Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
No sarasota downtown business has lost any money due to parking meters.
Sarasota news and books said their lease was $12,000 a month. Thats a lot of cups of coffee!

I make a habit of parking out of the way to keep door dings, nicks and bangs to a minimum. I like and don't mind walking. On my visits I see many employees parking what appears to be as close as possible to their business. I don't care but I am sure their customers would if they knew.
The nicest downtown area have visited lately was Boulder, CO. The area was packed day and night. They have meters. The meters they have accept credit cards, and prints out a paper with the expiration time. If you choose to move a few blocks (or miles) you have until the alloted time runs out.
I don't think meters would hurt a vibrant downtown.
Well, this isn't Boulder Colorado. Sarasota has always struggled with downtown. It's only been the last few years it just started to take off and now the economy has businesses closing their doors left and right. Greedy landlords are choking the life out of it. It will cost a lot of money to install these d*mn things, and people here will not be swarming downtown with the meters, I guarantee you that. I haven't even been back here a year and have already seen at least 7 nor 8 Main street businesses close. I don't think we have even seen the last of the closings. Meters will all but assure Sarasota goes back to being the ghost town it was when I lived here 20 years ago. The business owners are very upset, I see their letters in the Herald-Tribune every day.

This is a huge, huge mistake, huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,664 times
This is really too bad. I thought better of the city and always feel there are better ways to rejuvenate lost revenue than 'raising taxes on parking'. Hope the voters are paying attention. If they aren't yet then we'll all know for sure when the revenue is truly lost. Businesses deserve more respect than this... and so do citizens.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM

166 posts, read 604,171 times
I don't know. It seems foolish now. But, I'm not too concerned about downtown becoming a ghost town. Its august and a bad economy.

I think the bigger reason for the (past) resurgence of downtown has been the condos, etc that have brought people to live downtown.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
There is a meeting downtown, tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 10:30 a.m. at Five Points Park re: Save Our Downtown, if anyone's interested.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,664 times
Save me a spot

That's right, I'm not down there yet to help.

Well, it was worth the thought.
Good luck at the meeting!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:00 PM

251 posts, read 1,066,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I don't think meters would hurt a vibrant downtown.
That's the problem. We don't have a 'vibrant downtown'. I only go there on weekends when I'm off of work, mainly to the farmer's market. I love parking a block or two away but staying on Main Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
There is a meeting downtown, tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 10:30 a.m. at Five Points Park re: Save Our Downtown, if anyone's interested.
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post
That's the problem. We don't have a 'vibrant downtown'. I only go there on weekends when I'm off of work, mainly to the farmer's market. I love parking a block or two away but staying on Main Street.

Thanks for the heads up!
We do have a vibrant downtown...if you're not out & about during the week, you have no idea. Don't worry, they'll eventually meter the off streets as well.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
I understand Sarasota isn't Boulder.My point was Boulder thrives in spite of meters. Meters won't deter a vibrant downtown. Sarasota News and Books says they paid 12k a month rent. When downtown is empty the greedy landlords will lower prices.
People also need a reason to go downtown. Business needs to provide goods and services at competitive prices. Currently there is not much to draw me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, this isn't Boulder Colorado. Sarasota has always struggled with downtown. It's only been the last few years it just started to take off and now the economy has businesses closing their doors left and right. Greedy landlords are choking the life out of it. It will cost a lot of money to install these d*mn things, and people here will not be swarming downtown with the meters, I guarantee you that. I haven't even been back here a year and have already seen at least 7 nor 8 Main street businesses close. I don't think we have even seen the last of the closings. Meters will all but assure Sarasota goes back to being the ghost town it was when I lived here 20 years ago. The business owners are very upset, I see their letters in the Herald-Tribune every day.

This is a huge, huge mistake, huge.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
Problem is the prices are high downtown as the rents are high so shop owners have low margins.
I cannot see any reason to shop downtown at inflated prices and pay tp park !

Old 08-23-2009, 02:49 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
Peter has it right. Plus shops need to sell what the public wants and needs.
We rode through saturday evening. Upper Main near the theatre was crowded and there wasn't a parking spot to be had on lower Main.
I myself miss the old Main St. Depot. It was truly a melting point on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area