Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 65,054 times

Advertisements

The analogy I heard was Sarasota is to Florida like Asheville is to North Carolina.
We are looking for a beach city with lots of art and music, yoga, Health food store, etc...
I never thought I would consider Florida but Sarasota might be the place.

We live in Asheville NC and have for many years. BURNT OUT on Cold weather and would prefer to be in shorts most of the time, not just for 4 months.

JOBS...RN, Yoga Instructor, Realtor. Not wealthy at all and would like to live a "low overhead lifestyle".

If not Sarasota, WHERE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 02:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringosid View Post
The analogy I heard was Sarasota is to Florida like Asheville is to North Carolina.
We are looking for a beach city with lots of art and music, yoga, Health food store, etc...
I never thought I would consider Florida but Sarasota might be the place.

We live in Asheville NC and have for many years. BURNT OUT on Cold weather and would prefer to be in shorts most of the time, not just for 4 months.

JOBS...RN, Yoga Instructor, Realtor. Not wealthy at all and would like to live a "low overhead lifestyle".

If not Sarasota, WHERE?
Hi - I can make a comparison to Asheville, we had a second home there for 3 years. There are a lot of similarities, same size population, extreme natural beauty, lots of restaurants, entertainment, attractions, etc. Sarasota does have a LOT of artists here, we have the Ringling College of Art and Design - top rated. We also have New College, which is known as a "hippie" college. We have a lot of alternative medicine, organic food places, etc like Asheville. The biggest difference you will see is that it doesn't feel quite as "crunchy granola" here if you know what I mean. You also will not see as many "hippie looking" types as you find in downtown Asheville. The medical field is one of the best to be in here, almost always some type of demand. There are loads of Yoga places, massage, etc. Nothing for realtors, especially new ones.

Sarasota has some great deals in real estate now, there is something for anyone's price range. The big hurdle is finding a job. If you can do that, I think you will love it here. I, too, hate the cold, and while I though Asheville was beautiful and had a lot going on, winters were way too cold for me. The mountains are beautiful, but our Gulf beaches are just as nice, and at the end of the day, I love the salty air! Anyway, it's only my opinion, but this is definitely the best place on the West Coast, and this is coming from someone who loves Asheville, it's a pretty good comparison.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi - I can make a comparison to Asheville, we had a second home there for 3 years. There are a lot of similarities, same size population, extreme natural beauty, lots of restaurants, entertainment, attractions, etc. Sarasota does have a LOT of artists here, we have the Ringling College of Art and Design - top rated. We also have New College, which is known as a "hippie" college. We have a lot of alternative medicine, organic food places, etc like Asheville. The biggest difference you will see is that it doesn't feel as "crunchy" here if you know what I mean. You also will not see as many "hippie looking" types as you find in downtown Asheville. The medical field is one of the best to be in here, almost always some type of demand. There are loads of Yoga places, massage, etc. Nothing for realtors, especially new ones.

Sarasota has some great deals in real estate now, there is something for anyone's price range. The big hurdle is finding a job. If you can do that, I think you will love it here. I, too, hate the cold, and while I though Asheville was beautiful and had a lot going on, winters were way too cold for me. The mountains are beautiful, but our Gulf beaches are just as nice, and at the end of the day, I love the salty air! Anyway, it's only my opinion, but this is definitely the best place on the West Coast, and this is coming from someone who loves Asheville, it's a pretty good comparison.

Hope this helps!
Odd that Asheville should come up. This month's featured city in the USAir magazine is Asheville. Also, there was a front page story in yesterday's NYTimes on Asheville.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
I would echo GysyChic but from only the experience of one visit to Ashville
Really it boils down to weather, no seasons and whether you like a transient community for 6 months a year.
I prefer the weather here, not worried about the seasons, but I do not like the sudden influx of snowbirds ( crowded roads, restaurants) in season. However 2 out of 3 is not bad, but we may have find 3 out of 3 in our preference of St Augustine over Sarasota.

Before anyone jumps on me we will retire to St Augustine in the next year or so and already have purchased the house we want. Just need enough money to retire!

Last edited by Peter the Brit; 09-07-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 03:14 PM

306 posts, read 636,211 times
Take away the beaches and Sarasota would be a boring place to visit. The average age of its citizens must be about 95.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:26 PM

REXER READ BELOW

SARASOTA CENSUS DATA CENTER
SARASOTA GENERAL POPULATION

Total Population in Sarasota, FL
At the time of the most recent United States Census Survey, the number of people in Sarasota, FL was 52,715.

Sarasota Male Population
At the time of the last full census survey, the number of men in Sarasota was 25,627, which represents 48.6 percent of the total for the community (The national average is 49.10%).

Male Population, Married in Sarasota, FL
There are an estimated 9,869 married men in the town. 46 percent of men over 15 years old in Sarasota are married, compared to the national average of 56.70%.

Female Population
The estimated female population in Sarasota is 27,088 which is 51.4 of the total population (Compared to the national average of 50.90%).

Female Population, Married in Sarasota, Florida
There are an estimated 9,255 married women in the community. 40.4 percent of females over the age of 15 are married, compared to the national average of 52.10%.

Median Age in Sarasota, FL
The median age of people living in Sarasota, FL was 41.1 at the time of the last full census survey. (The United States average at the time was 35.3)

At that time, the number of people under the age of 5 living in Sarasota was 2,811. There were 42,992 people above the age of 18, which represents 81.6 percent of the entire population (compared to the national average of 74.30% ). 22 percent of the population (11,585) in the community was 65 years and over, compared to 12.40% nationally.

