U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:34 PM

60 posts, read 48,146 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I found this forum by searching Google, and have spent a few days combing over it's massively helpful threads. I finally decided to register and inquire.

I won a lottery about 6 months ago and I would like to buy a home in the area of Siesta Key, or Casey Key. My wife and I love the gulf area, and the beaches in Siesta are second to none. Would I be better off buying an existing home, or finding a nice lot and building my own? Money is not a problem, but I want to make the best investment I can, so as to not squander away my windfall. I have to move away from the area I live now, because it seems I have magically developed a multitude of friends and relatives, and they simply will not leave me alone. I can guess that I could move to this area of Florida, since there are already a number of wealthy areas anyway, and nobody would know any different about me. If asked, I will just tell them I sold out in the dot com era and cleaned up. That should be enough to satisfy most inquiring minds.

What I am looking for is an estate that is near all beaches and entertainment, but yet out of the way so no one can just "stop by". It needs to be gated. I need something large enough to satisfy extended visits by family and friends, and enough amenities to entertain many children. It's not out of the question to buy two places next door to one another, and turn one into a guest house. I intend to buy a couple of boats also, a large cruiser, and something for the Intracoastal. How do you find people to pilot your boat for you? I want someone who is experienced and trustworthy.

The home location is the most important part of it. Once I get there and get established, I'm sure many of my other questions will be helped by friendly folks that I meet along the way.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:27 PM

7,486 posts, read 20,738,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahMon View Post
Hi everyone. I found this forum by searching Google, and have spent a few days combing over it's massively helpful threads. I finally decided to register and inquire.

I won a lottery about 6 months ago and I would like to buy a home in the area of Siesta Key, or Casey Key. My wife and I love the gulf area, and the beaches in Siesta are second to none. Would I be better off buying an existing home, or finding a nice lot and building my own? Money is not a problem, but I want to make the best investment I can, so as to not squander away my windfall. I have to move away from the area I live now, because it seems I have magically developed a multitude of friends and relatives, and they simply will not leave me alone. I can guess that I could move to this area of Florida, since there are already a number of wealthy areas anyway, and nobody would know any different about me. If asked, I will just tell them I sold out in the dot com era and cleaned up. That should be enough to satisfy most inquiring minds.

What I am looking for is an estate that is near all beaches and entertainment, but yet out of the way so no one can just "stop by". It needs to be gated. I need something large enough to satisfy extended visits by family and friends, and enough amenities to entertain many children. It's not out of the question to buy two places next door to one another, and turn one into a guest house. I intend to buy a couple of boats also, a large cruiser, and something for the Intracoastal. How do you find people to pilot your boat for you? I want someone who is experienced and trustworthy.

The home location is the most important part of it. Once I get there and get established, I'm sure many of my other questions will be helped by friendly folks that I meet along the way.

Thanks in advance!
I guess it really depends on what you are looking for as far as if you should buy or build. There are many builders that are hurting for work so you could probably get the labor for much cheaper than a few years ago. On the other hand, there are lots of people out on the keys and elsewhere in town that are really needing to sell. There are some foreclosures that come up on the keys but not near as many as on the mainland.

I just did a quick search of Casey Key and Siesta and put in some general criteria-single family home, at least 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2500 square feet under air. There are 96 properties. I could narrow it down from there. The price range is from $545K-11.5 mil. Several of them are gated and many of them are on water. There are many people that live out on the keys and like their privacy-Stephen King, Martina Navratilova, etc.

Often the price of the home is determined by how deep the water is-sailboat water is usually deeper and considered better. And how long it takes to get out to an open body of water. Usually beach front property is considered more valuable than bay front.

You might want to start here for a captain for your boat- http://www.sarasotayacht.com/ Usually the people who sell the boats have an idea of who's good in town. When I was a kid we had a captain charter a sailboat to Key West for us but I don't think he's in town anymore.

Congratulations on you're winnings, I'm still out there playing

Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,325,420 times
Welcome to the forum I live on Casey Key & would be happy to answer any questions for you.

Siesta Key & Casey Key are quite different. Siesta is more active with a larger public beach, more "nightlife", and hotels/condos. It is closer to the Sarasota area for entertainment, etc..

