Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 8,473 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I have a 2 part question relating to relocation and jobs! Just for a little background info- my boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to the Sarasota area beginning of next year (to be close to his family in Tampa, but not too close!) and currently we live up in Boston. We are bohemian/ beach people with a small boat (no kids) and love the more quaint and laidback lifestyle over the hustle and bustle of urban strip mall-type areas. I work in the luxury hotel industry and have been in contact with many of the resorts and clubs on Longboat and Siesta Key. So far it looks like I’ll have a couple of options to choose from. Because of the bizarre hours of my job we are looking to rent a place on one of the keys, and we’re trying to decide which one! We’re traveling down there in a month to get a feel of the Longboat area and the Siesta area but my boyfriend’s commute will be a factor in what key we choose. He works as a carpenter mostly in the high-end building/ renovation sector but originally trained as a plasterer. Obviously the trades industry is not what it used to be in FL, but with all of the high-end homes on Longboat and Siesta is there still a market for small renovation jobs? Is one island more lucrative then the other? Or is there more business on the mainland? From looking at a map it appears that it is easier to get to the mainland from Siesta Key but please let me know if that is incorrect.

The second part of my question has to do with the plastering industry in the Sarasota areas. Although he loves doing the custom carpentry and renovation work he makes a lot of $$$ from his "side" plastering because of his training/ expertise. It is our understanding that the majority of any building/ renovations in FL are done with drywall. I'm not familiar with the drywall vs. plaster debate in Florida (if one exists) but up in the Northeast plastering is considered to be far superior to drywall for multiple reasons ranging from durability to energy efficiency. He has been able to talk to some contractors up in the Tampa area and some said that many homeowners (many who originally came from the Northeast) would prefer plastering to drywall but because of the lack of plasterers in the area it just wasn’t offered as an option. Would he be able to find a market for plastering in the Sarasota area? Would plastering be able to compete with drywall as an option?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA2010 View Post
Hi there,

I have a 2 part question relating to relocation and jobs! Just for a little background info- my boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to the Sarasota area beginning of next year (to be close to his family in Tampa, but not too close!) and currently we live up in Boston. We are bohemian/ beach people with a small boat (no kids) and love the more quaint and laidback lifestyle over the hustle and bustle of urban strip mall-type areas. I work in the luxury hotel industry and have been in contact with many of the resorts and clubs on Longboat and Siesta Key. So far it looks like I’ll have a couple of options to choose from. Because of the bizarre hours of my job we are looking to rent a place on one of the keys, and we’re trying to decide which one! We’re traveling down there in a month to get a feel of the Longboat area and the Siesta area but my boyfriend’s commute will be a factor in what key we choose. He works as a carpenter mostly in the high-end building/ renovation sector but originally trained as a plasterer. Obviously the trades industry is not what it used to be in FL, but with all of the high-end homes on Longboat and Siesta is there still a market for small renovation jobs? Is one island more lucrative then the other? Or is there more business on the mainland? From looking at a map it appears that it is easier to get to the mainland from Siesta Key but please let me know if that is incorrect.

The second part of my question has to do with the plastering industry in the Sarasota areas. Although he loves doing the custom carpentry and renovation work he makes a lot of $$$ from his "side" plastering because of his training/ expertise. It is our understanding that the majority of any building/ renovations in FL are done with drywall. I'm not familiar with the drywall vs. plaster debate in Florida (if one exists) but up in the Northeast plastering is considered to be far superior to drywall for multiple reasons ranging from durability to energy efficiency. He has been able to talk to some contractors up in the Tampa area and some said that many homeowners (many who originally came from the Northeast) would prefer plastering to drywall but because of the lack of plasterers in the area it just wasn’t offered as an option. Would he be able to find a market for plastering in the Sarasota area? Would plastering be able to compete with drywall as an option?

When I was a kid I grew up on the north end of Longboat. That would be the only area I would consider living if I were to move back. It's pretty laid back there, still old Florida. The rest of Longboat is very "Disney World like" to me. Everything has to be perfect. Also most of Longboat is older-my guess would be that the average age is somewhere around 70. The village on the north end would probably be your younger population.

Siesta has a younger crowd than Longboat. As far driving, both are bad in the winter time. There's a single lane highway that goes up and down both islands. If you get behind a gawker (Sunday driver) forget about it. It would say Siesta traffic is probably worse due to the fact of Siesta Key public beach.

Did you try the Ritz by downtown Sarasota, just before the bridge going over to Longboat? I would say there's more luxury hotels on Longboat than on Siesta.

