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so beware- and protect yourself!!!!!

i wish i had known all this before i rented. my situation is terrible.

good luck to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 PM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
Thank you for the warning. Sorry about your situation.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM

62 posts, read 194,853 times
Great information. This is the main reason we are in a rental community right now.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on-up! View Post
Hi all. Just wanted to post a warning to renters and future renters. (in general this probably only applies to renting single family home, or a condo. normal large apartment complexes are usually just fine.)
moving-on-up!,

I wanted to follow up with you on a couple things.

You posted something about this earlier.
Do did you lose your security deposit. You were going to talk to the lawyer. I recommended that you not pay the next months rent, until you learned more. Evidently, that didn't matter because there wasn't enough time for you. . . Is that correct?

If you spoke to a lawyer, what other advice did they give you?

If they evict you, they will move your stuff to the street, and scavengers will come by and steal it.

You just got a new job, how is that going?

Don't wanta pry, but fill me in if you have a chance.

- Thanks,

Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 PM

hi everyone!
i hope my posts help some people avoid a bad situation. its really awful, obviously. i have seen this on the news- but i didnt think it would happen to me. be careful everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bighouse- thanks for asking about me! yes i have been working with my lawyer on this mess. he is helping me, and hopefully it will all end up with me not having "lost" my sec deposit. I dont think i can get evicted yet- so i am hoping things will work out. I dont really want to get into the personal details on a public board. I cant wait to put all this utter BS behind me!

I have started drinking more beer to help me calm down!!!

I thought i had moved to paradise- but this has sure put a damper on that happy "I love Florida" feeling. I will rebound though!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
hi everyone!
i hope my posts help some people avoid a bad situation. its really awful, obviously. i have seen this on the news- but i didnt think it would happen to me. be careful everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bighouse- thanks for asking about me! yes i have been working with my lawyer on this mess. he is helping me, and hopefully it will all end up with me not having "lost" my sec deposit. I dont think i can get evicted yet- so i am hoping things will work out. I dont really want to get into the personal details on a public board. I cant wait to put all this utter BS behind me!

I have started drinking more beer to help me calm down!!!

I thought i had moved to paradise- but this has sure put a damper on that happy "I love Florida" feeling. I will rebound though!
Thank, your posts are surely going to be helpful to someone. You were planning on renting (which you did), and were considering buying a house. Are you still on track for that, or do you still want to get your bearings more with regard to where to finally settle down.

You got a job pretty quickly. I was wondering what firm you ended up working for in PG. With getting a job so quickly did you have much time to get to the beaches and check out all the fun stuff that Florida has to offer?

This weekend I took the wife and kids on a kayak trip up the Peace River into the canal / islands up in Deep Creek. It was a really fun, and not expensive trip. We had a guide, so we didn't get lost. You can travel through a huge maze of naturally made canals.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM

325 posts, read 1,023,749 times
I had a similiar situation happen to me and my family. We lived in Nort Port Estates. We were renting from a local reputable Rental Company ( Thank God for that). We recieved a Notice from are leasing Agent that the homeowner was going to leave property to the Bank. So, are Rental Company gave us ample time to rent another property through them. Then to find out the owner of the home was letting go of more properties and so he moved in the property that we were renting. But, it all worked out. BECAREFUL OF CRAIGSLIST FOR RENTAL PROPERTIES, HIRING PEOPLE FOR SKILLED LABOR. Craigslists individuals who post are desperate. ALSO USE A REPUTABLE LEASING OR RENTAL COMPANY.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:56 PM

475 posts, read 900,184 times
Hi Big House I am in Mi hoping to come down in 1-6 years depending on a possible early retire. About the canal trip, any concerns about gators or snakes that fall from the trees? That's the first thing my daughter will ask!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM

hi everyone! I really do hope my original post helps some people. this is a very common problem happening.

big house- about your questions to me- someday if this whole gang gets together for a meetup - I will tell you then what all happened. I was here in Florida for a few months before I started posting on this awesome site. so things didnt happen as fast as it appears. when i first came here (gulf coast florida area) i spent alot of time deciding where i want to live and put down roots. hard to decide between sarasota and venice. about the job- i think you are confusing me with another poster. hey- sounds like your kayak trip was really neat!

kbuild- so it happened to you, too!? i'm sorry. that is good advice you gave- about using a reputable leasing or rental company. my fiasco happened thru craigslist.

hi keithhtt- if you come down here for early retire- be very careful if you want to rent. buy maybe you are going to buy? about the gator snake question- it would be better if you started a brand new thread for that topic.- you will get more answers- and it won't distract people who are reading this thread with this important warning to renters. thanks. hope you enjoy it down here when you get here!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 AM

325 posts, read 1,023,749 times
Quote:
hi everyone! I really do hope my original post helps some people. this is a very common problem happening.

big house- about your questions to me- someday if this whole gang gets together for a meetup - I will tell you then what all happened. I was here in Florida for a few months before I started posting on this awesome site. so things didnt happen as fast as it appears. when i first came here (gulf coast florida area) i spent alot of time deciding where i want to live and put down roots. hard to decide between sarasota and venice. about the job- i think you are confusing me with another poster. hey- sounds like your kayak trip was really neat!

kbuild- so it happened to you, too!? i'm sorry. that is good advice you gave- about using a reputable leasing or rental company. my fiasco happened thru craigslist.

hi keithhtt- if you come down here for early retire- be very careful if you want to rent. buy maybe you are going to buy? about the gator snake question- it would be better if you started a brand new thread for that topic.- you will get more answers- and it won't distract people who are reading this thread with this important warning to renters. thanks. hope you enjoy it down here when you get here!
It could have been alot worse, Thank God for are leasing company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area