Casey is pretty quiet & definitely more private, 2 small beach areas (Nokomis Beach & Jetty Park, both at the south end) Almost all of Casey is residential. No new hotels/motels will ever be built on the key. There are a few small older motels by the beach that were here before the rule took effect & those are the only ones here. Most of Casey is a conservation district as well. There are no stoplights on the key either. It's pretty much one long winding road from north to south. Venice is just a few minutes away from Casey & it's where I do my shopping, errands, etc. Sarasota really isn't that far away either.

We just finished building a house on the key & I will tell you, you are better off buying an existing home. We spent 1.5 years in the design & permitting phase & another 21 months build time. You have to jump through hoops with the county, the DEP & everyone in between. There are so many really nice homes on the market right now, both on Casey & Siesta. If I had to do it over again, I would have definitely bought new or bought & renovated vs. build.

There are 3 types of homes you can get on Casey- Gulf front, Bayfront or Gulf to bay. I've lived both Bayfront & Gulf front on the key.

During season, Siesta can get massively congested. Casey gets a little busy too but it's pretty much limited to the 2 beach areas.

Lastly, If your interested, I know a wonderful realtor who has lived on the key for 15+ years. She deals in luxury 1M+ homes mostly on the Key islands. She was my lifeline when I first moved here. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:35 PM

It is important to have nightlife nearby as there are a number of young adults in my family. I will likely buy a large limo type vehicle and hire a driver so we don't have to worry about DWI's. We really like the village in Siesta Key. Fun times to be had by all ages. I would like to keep Beach Road nearby. It is the easy way around the key.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
It is important to have nightlife nearby as there are a number of young adults in my family. I will likely buy a large limo type vehicle and hire a driver so we don't have to worry about DWI's. We really like the village in Siesta Key. Fun times to be had by all ages. I would like to keep Beach Road nearby. It is the easy way around the key.
If you are looking for some kind of nightlife then Casey Key probably wouldn't be your "cup of tea". I would suggest Siesta. It has a lot more going on and it's closer to downtown Sarasota, where there is even more going on.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 PM

I thought about buying a whole block right across from the beach, then knocking anything down that stands there, and rebuilding from scratch. That way I am guaranteed to get the most usable space for my money. Nothing I dislike more than dumb space built into a home. I can also make sure we have the most modern amenities, as well as home security. How easy would it be to get permits for something like this?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I thought about buying a whole block right across from the beach, then knocking anything down that stands there, and rebuilding from scratch. That way I am guaranteed to get the most usable space for my money. Nothing I dislike more than dumb space built into a home. I can also make sure we have the most modern amenities, as well as home security. How easy would it be to get permits for something like this?
I think the biggest issue you might run into, if you have any, would be environmental protection issues. There are many trees and animals that are protected in Florida. For instance, mangroves (which are trees and protected), sea turtle, etc. Also any soil issues, set backs, etc.

If you go that route I would go with a reputable builder that has experience dealing with the issues that come up when building on the keys. My parents built a home out on a local barrier island that only has access by boat. They used Brent Whitehead, a longtime local builder, who has lots of experience with the above issues. There are several good builders in the area that have this kind of experience.

There's also the Hillview/Harbor Acres/Paradise Shores area. Although not on the keys it's closer to downtown and would have full bay views. And there's Bird Key, all the way at the end on Meadow Lark Dr you would also have full bay views. It's also very close to downtown and St Armand's.

Building/buying new would also ensure the you have a home with the latest hurricane codes.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 08-22-2009 at 10:41 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 PM

There is an area along beach road, I think it is Beach Access 7, it is right next to the public beach...I would like to buy out the whole block. There are some older rentals and what-not there, but I would like to have that space to build my estate on. I can't remember the name of the condos right next door though. The beach access is less crowded, and I think a better part of the beach than the public area anyway.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
There is an area along beach road, I think it is Beach Access 7, it is right next to the public beach...I would like to buy out the whole block. There are some older rentals and what-not there, but I would like to have that space to build my estate on. I can't remember the name of the condos right next door though. The beach access is less crowded, and I think a better part of the beach than the public area anyway.
Beach access #7 should be right by Calle de la Siesta in the 5300 block. Tenacity Ln runs right in front of beach access #7. Shells on Siesta, Beach Villas, Dav-Mar, The Terrace and Sarasota Beach are right in that area as well. It's just a bit north of the public beach- very nice area.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Then I am thinking of the wrong beach access...11 maybe?

Avenida del Mare, Calle del Otono and Calle del Invierno? (sp?)

That block. It's a pretty good piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area