Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
I am moving down there in October and need some help!!!!! I am trying to choose between Fort Myers and Sarasota to live. My job is in the middle in Port Charlotte but feel not enough activity there for my kids. I have teenagers and small children. I am looking at Gateway Lakes apts. in Sarasota? Anybody have any info on those? I want to be somewhere where there is alot to do but low crime area. Any suggestions? It's hard to make a decision from Indiana which is where I am now. I loved Fort Myers when I came for interviews but have heard high crime. Please help me someone???
I live in PGI, and it would be a bit slow for younger kids. I would look around North Port. It has a lot more going on, and you can get your children into PineView, which is a really good public school in the Sarasota County system. You will be really close to Port Charlotte as well. North Port is a pretty large area, so there should be a lot to choose from.

And as I mentioned before (on another thread), you might want to look and see what some single family homes are renting for - I think you'll be surprised at what you can get for the money you will be able to spend. Plus, (and I may be wrong - not likely though cuz it's never happened before) you will probably by default be able to put your family in a better environment. There are lots of home to choose from right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:10 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
If an apt. complex goes condo, they seem to either offer the unit for sale to the renter or terminate the lease early.

In your price range, you might want to look into Palmer Ranch for condo living.
LWAF! You are sooooo goood! I think for the amount she is considering for rent, she can probably find a single family house to rent, but a condo may do well for her too. My thoughts were that it would help put her in a better environment for her kids than your average apartment project. I also mentioned North Port with the purpose of having her stay in Sarasota County, which is I think is in better shape than Ft. Myers too.

Rainbowgirl, the other plus to living in the Sarasota area is that LWAF knows whats going on everywhere all the time!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
I like living in SRQ because having traveled & gotten around the country before settling down to raise a family, I find downtown Sarasota combines a big city feel in a small area. When there are downtown events, the street cleaners are out immediately following & trash is picked up.

There is a wide variety of eateries around town; something for everyone.

The proximity of the beaches, gulf & bay makes getting to the water quite easy, i.e. if you've ever experienced getting to the beach from out west in Ft. Lauderdale, you can't complain about traffic on Siesta & Lido beach; there's no comparison. We just don't have the room on the roads for that amount of traffic...

We have the Van Wezel offering up musicals, comedy & music events (yeah, not so great as in the past, but nevertheless, they do bring in a big surprise once in a while...Moody Blues!).

We've got the whole Ringling Museum experience along with once a month on the bay music & food, the art museum itself, the circus experience....

Selby Gardens, G. Wiz & Mote Marine...

And then the art scene which will now include the Sailor statue for the next ten years!

All packed into one little city on the bay; imagine that!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I like living in SRQ because having traveled & gotten around the country before settling down to raise a family, I find downtown Sarasota combines a big city feel in a small area. When there are downtown events, the street cleaners are out immediately following & trash is picked up.

There is a wide variety of eateries around town; something for everyone.

The proximity of the beaches, gulf & bay makes getting to the water quite easy, i.e. if you've ever experienced getting to the beach from out west in Ft. Lauderdale, you can't complain about traffic on Siesta & Lido beach; there's no comparison. We just don't have the room on the roads for that amount of traffic...

We have the Van Wezel offering up musicals, comedy & music events (yeah, not so great as in the past, but nevertheless, they do bring in a big surprise once in a while...Moody Blues!).

We've got the whole Ringling Museum experience along with once a month on the bay music & food, the art museum itself, the circus experience....

Selby Gardens, G. Wiz & Mote Marine...

And then the art scene which will now include the Sailor statue for the next ten years!

All packed into one little city on the bay; imagine that!
Per usual, great post.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM

159 posts, read 461,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
Per usual, great post.
I appreciate all the advice. I think that Sarasota sounds like a good place to raise a family with alot of stuff to do and close to everything. Does anybody know anything about the roller skating rinks in that area? My kids are really into skating and are on a speed team here so that's a big deal for them.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the advice. I think that Sarasota sounds like a good place to raise a family with alot of stuff to do and close to everything. Does anybody know anything about the roller skating rinks in that area? My kids are really into skating and are on a speed team here so that's a big deal for them.
There is a skating rink in Sarasota/venice area.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Here is a nice one right here in Sarasota:

Welcome to Stardust Event Center

Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Here is a nice one right here in Sarasota:

Welcome to Stardust Event Center
Stardust has been around a long time. I used to go there when I was a kid.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 45,676 times
Quote:
I am moving down there in October and need some help!!!!! I am trying to choose between Fort Myers and Sarasota to live. My job is in the middle in Port Charlotte but feel not enough activity there for my kids. I have teenagers and small children. I am looking at Gateway Lakes apts. in Sarasota? Anybody have any info on those? I want to be somewhere where there is alot to do but low crime area. Any suggestions? It's hard to make a decision from Indiana which is where I am now. I loved Fort Myers when I came for interviews but have heard high crime. Please help me someone???
Sarasota is much more safe and less people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area