Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 AM

5 posts, read 6,144 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Been following the forum for ages, from a wet and miserable Scotland. Finally getting round to posting, as i'm hoping with the wealth of knowledge on here, somebody can point us in the right direction.

Long story short, my wife (a RN for 20 years) and I relocated to Venice around 9 years ago, through a Nursing Agency. We were very fortunate to get Green Cards, and my wife went to work in Pt Charlotte. Unfortunately, after a year or so, we had to return to Scotland because of family illness.

We now wish to return permanently to the area we love so much. This is where the problems begin though (life's never simple, is it!?).

Our GC's are no longer valid, that's definite. Retrogression is in place, so this has essentially stopped agencies recruiting for the US.

On the plus side (there actually is one, believe it or not!), my wife has still got a valid license, and has been offered a 3 year contract in Central Florida under the H1B visa.

The downside here (and I know beggars can't be choosers), is that we really don't fancy being stuck in the Greater Orlando area indefinately. Does anyone know of any hospital from Sarasota down to Pt Charlotte that might offer a similar arrangement?

To us, it's now about quality of life more than anything else. My wife will be completing her Masters degree in December, and has a good senior position back here. Seniority of post means nothing to her, the location means everything.

To end up in Orlando wouldn't enable us to put down any roots, as we know that ultimately it's the SW we want to be in. Any position in the SW would allow us to buy a home, and start enjoying life.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Calum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Wow! Your situation sounds exactly like what mr&mrssunshine have been going through. They post on the board here frequently and she is also a nurse who is trying to come over here from England.

I do know that they have made some progress in the last few months. I would suggest direct messaging them to see if they have any ideas.

On the job looking front, I would call the human resources department of some of the local hospitals and see if they can help you out.

Good luck with your venture

Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Wow! Your situation sounds exactly like what mr&mrssunshine have been going through. They post on the board here frequently and she is also a nurse who is trying to come over here from England.

I do know that they have made some progress in the last few months. I would suggest direct messaging them to see if they have any ideas.

On the job looking front, I would call the human resources department of some of the local hospitals and see if they can help you out.

Good luck with your venture
Hi SoFLGal

Thanks for that. I will try and track them down, and see if the info we have would be useful to them.
I'll also send you a PM when I get back home, as I planned to make contact with you sooner or later.

Regards

Calum

Old 08-16-2009, 12:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calum34 View Post
Hi SoFLGal

Thanks for that. I will try and track them down, and see if the info we have would be useful to them.
I'll also send you a PM when I get back home, as I planned to make contact with you sooner or later.

Regards

Calum
Sounds good! Looking forward to talking with you.

Since both of you are trying to accomplish the same thing it might be a good idea to talk back and forth with them. Maybe if you all put your heads together we can have you all as permanent residents

Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calum34 View Post
Hi folks,

Been following the forum for ages, from a wet and miserable Scotland. Finally getting round to posting, as i'm hoping with the wealth of knowledge on here, somebody can point us in the right direction.

Long story short, my wife (a RN for 20 years) and I relocated to Venice around 9 years ago, through a Nursing Agency. We were very fortunate to get Green Cards, and my wife went to work in Pt Charlotte. Unfortunately, after a year or so, we had to return to Scotland because of family illness.

We now wish to return permanently to the area we love so much. This is where the problems begin though (life's never simple, is it!?).

Our GC's are no longer valid, that's definite. Retrogression is in place, so this has essentially stopped agencies recruiting for the US.

On the plus side (there actually is one, believe it or not!), my wife has still got a valid license, and has been offered a 3 year contract in Central Florida under the H1B visa.

The downside here (and I know beggars can't be choosers), is that we really don't fancy being stuck in the Greater Orlando area indefinately. Does anyone know of any hospital from Sarasota down to Pt Charlotte that might offer a similar arrangement?

To us, it's now about quality of life more than anything else. My wife will be completing her Masters degree in December, and has a good senior position back here. Seniority of post means nothing to her, the location means everything.

To end up in Orlando wouldn't enable us to put down any roots, as we know that ultimately it's the SW we want to be in. Any position in the SW would allow us to buy a home, and start enjoying life.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Calum
Calum,
Welcome to the board!

Being a long time reader you must know you found a site that is really helpful. On the (Florida) board find my thread it is a few pages back called "Punta Gorda Anyone". It is like a journal of my experiences being a buyer from long distance. It will help you understand a lot of things about buying in the area, some things you will recall rather quickly - I'm sure.

I'll try to find a link for you, and I will also go one step further and Direct Message mr&mrssunshine and let them know you are going through a similar transition. They are really nice, and as SoFLGal said mrs sunshine is a nurse and has been going over all the hurdles trying to get her visa and license so that they can stay in the new home they bought here in Florida.

