Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM

14 posts, read 62,024 times

Advertisements

....here is my situation, I recently purchased a condo and the docs that were sent to me not only did not have any restrictions on rental max or min time to rent your unit, but the FAQ specifically stated that there was no max or min on renting your unit. Now I am being told that there is a restriction....if its not in the docs is it valid? Thanks for any input ....totally frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzzcrew View Post
....here is my situation, I recently purchased a condo and the docs that were sent to me not only did not have any restrictions on rental max or min time to rent your unit, but the FAQ specifically stated that there was no max or min on renting your unit. Now I am being told that there is a restriction....if its not in the docs is it valid? Thanks for any input ....totally frustrated.
Check your "renter rules & regulations". There should be record somewhere if it's not in the condo documents. Call your rules & regulations chairperson, they should be able to explain it all to you.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
Your documents are the law, not rules and regulations. The BOD cannot pass restrictions that take away or limit ownership rights. But yes they try to do it.
If you were given the wrong documents, or incomplete that's another can of worms.

If you have read all your docs then you should go ahead and rent.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Your documents are the law, not rules and regulations. The BOD cannot pass restrictions that take away or limit ownership rights. But yes they try to do it.
If you were given the wrong documents, or incomplete that's another can of worms.

If you have read all your docs then you should go ahead and rent.
The rules and regulations are voted on by Board members. In your condo documents it should state rental procedures, i.e. you can rent your unit x number of times per year, whether there is a fee due upon each rental, occupancy control, etc....

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
If you hold a mortgage on the property, there may be language in the agreement with your lender about whether you can rent your condo or not as well. I know a lot of mortgage documents have language in them about that.

I agree though that if the documents you have do not have any limits or other disclaimers you should not be limited by the HOA. However, if you read them carefully you may find that the HOA has been given powers that allow them to make those kinds of decisions, by reference to their by-laws, rules, regulations, etc.... that are in your documents, without being totally spelled out. If they are included by reference as binding, then they apply just as much as if spelled out in full. - Not being a downer, just giving you something you may want to check before you spend the $$ on an attorney.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 62,024 times
Thank you to all of the great responses. I am hoping that this can be worked out with the board and a fair outcome for all. There is language in the by laws that states that the board can make rules....so theirs the rub. : ( I still love the condo but would love it more if we could get it rented a few months during the winter.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Thank you to all of the great responses. I am hoping that this can be worked out with the board and a fair outcome for all. There is language in the by laws that states that the board can make rules....so theirs the rub. : ( I still love the condo but would love it more if we could get it rented a few months during the winter.
If you have good tenants, and things are going well, then you can expect that they will probably be cooperative with you. They don't want to cause problems for their neighbors, its in their interest to have the homes occupied by good neighbors, and not look like it is having foreclosure problems.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
the HOA has more power than a bank/lender's mortgage rules
the HOA owns property in common--the bank just sells you a mortgage to buy the INTERIOR of the condo...
you should have read the HOA rules that govern condo owners do's and don't's before actually offering for the condo---the HOA also has the right to raise your monthly assessment and extract special payments for items that are beyond normal maintenance--like having to resurface the parking lot of the bldg or the pool those would cause your mortgage payment to go up if you pay HOA dues in the mortgage note or your monthly HOA fees to go up

our daughter/sil own condo in Venice--had to pay assessment when their condo bldg needed to be re-plumbed several years ago...it cost them like 2K or 3K extra and they had a smaller unit--people with two baths paid more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area