As far as jobs being better on one island or another, I don't think that's the issue. I think if you do a fantastic job people will find you by word of mouth. Many of the people that are out on the islands and that live in the fancy developments go to the same parties, hang with the same circles, go to the same golf courses, etc. They all talk. Pick up a copy of Sarasota Magazine and check out the social section. It's the same folks pictured month after month. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm not to sure on the plastering verse drywall question. I have seen a few homes out on the keys with plaster. I think it's much more expensive to do than drywall. So, that might fit in with the rest of your plan.

Good luck with it

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I have a 2 part question relating to relocation and jobs! Just for a little background info- my boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to the Sarasota area beginning of next year (to be close to his family in Tampa, but not too close!) and currently we live up in Boston. We are bohemian/ beach people with a small boat (no kids) and love the more quaint and laidback lifestyle over the hustle and bustle of urban strip mall-type areas. I work in the luxury hotel industry and have been in contact with many of the resorts and clubs on Longboat and Siesta Key. So far it looks like I’ll have a couple of options to choose from. Because of the bizarre hours of my job we are looking to rent a place on one of the keys, and we’re trying to decide which one!
Either Siesta or Lido would work. Both will have major traffic snarls to deal with during high season (January through April). Both are full of condominium complexes. Siesta has a number of great clubs/restaurant bars as does St. Armand's Circle, right off Lido.

We’re traveling down there in a month to get a feel of the Longboat area and the Siesta area but my boyfriend’s commute will be a factor in what key we choose. He works as a carpenter mostly in the high-end building/ renovation sector but originally trained as a plasterer. Obviously the trades industry is not what it used to be in FL, but with all of the high-end homes on Longboat and Siesta is there still a market for small renovation jobs?

I work for a condominium complex on Longboat Key. We have rules regulating when remodeling work can be done (May through December)...after that, when unit owners are down for the season, they do not want to hear construction noise. Is there a market for small renovation jobs...yes...is it competitive? Oh yes...Where the builders used to shy away from remodels, they now embrace any work they can get. We work with three major remodels; pm me for names. They all bid the same jobs. It's very competitive. Due to big money lost in Sarasota, many people are not doing the remodeling they once did. We've had a number of companies gone belly up with investor cash and it's hurt the economy profusely.
Is one island more lucrative then the other?That's debateable.....
Or is there more business on the mainland?Debateable as well.... From looking at a map it appears that it is easier to get to the mainland from Siesta Key but please let me know if that is incorrect.You can get to the mainland just as easy from Siesta as from Lido or Longboat...Siesta looks shorter but gets very backed up.

The second part of my question has to do with the plastering industry in the Sarasota areas. Although he loves doing the custom carpentry and renovation work he makes a lot of $$$ from his "side" plastering because of his training/ expertise. It is our understanding that the majority of any building/ renovations in FL are done with drywall.

I don't hear of much plaster work going on at all, except in the older home remodels, possibly... I'm not familiar with the drywall vs. plaster debate in Florida (if one exists) but up in the Northeast plastering is considered to be far superior to drywall for multiple reasons ranging from durability to energy efficiency. He has been able to talk to some contractors up in the Tampa area and some said that many homeowners (many who originally came from the Northeast) would prefer plastering to drywall but because of the lack of plasterers in the area it just wasn’t offered as an option. Would he be able to find a market for plastering in the Sarasota area? Would plastering be able to compete with drywall as an option?

Make sure your job offer is secure & come with a year's worth of savings, at least.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
SoFlGal and Ladywithafan have give you some good tips. The only thing I will add is that I believe there can be a market for plastering, especially now, with all the brouhaha going on about the toxic Chinese drywall. A LOT of people are going to be gun-shy about any drywall from now on, I believe.

Personally, I LOVE plaster - we have it in our old 1950's home and I just love the solidness of it compared to "paper" drywall. I think if he can do a few jobs word will get around and he could probably have all the work he wanted. No guarantees, but I think the timing is good.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
When I was a kid I grew up on the north end of Longboat. That would be the only area I would consider living if I were to move back. It's pretty laid back there, still old Florida. The rest of Longboat is very "Disney World like" to me. Everything has to be perfect. Also most of Longboat is older-my guess would be that the average age is somewhere around 70. The village on the north end would probably be your younger population.

Siesta has a younger crowd than Longboat. As far driving, both are bad in the winter time. There's a single lane highway that goes up and down both islands. If you get behind a gawker (Sunday driver) forget about it. It would say Siesta traffic is probably worse due to the fact of Siesta Key public beach.

Did you try the Ritz by downtown Sarasota, just before the bridge going over to Longboat? I would say there's more luxury hotels on Longboat than on Siesta.