Good Luck! Feel free to dm me anytime or ask questions here. We're always glad to help.

Oh, almost forgot! I hope you like to fish and drink beer!

BH

Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
ok Mr S here, I am going to be very careful how i word this response. from now on everytime i say "I think" it means exactly that, - I am not 100% certain and you should/must take legal advice.

first the bad news , in giving up your GCs you have made a big mistake,however too late.

even though your wife has her licence, I THINK that wont be a major help.
I THINK that H1B is not the corect visa as that is for 'outstanding individuals' and much as nurses are oustanding I dont think that UCSIS recognises that. I THINK that you could use H1C however this could mean long wait, as I understand the scenario your wife needs to get a job offer then the employer applies for 'labour certification'. Heres the bummer -that can take 18-36 months :-(
Unless because of her history she qualifies a different way i have a horrible feeling you are in for a long wait.

All of our american frioends tell us its crazy and that the Us needs good nurses,unfortunately 9/11 has made emigrating very difficult.
I have a very good website that gives better info if you would like the link.

feel free to DM me - be good to have a fellow 'sufferer'

Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
ok Mr S here, I am going to be very careful how i word this response. from now on everytime i say "I think" it means exactly that, - I am not 100% certain and you should/must take legal advice.

first the bad news , in giving up your GCs you have made a big mistake,however too late.

even though your wife has her licence, I THINK that wont be a major help.
I THINK that H1B is not the corect visa as that is for 'outstanding individuals' and much as nurses are oustanding I dont think that UCSIS recognises that. I THINK that you could use H1C however this could mean long wait, as I understand the scenario your wife needs to get a job offer then the employer applies for 'labour certification'. Heres the bummer -that can take 18-36 months :-(
Unless because of her history she qualifies a different way i have a horrible feeling you are in for a long wait.

All of our american frioends tell us its crazy and that the Us needs good nurses,unfortunately 9/11 has made emigrating very difficult.
I have a very good website that gives better info if you would like the link.

feel free to DM me - be good to have a fellow 'sufferer'

MrsS.,
When I say "I Think" I am absolutely 100 percent sure - OK!.
Thanks for saving my face. :-) Before I could DM you, my computer had a slight connection problem with our wireless interent. But you saved the day, and came on anyway. "I Think" You're the best! ;-)

Thanks,
BH

Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 AM

Hi folks

Thank you all for your replies, I think most of you will be (un)lucky enough to have DM's by now.

The hospital in Orlando offering to sponsor with an H1B, has been the ONLY hospital we've found willing to do so. The people there, have been lovely to deal with, very efficient, and always true to their word. A generous relocation/signing-on fee was even on the table.

It is therefore almost unbelievable that we find ourselves about to turn it down.

Why? In a word, location. It would tie us to the Orlando area for the next 3-6 years, or until such time as perm. residence could be achieved (if ever). I'd be unable to work (ok, that one actually goes in the PLUS column! lol), but it would give me time to perhaps look for some business to invest in, which would be MUCH easier to do from over there.

Had the offer been in the SW, I think Liz would have ditched the Masters, and i'd be online booking flights at this very moment.

The whole reason for wanting to move, is quality of life, plain and simple. To actually enjoy time off together. Sadly (for me), the idea of trekking round Disney on days off, just doesn't appeal to Liz, go figure?

So it looks like its back to plan A, look for a suitable business to buy (def. a tick in NEGATIVE column for me!), which at least gets us over, then Liz can seek a Nursing job where hopefully she can beg an employer to sponsor her.

Really, if we didn't love the area so much, this all kinda seems like a lot of stress and hassle, especially looking for a business and a house in these buoyant times!

All suggestions re businesses etc will be greatly welcomed. My background is real estate.

Thanks again folks.

Calum

Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,180 times
I was just wondering if you looked into any of the neighboring communities in Orlando? There is a lot more to offer than just Disney. I have a few friends that live in Winter Park a great little city, and if I was ever in a position where I had to relocate to Orlando, it would be in Winter Park.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 AM

166 posts, read 604,084 times
To be honest, I don't think you would want to work at the only hospital that is offering a H1B, orlando or otherwise. Theres a reason why retrogression is in place, not as much demand for nurses. For example, many new nursing graduates cant find work in Florida and across the country.

The hospital with the H1b either doesn't pay enough, or has horrible conditions that nobody wants to work there.

But, I'm sure in a few years, the nursing shortage will be as great or even greater and it should be a lot easier.

You should check out allnurses.com . I'm sure somebody could help you both over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area