U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 07:16 PM

181 posts, read 456,150 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm driving down from Boston to Sarasota on Thursday to help someone move furniture down there. We want to drive about 15-16 hours and end up somewhere in South Carolina and then stay overnight and drive the rest of the way the next morning.

Does anyone have any suggestions about good, safe areas in SC off I-95 to stay overnight? And, any suggestions as to nice and not too expensive hotels in those areas?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 AM

55 posts, read 118,277 times
Florance S.C lots of hotels and food right of of 95 we stop there all the time. And your only about 45 min. from G.A

Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM

413 posts, read 1,141,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett68 View Post
Hi,

I'm driving down from Boston to Sarasota on Thursday to help someone move furniture down there. We want to drive about 15-16 hours and end up somewhere in South Carolina and then stay overnight and drive the rest of the way the next morning.

Does anyone have any suggestions about good, safe areas in SC off I-95 to stay overnight? And, any suggestions as to nice and not too expensive hotels in those areas?

Thanks
We live in central MA and when we drive we stop in Rocky Mount NC. This is further north than you want to be. But there are a zillion hotels along 95. You will have no problem finding a room in any price range.
I might also suggest avoiding DC by going over the Tappanzee, following 287 south and then heading west to Harrisburg, then south to Richmond. It is about 80 miles longer but you will save yourself a ton of stress and lots of time.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINandSARAH2 View Post
Florance S.C lots of hotels and food right of of 95 we stop there all the time. And your only about 45 min. from G.A
KEVINandSARAH2 Thanks - is Florence a safe area? I don't know the area at all so no offense to Florence, but just want to be sure that when I roll in late at night, I'm not picking somewhere unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
I might also suggest avoiding DC by going over the Tappanzee, following 287 south and then heading west to Harrisburg, then south to Richmond. It is about 80 miles longer but you will save yourself a ton of stress and lots of time.
Smiledoc - thanks for the suggestion. The 80 extra miles would add over 1 hour in driving time. How much time do you think is saved by doing the route you said? Are the signs clear as to how to do this with the Tappanzee Bridge? Thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM

425 posts, read 1,014,561 times
Default florence.s.c.

we stayed there on the way back up from Florida, but I cant rememeber if it was super 8 or something.they gave us a room way in the back of the place, and there was a group of young girls, sitting outside the room next to us , which made us a little leary, there was about a 2 inch gap at the bottom of the door and we just didnt feel comfortable staying in that room, so we called up to the front desk and they moved us, when we left to go to the next room these kids asked if they could have our room.
very very wierd!!!
cheaper isnt always better

Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,739,099 times
I think a good place to ask about a place to stay in South Carolina would be the South Carolina forum. While you are driving to Sarasota, you are asking about places to stay in SC. That question would be better suited in the South Carolina forum.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM

55 posts, read 118,277 times
Quote:
KEVINandSARAH2 Thanks - is Florence a safe area? I don't know the area at all so no offense to Florence, but just want to be sure that when I roll in late at night, I'm not picking somewhere unsafe.

Smiledoc - thanks for the suggestion. The 80 extra miles would add over 1 hour in driving time. How much time do you think is saved by doing the route you said? Are the signs clear as to how to do this with the Tappanzee Bridge? Thanks
YES FLORENCE is safe we never had any issue's there. if you want a deal on rooms stop at the welcome centers of each state and pick up the hotel books you will find tons of discounts in them we never pay more the $60.00 for our rooms. I hope this helps

Old 09-02-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:

I'll bet you'll save over two hours in time. And you are leaving on Thursday which is just before Labor Day. You'll be stuck on 95 forever. Add up the time you are stuck in traffic on the NJ Turnpike, in DC , and subtract 1 hour and a few minutes. Take any way you want to 287 and go over the Tappanzee bridge. 287W to 78W to 81S to 64E to 95S and you're on your way. Don't forget to add in the stress around DC. You won't even need a GPS with these directions. It is such a simple route even Mrs. Smiledoc1 could follow it !!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Smiledoc1 - I will go the route you said. Sounds easy.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Smiledoc1 - I will go the route you said. Sounds easy.

Thanks

Be sure to chime in when you arrive. I would like to hear your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area