Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,820,050 times

Advertisements

Speaking of roofing,lol (not), todays mail brought "what fresh hell is this" news, our HO insurance went up 50% when we were expecting a reduction due to new roof with upgraded reinforcement.

A call to our insurer told me that the roofer filed a new mitigation report that was wrong in multiple ways including saying we didn't have hurricane shutters when we DO on every opening. Comparing the original wind mitigation report with the "new" one showed that he had so many errors that the insurance company increased our policy premium 50%. Grrrrr. Incompetence extraordinaire.

2 hours of my life sucked away dealing with it. I will however give high praise to Kim at the Key Agency in Northport. She is more on the ball than any agent dealt with in 30 years.

If I was a drinkin person I'd be sauced by now. Gonna go pull some weeds in the garden instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,808,040 times
well dealing in RE all the time I find a few people that do varioius services that don't perform to a desired standard so they end up loosing lots of business. For the most part they are good and I repeat business with the best.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:05 PM

260 posts, read 906,145 times
I recently had a drain that was plugged and it only needed a snake run through it so my lawn man who I've known for over 5 years said he had a friend who was going to plumbing school who would do it cheaper than a plumber. I talked to the guy and told him I would call him back and let him know my schedule. I put his name in at the court website and found he was over 50 (in plumbing school) up came over 15 years of drinking, drugs and every kind of theft possible. The most recent charge (larceny) was a few weeks before I called him. No gun or violent charges so he was a safer crook I guess. I told my lawn guy and he had no idea he had such a past. That was my 4th and final attempt to use a handy man type at my home, I call professionals now. You can learn a lot about people you may want to hire online at the clerk of court.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,626,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
I recently had a drain that was plugged and it only needed a snake run through it so my lawn man who I've known for over 5 years said he had a friend who was going to plumbing school who would do it cheaper than a plumber. I talked to the guy and told him I would call him back and let him know my schedule. I put his name in at the court website and found he was over 50 (in plumbing school) up came over 15 years of drinking, drugs and every kind of theft possible. The most recent charge (larceny) was a few weeks before I called him. No gun or violent charges so he was a safer crook I guess. I told my lawn guy and he had no idea he had such a past. That was my 4th and final attempt to use a handy man type at my home, I call professionals now. You can learn a lot about people you may want to hire online at the clerk of court.
Thank you for the tip a bout checking out the clerk of court's website for potential issues. I've checked the registered sex offender site, but not the clerk of court.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM

398 posts, read 725,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on-up! View Post
hi nancy- eew gross! LOL-but seriously- have you lived in other states and then florida and had similar impression to mine? are you still in florida, and will you stay here? why are there so many "slimy" types here?

((by the way - the people here on this board are GREAT, and i mean no disrespect to any of them- as transplanted florida residents, and florida natives.))
I am in Florida and wnat to move ASAP for that and many other reasons. Florida IS NOT paradise.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,829,734 times
Quote:
hi nancy- eew gross! LOL-but seriously- have you lived in other states and then florida and had similar impression to mine? are you still in florida, and will you stay here? why are there so many "slimy" types here?

((by the way - the people here on this board are GREAT, and i mean no disrespect to any of them- as transplanted florida residents, and florida natives.))
Only joking, although that expression about buying swamp land in Florida has always had some truth to it. If I tell you how people have taken advantage of my trusting nature (not just in FL) you'll think I'm a dumb blonde, but it happens all over the country.

I'm an old broad, so I've learned in life you need to remember 2 words ... caveat emtor. Always do your homework and don't be afraid of offending people by checking them out and asking a lot of questions. Bernie Madoff lived in New York. There are unscrupulous people everywhere. Keep in mind that Florida has about 18.3 million people. If only 1/2 of 1% were scumbags, that would still be 90,000.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 PM

65 posts, read 295,033 times
thanks everyone for the posts.

