U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 47,518 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to figure out if i can afford to live in Sarasota. I am an RN and make a decent living where i live now. But, i want to move to Florida, possibly LWR or somewhere off University. And i know i will be taking a huge pay hit.
I've compiled my own list of home expenses. Can you all help me add to the list? Are the monthly costs below pretty good estimates (if you live there). What do you pay (if you don't mind me asking?)

HOA 250? (may or may not include lawn care, irrigation, pruning, external pest control? cable)
electricity ac/heat,heating pool, etc $300
Home insurance $200
Water $150 (pool, irrigation)
Pest control $50
cable,internet? $100?
pool care $60
So right off the bat: $1,100 before even adding in mortgage,correct?

What do you all think ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM

79 posts, read 294,253 times
Our car insurance went down after we moved here. On the other hand (OTOH), food seems to be higher here.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:21 PM

547 posts, read 829,411 times
We live by the adage that we could either make more money or spend less. If the expenses(lifestyle) you list are your needs then you have a pretty good start. Comcast cable has a $99 deal for phone, 'net & cable. Don't forget auto repairs & gas. And there is always a bunch of unplanned expense.
Personally unless I had a job offer that positively afforded me that lifestyle, I would start a little slower.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM

4,847 posts, read 13,258,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikomoul View Post
I've been trying to figure out if i can afford to live in Sarasota. I am an RN and make a decent living where i live now. But, i want to move to Florida, possibly LWR or somewhere off University. And i know i will be taking a huge pay hit.
I've compiled my own list of home expenses. Can you all help me add to the list? Are the monthly costs below pretty good estimates (if you live there). What do you pay (if you don't mind me asking?)

HOA 250? (may or may not include lawn care, irrigation, pruning, external pest control? cable)
electricity ac/heat,heating pool, etc $300
Home insurance $200
Water $150 (pool, irrigation)
Pest control $50
cable,internet? $100?
pool care $60
So right off the bat: $1,100 before even adding in mortgage,correct?

What do you all think ?
HOA could be way more....as could insurance...but you're in the ballpark...minus mortgage...

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 AM

175 posts, read 508,464 times
You can control some of these things depending on exactly where you choose to live and what type of house you buy (e.g., lower or higher HOAs and insurance) but yes, this is in the ballpark.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Is pest control even necessary? We just moved from Houston. A lot of people there used pest services but many did not. I just put out Spectricide around the perimeter of the house every few months and that seemed to work just fine ($15 for 3 months).

HOA in the multi-hundred dollar range per month likely include all exterior maintenance. We've been looking at nice houses ($400K range) where the HOA may be $600-$1000 annually.

I was very concerned about costs here before our move but it hasn't been as bad as I expected. Even homeowners insurance is pretty reasonable if it's a newer house built to the latest building codes.

Cable and internet should be pretty much the same everywhere.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
Is pest control even necessary? We just moved from Houston. A lot of people there used pest services but many did not. I just put out Spectricide around the perimeter of the house every few months and that seemed to work just fine ($15 for 3 months).

HOA in the multi-hundred dollar range per month likely include all exterior maintenance. We've been looking at nice houses ($400K range) where the HOA may be $600-$1000 annually.

I was very concerned about costs here before our move but it hasn't been as bad as I expected. Even homeowners insurance is pretty reasonable if it's a newer house built to the latest building codes.

Cable and internet should be pretty much the same everywhere.
IMO, yes, you should have pest control, but again, depends on how many roaches you encounter, sometimes...

To me, HOA's are total rip off here. When we built our house on AMI in N. Point Harbor, they wanted $700/qtr. for lawn maintenance & community pool upkeep. $2,500 a year for grass we didn't have & it did not include palm tree upkeep. We eventually got out of it & everyone else started to b*tch as well & the HOA lawn contract was dropped.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 AM

The huge roaches ("palmetto bugs") tend to live in outside in trees, mulch, the ground, etc, and don't so much infest residences like those smaller ones do (are those the German cockroaches?). I found that controlling them outside with bug granules was highly effective. If I ever had those smaller ones, yes, I'd get a service in a hurry.

I remember going to a July 4th festival in Birmingham, AL once and sitting on the lawn. It was nice when the sun was up. After sundown and the fireworks were over and everyone was leaving I could see the place was now crawling in those huge cockroaches! Hardly ever saw one of those big ones indoors there though.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
The huge roaches ("palmetto bugs") tend to live in outside in trees, mulch, the ground, etc, and don't so much infest residences like those smaller ones do (are those the German cockroaches?). I found that controlling them outside with bug granules was highly effective. If I ever had those smaller ones, yes, I'd get a service in a hurry.

I remember going to a July 4th festival in Birmingham, AL once and sitting on the lawn. It was nice when the sun was up. After sundown and the fireworks were over and everyone was leaving I could see the place was now crawling in those huge cockroaches! Hardly ever saw one of those big ones indoors there though.
Roaches can become quite compact actually and come right in through your sliding glass doors, never underestimate the power of the roach.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM

That's the point. If the cockroaches are coming in from outside, then the approach should be to take care of them outside, not spraying inside. Spectricide outside as per directions seemed to do just as well as a monthly Orkin man. Even for ants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area