Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times

Advertisements

I think North Port might be a good option as well. It's about 25 minutes or so from the beach depending on the traffic. You would be able to get the most "bang for your buck" in this area as well. I live in North Port and have three kids. We moved from the Charlotte county area to Sarasota county specifically for the schools. Most of North Port is newer with a new library, skate park, shopping centers, etc. Many of the homes are newer as well.

I love the Sarasota/Osprey area but my home in Osprey would probably be 3-4 times as much as I paid for it.

Rotonda is closer to the beaches but would also be more expensive than North Port. It's also in a flood zone unlike 95% of North Port.

South Venice might be an idea. It's closer to the beaches than North Port but it's a very non-uniform neighborhood. You'll have a home built in 1960 right next to a brand new home and so on.

I really think you'll get more for your money in the North Port area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 PM

122 posts, read 323,662 times
Can anyone provide me with a good site to look at rentals?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I think North Port might be a good option as well. It's about 25 minutes or so from the beach depending on the traffic. You would be able to get the most "bang for your buck" in this area as well. I live in North Port and have three kids. We moved from the Charlotte county area to Sarasota county specifically for the schools. Most of North Port is newer with a new library, skate park, shopping centers, etc. Many of the homes are newer as well.

I love the Sarasota/Osprey area but my home in Osprey would probably be 3-4 times as much as I paid for it.

Rotonda is closer to the beaches but would also be more expensive than North Port. It's also in a flood zone unlike 95% of North Port.

South Venice might be an idea. It's closer to the beaches than North Port but it's a very none uniform neighborhood. You'll have a home built in 1960 right next to a brand new home and so on.

I really think you'll get more for your money in the North Port area.

Where do you practice real estate?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiamiTrailBlues View Post
Where do you practice real estate?
Well, technically I can sell anywhere in Florida but I live in North Port and stick to Sarasota and Charlotte counties-North Port, Venice, Sarasota, Osprey, Nokomis, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Englewood, Rotonda, and the keys-Siesta, Lido, Bird, Manasota, Boca Grande.

You can go here to search for rentals: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

You might also want to search the Coldwell Banker website (my competition). I've heard they have a pretty good rental section.

Also Stringer Management has lots of rentals in the area and they have been in the area a long time: Stringer Management

Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glurknobia View Post
Tamiami-
We just finished up an exploratory trip down there. I was born and raised in MI, but lived in FL for several years during the 80's. Like you, we have two school age kids and are willing to trade quantity of pay check for quality of life. Our needs (2 acres, 200K w/pool) brought us to North Port though we found a place we loved in near Bradenton. I think the best advice I can offer is to plan a trip (without the kids if possible) to specifically check out houses/schools/etc. It was tough for us to go without the kids, but it really helps you focus on what you are down there for as well as it helps you avoid the feelings of guilt while you skip the beaches and attractions to drive from house to house. Buy a TomTom and show up with a fist full of listings then check out one house after another. The neighborhoods vary dramatically as do the schools - all of the info is available on line, but nothing beats a personal visit. There are several great realtors that I'm sure will respond to your post - I've been following them for some time and find their info to be given with the best intentions. You may also find some negative responses as well - take that with a grain of salt - you'll find your spot, just move slowly, but keep making progress. Good Luck!
Glurk-I think you had a great idea. You covered a lot of ground when you were down and saw a lot of the area. You saw what you could buy for your money. Now you can go back and watch just the specific areas that you liked. Glad it worked out for you

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Well, technically I can sell anywhere in Florida but I live in North Port and stick to Sarasota and Charlotte counties-North Port, Venice, Sarasota, Osprey, Nokomis, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Englewood, Rotonda, and the keys-Siesta, Lido, Bird, Manasota, Boca Grande.

You can go here to search for rentals: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

You might also want to search the Coldwell Banker website (my competition). I've heard they have a pretty good rental section.

Also Stringer Management has lots of rentals in the area and they have been in the area a long time: Stringer Management
Thanks. It appears to be a dumb idea to rent, when most of the places I see are several thousand a month. I could throw away over 10% of my home purchase by renting for a year.

Just keep looking...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It appears to be a dumb idea to rent, when most of the places I see are several thousand a month. I could throw away over 10% of my home purchase by renting for a year.

Just keep looking...
The only reason I would rent first is to get a feel for the area if you're not that familiar. We have some people that rent for a short time while they are looking for a home so they don't feel rushed. The rent for a pool home in North Port would probably run you around $1200-$1500 or so.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Can anyone tell me about Gulf Gate? It looks quite nice.

And another question...why do almost all pools have those UGLY cages over them? I assume it is to prevent constant cleaning?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me about Gulf Gate? It looks quite nice.

And another question...why do almost all pools have those UGLY cages over them? I assume it is to prevent constant cleaning?
Yea it keeps the leaves and critters out, and to keep the bugs from flying away with your children while enjoying the pool!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 PM

Well, we're almost certain we don't want an HOA with restrictions. We love koi ponds, and we will have to dig a large one wherever we move to. HOA's normally frown down upon things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area