Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:40 PM

55 posts, read 133,159 times

Advertisements

This is in reference to an older thread that can't be edited, we just wanted to share with everyone the Police information (http://www.sarasotagov.com/Police/LMO_PAGE.htm - broken link) page and and a news interview with the Police Chief concerning the city's new impound ordinance. On the Police website there is a great sponsored PSA Ad that really hits home, have you seen it on your local television station yet?

Last edited by Earthwriter; 07-20-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I love it! (Wish I could afford Sarasota.) Should I assume this is only in Sarasota and not Sarasota County?

The reason I'm asking is that I lived in Lee County for 15 years and on Sanibel, the police were very responsive to noise disturbance complaints. However, the Lee County Sheriff's department did nothing when I lived in Bonita Springs.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Yes it's great, to answer your question to the best of our knowledge it's only in the City Of Sarasota, so far we have yet to find one county in the entire U.S. that has enacted a similar ordinance you can find links on Noise Free America on the issue and where the laws are Noise Free America - Boom Cars
Interesting you should mention Sanibel and Lee County, back in 2003 before we ran away from S. Florida due to drug users and boom cars being rampant, for almost 9 hellish months we lived in unincorporated Lee County near FT. Myers Beach on the southern part of the county, it was a nightmare, day and night boom cars on Mcgregor Blvd. But as soon as we crossed the bridge into Sanibel nary a boom. We lived about 500 feet away in a Mobile home, we complained, (wife even cried)to the Lee County S.O. and they did little to nothing about the problem. We finally had enough and filled up a Uhaul trailer and our motorhome and went down to the keys, only to find the problem was just as bad down there! Don't you think those of us who have been forced to live and move because of this scourge, (this video says it so well)should have some kind of legal recourse and be entitled to some kind of compensation by these negligent counties? How is it that a state can pass a 25 foot law that is statewide, and enforcement to protect the public health and safety is no where to be found? True story I once spoke with a Miami Dade Officer who told me that
he and his partner were one day boomed from a vehicle several car lengths so badly that they couldn't here their radio calls, he went up to the driver and told him "Turn your stereo down or I will arrest you for interfering with law enforcement" True story! We need more no bull cops like that in America!

Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Thanx for the video...you may be referring to a similar thread that I started. I may be wrong???????

Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM

131 posts, read 420,181 times
Interesting video... I'll remember to turn my music down when driving through!

I don't think I'll be an issue though, I have an idea what it is intended for. Mostly people with big boxes in their trunk playing more bass than actual volume.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwriter View Post
for almost 9 hellish months we lived in unincorporated Lee County near FT. Myers Beach on the southern part of the county, it was a nightmare, day and night
I like to turn up the volume when a song like Freebird comes on the radio, but I can't imagine sitting in a car in which the music is so loud it disturbs other people.

The noise problem that has been the worst nightmare for me has been barking dogs. I love animals and hate it when people tie them up in the yard 24/7 (why get a pet?) However, I go clear out of my mind when I'm continually awoken in the middle of the night by barking. I finally packed up and moved to a temporary rental. After selling my stuff and packing my car, I saw a UHaul in my neighbor's driveway. They were evicted! Talk about bad timing. That's why I should probably stop buying lottery tickets.

Sorry you had the problem in FMB. Last time I was there, I was trying to have a conversation while enjoying an ice cream cone, but the deafening noise of motorcycles revving up almost perforated my eardrums.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 AM

62 posts, read 194,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I like to turn up the volume when a song like Freebird comes on the radio, but I can't imagine sitting in a car in which the music is so loud it disturbs other people.

The noise problem that has been the worst nightmare for me has been barking dogs. I love animals and hate it when people tie them up in the yard 24/7 (why get a pet?) However, I go clear out of my mind when I'm continually awoken in the middle of the night by barking. I finally packed up and moved to a temporary rental. After selling my stuff and packing my car, I saw a UHaul in my neighbor's driveway. They were evicted! Talk about bad timing. That's why I should probably stop buying lottery tickets.

Sorry you had the problem in FMB. Last time I was there, I was trying to have a conversation while enjoying an ice cream cone, but the deafening noise of motorcycles revving up almost perforated my eardrums.
We had a lot of problems with barking dogs in Georgia quite a while back. We purchased a white noise machine and use it at night, even take it on vacation with us. It's pretty good at blocking out most noise.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am so lucky - I too hate barking dogs, our neighborhood is FILLED with dogs but they all seem to be well-behaved - I rarely hear any on-going barking.

And even though we are technically in Southern Manatee county (with a Sarasota address) we don't have problems with the boom boxes either. We live right by the airport and 41 and really very few noise issues at all! Thank goodness!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Actually I think we started it some months ago

Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM

That's exactly right, it's a 125 foot law that mostly concerns Pile Driving systems that are completely obscene!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area