i had ANOTHER bad experience today. this was pretty bad. i had an appt for estimate for replacement windows. i got the name of company from the local chamber of commerce- and they said this was a good company. the "estimator" shows up and does the most high pressure sales pitch i have ever seen for hours on end. the quote was $22,000 for 11 normal sized vinyl windows. i kept telling him that it was to expensive, and that i was NOT going to sign any contract today. he kept lowering prices, and doing rebates, etc. i kept trying to get him to leave, but he would notleave my house! i was like a hostage in my own home. for 3 and a half hours. and he was shouting the whole time. i should have called the police. this guy was not leaving without me signing the sales contract. after i said about 10 times "No!!!!!" he finally gave up and left.

i can not believe how crappy everyone is these days. and i really really wish we could swear on this board. i have some choice words about now.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:39 AM

325 posts, read 1,018,755 times
Quote:
thanks everyone for the posts.

i had ANOTHER bad experience today. this was pretty bad. i had an appt for estimate for replacement windows. i got the name of company from the local chamber of commerce- and they said this was a good company. the "estimator" shows up and does the most high pressure sales pitch i have ever seen for hours on end. the quote was $22,000 for 11 normal sized vinyl windows. i kept telling him that it was to expensive, and that i was NOT going to sign any contract today. he kept lowering prices, and doing rebates, etc. i kept trying to get him to leave, but he would notleave my house! i was like a hostage in my own home. for 3 and a half hours. and he was shouting the whole time. i should have called the police. this guy was not leaving without me signing the sales contract. after i said about 10 times "No!!!!!" he finally gave up and left.

i can not believe how crappy everyone is these days. and i really really wish we could swear on this board. i have some choice words about now.
That is the MO of window replacement companies with commision based salespeople. I am a Licensed General Contractor in North Port and do all types of remodeling. If I were looking to have windows installed I would deal with small "Mom and Pop" operations. Why? because right now the larger companies still have a overhead and a commision based salesman, like you dealt with ( they are hungry and are going to be high pressured). Small companies HO's can deal directly with the owner/contractor. When I leave the estimate I give customer's information not pressure. Because most of the time any remodeling or home remodeling project is alot of money. Most Individuals are not going to sign on the dotted line at that moment. Now on the beahlf of the company that came out, what kind of windows were they?
  • Wind Impact?
  • LOW E - Argon filled?
  • Any sliding doors?
  • Single Hung, Casements?
  • Vinyl, Aluminum frame?
If any one is looking to do any Home Improvents please PM and I can steer you in the right direction when it comes to local companies in Sarasota, North Port and Venice

Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM

17 posts, read 45,786 times
My wife and I are not full time residents yet. We do own a home and spent a couple of months there last winter (plan on moving there full time after retirement in a few months)

We have also not experienced any of the things being mentioned here.
We have had some air conditioning work done, as well as some plumbing. All those that we have dealt with have been honest and professional.

I do have to say that prior to using individuals/businesses, we always ask around for recommendations - use someone that others have used and have been happy with.

Unfortunately, in this poor ecconomy, it is more and more up to the consumer to protect thmeselves..."caveat emptor" Using common sense....don't pay before the job is done....have it in writing.
Don't know if it is relevant but those I've heard of that have gotten "burned" have fallen prey to the old addage: "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is"

Old 08-07-2009, 11:00 PM

65 posts, read 295,033 times
hi everyone-
i am glad to hear that some of you have not had any terrible experiences with all these unethical people/landlords/businesses. i am very glad to hear it!

i was sorry to hear the bad stories some of you had- with the pavers, the roof insurance thing, the criminal handyman guy- thats a scary one!

i think part of my problem has been "bad luck" and part of it is just that there truly ARE way more slimy people down here in florida. its a bummer. florida has so much to offer- the weather, the beaches, the wildlife, the arts, etc etc. If the slimeballs would leave it would be a true paradise.

i still cant believe how bad this window salesman was. he would not leave my home. and was yelling at me for 3 and 1/2 hours. and i got the name of the company from chamber of commerce. and i checked bbb and they have a A- rating. WTF???!!!! i really should have called the police- because it was abusive and like an verbal assault. i am pretty p*ssed off about it. next time i will call the police.

kbuild- i was looking into vinyl replacement windows- lower end to middle end. (affordable) and save some energy. i am not sure if i will persue it now. from all of my different bad experiences i am pretty burnt out.

see yall later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area