As far as jobs being better on one island or another, I don't think that's the issue. I think if you do a fantastic job people will find you by word of mouth. Many of the people that are out on the islands and that live in the fancy developments go to the same parties, hang with the same circles, go to the same golf courses, etc. They all talk. Pick up a copy of Sarasota Magazine and check out the social section. It's the same folks pictured month after month. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm not to sure on the plastering verse drywall question. I have seen a few homes out on the keys with plaster. I think it's much more expensive to do than drywall. So, that might fit in with the rest of your plan.

Good luck with it

Thanks for your quick response! We have moved around a bit because of my job and we're hoping this next move will be permanent. When we get down there in a few months we're really going to do a lot of "footwork" in terms of walking around neighborhoods, talking to locals (and tourists) and basically getting a "feel" for the area.

My job transfer will obviously be easier then his because I will already have a position waiting for me. We know it's going to be a proccess with him finding work and associating with a good crew, and word-of-mouth has always been the key to him getting jobs. Right now he works with a builder that strictly deals in the high-end market only and even in this economy they have been busier then ever. He does the frame to finish stuff during normal work hours and then any plastering that is included in the job goes to him and he does that evenings/weekends (as well as any side-work he gets himself). Up here there are numerous plasterers but only a few skilled plasterers and he happens to be one of the few skilled. He'll do 1 job in a neighborhood and before you know it the whole neighborhood is asking him for plastering. It's been a successful symbiotic relationship for him and he's hoping to carve out a similar niche in the Sarasota / Venice area. Up here the towns and areas with the highest concentration of high-end homes is where he gets the most jobs, so I figured if there was more high-end housing in one area (like one of the keys) as oppose to another then we would settle closer to that area.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM

Ladywithafan and gypsychic thanks for your input!

I've heard of the traffic on the keys, and I guess it's just one of things I'll have to deal with! We have saved up for a move because we have been planning a "big" relocation for sometime, and in my line of work I will have a position ready for me once we get down there.

In his line of work the smaller renovations and remodeling jobs have always worked in his favor so it's good to know that's where building is in the Sarasota area. It's also very competitive up here in that there's a lot of hacks but only a few choice crews. I think the ideal situation for him is similar to what he already has going on up here- being part of a respected crew doing the carpentry/ building stuff, getting sub'd the plaster work (if there is any) and getting his own plastering jobs for nights/ weekends.

Plastering is definitely more expensive then drywall but he's been doing it for so long that he knows how to sell the product! I guess how he's hoping to branch out down there is too establish himself by doing the small renovation jobs and then hopefully, by word of mouth and recommendations, he can grow the business from there. He's been looking into marketing plaster as the alternative to drywall in response to the chinese drywall issue. Because plastering is the "norm" up here he's also looking to market it to the snowbirds with second homes in the area who might prefer it over drywall but haven't been able to find a plasterer down there to do it. But none of this will happen until he networks with area builders and contractors, so that would be the first step!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,420 times
You have gotten some good information here. As far as this statement goes- When we get down there in a few months we're really going to do a lot of "footwork" in terms of walking around neighborhoods, talking to locals (and tourists) and basically getting a "feel" for the area.

Longboat key is not exactly the kind of area you can just "park & walk around" to speak to locals. The only locals you may end up speaking to would probably be the Longboat PD. If your up on the North end that's another story. Much more casual like SOFLGAL explained. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
You have gotten some good information here. As far as this statement goes- When we get down there in a few months we're really going to do a lot of "footwork" in terms of walking around neighborhoods, talking to locals (and tourists) and basically getting a "feel" for the area.

Longboat key is not exactly the kind of area you can just "park & walk around" to speak to locals. The only locals you may end up speaking to would probably be the Longboat PD. If your up on the North end that's another story. Much more casual like SOFLGAL explained. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Hi Angelfish, that's the impression I'm getting about Longboat. From what I've been reading on this site it sounds like the north end of the key has much more of a community feel to it then the rest of the island (which is great because that is exactly what we're looking for). What is Anna Maria like? Is it much more remote then the other keys?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Hi Angelfish, that's the impression I'm getting about Longboat. From what I've been reading on this site it sounds like the north end of the key has much more of a community feel to it then the rest of the island (which is great because that is exactly what we're looking for). What is Anna Maria like? Is it much more remote then the other keys?
The north end of LBK has Whitney Beach Plaza. That's about it.

AMI (Anna Maria Island) is not any more remote than any of the other keys. There's two ways on/off Cortez Rd (West to the beach/island, East to town) and Manatee Avenue(the same). You can walk around in Bradenton Beach and Holmes Beach, somewhat....If you're looking for a walkable area, I would consider Siesta Key (in the strip area) much more walkable.

Downtown Sarasota is "walkable." Southside Village (just ne of Siesta Key) is "walkable."

Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
I think AMI is also walkable and less crowded than SK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area