RACE

One Race Percent in Sarasota, FL
At the time of the last census survey, the number of people of one race in Sarasota, FL was 51,706.

White Population in Sarasota, FL
The estimated White population in the Sarasota community is 40,542, which is 76.9 percent of the total population (The U.S. average is 75.10%).

Black Population in Sarasota, Florida
The estimated Black/African American population is 8,447, which is 16 percent of the total population in town (The U.S. average is 12.30%).

American Indian and Alaska Native Population in Sarasota, FL
In 2000, the number of American Indians or Alaska Natives in Sarasota, FL was 186.

Asian Population in Sarasota, Florida
At the last survey, the total Asian population in the community was 536.

Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander Population in Sarasota, FL
The number of Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders living in Sarasota was an estimated 26.

Other/Multiple Races
The number of residents identified as “some other race” was 1,969, while those of “two or more races” was 1,009 at the time of the last census.

Hispanic Population
The Hispanic population in the Sarasota community was 6,283, or 11.9 percent of the total population (compared to the national average of 12.50% percent).

HOUSEHOLD CHARACTERISTICS

Household Population in Sarasota, FL
The household population number in Sarasota was 49,593.

Group Quarters Population in Sarasota, FL
Group Quarters population in the community was 3,122.

Average Household Size in Sarasota, FL
The average household size in Sarasota is 2.12 (The average household size in the United States is 2.59).

Average Family Size
The average family size in the community is 2.81 (The average family size in the United States is 3.14).

HOUSING

Total Housing Units in Sarasota, FL
At the time of the last census survey, there were 26,898 total housing units in Sarasota.

The number of occupied housing units was 23,427, or 87.1 of the total units in town. Of these, 13,683 were owner-occupied (58.4), and 9,744 were renter-occupied (41.6, compared to the national average of 33.80%). There were also 3,471 vacant homes in Sarasota at the time of the last complete survey.

Median Home Values in Sarasota, Florida
The total number of single family, owner occupied homes in the community was 9,865, with a median value in dollars of 96,000.

Monthly Owner Costs in Sarasota, FL
For homes with a mortgage, average monthly owner costs were $912 (national average was $1,088). For homes without a mortgage in Sarasota, average costs per month were $334 (national average was $295).

EDUCATION

High School Graduate or higher
At the time of the last survey, 30,697 people in the community had a high school degree, or 80.1 of the population (compared to the national average of 80.40%).

Bachelor's Degree or Higher in Sarasota, Florida
9,842 people in Sarasota also had a Bachelor’s degree or higher, which represented 25.7 of the total population (National average was 24.40%).

MISCELLANEOUS

Civilian Veterans in Sarasota, FL
The number of Civilian Veterans in Sarasota was 6,261, or 14.6 percent of the total population (National average is 12.70%).

Disability Status in Sarasota, FL
In 2000, there were 11,975 people in Sarasota, FL listed as disabled.

Foreign Born in Sarasota, FL
At the time of the last complete survey, there were 8,775 people in Sarasota who spoke a language other than English at home. This represented 17.6 of the total population, compared to the national average of 17.90%.

LABOR STATISTICS

Percentage In Labor Force in Sarasota, Florida
There were 24,747 in the labor force in Sarasota at the time of the last complete survey. This represented 56.5 of the total population, compared to the national average of 63.90%. Mean Travel Time to Work in minutes
From the most recent complete survey, the average commute time to work for local residents in Sarasota was 20 minutes, compared to the national average of 25.5 minutes.

Median Household Income in Sarasota, FL
The median household income in the community at the time of the last survey was $34,077. The median household income in the U.S. was $41,994.

Median Family Income in Sarasota, FL
In the last complete census survey, the median family income in the community was $40,398. Median family income in the U.S. was 50,046.

Per Capita Income in Sarasota, Florida
Per capita income in Sarasota in the last full census was 23,197. Per capita income in the U.S. was 21,587.

Families below poverty level
According to the most recent survey,families living below the poverty line in Sarasota numbered 1,506, or 12.4 percent of the population. The percentage of families in America living below the poverty line was 9.20%.

Individuals below the poverty level in Sarasota, FL
Individuals living below the poverty line in the community was 8,271, or 16.7 percent . The percentage of individuals living beneath the poverty level in the country was 12.40%.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Why St Augustine?

Does St Augustine have a Whole Foods, Downtown tailgate market, Nice Beach, Great Art scene, Yoga scene, music scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I would echo GysyChic but from only the experience of one visit to Ashville
Really it boils down to weather, no seasons and whether you like a transient community for 6 months a year.
I prefer the weather here, not worried about the seasons, but I do not like the sudden influx of snowbirds ( crowded roads, restaurants) in season. However 2 out of 3 is not bad, but we may have find 3 out of 3 in our preference of St Augustine over Sarasota.

Before anyone jumps on me we will retire to St Augustine in the next year or so and already have purchased the house we want. Just need enough money to retire!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringosid View Post
Does St Augustine have a Whole Foods, Downtown tailgate market, Nice Beach, Great Art scene, Yoga scene, music scene?
St. Augustine is a nice little town, but MUCH MUCH smaller than Sarasota. I also find it way more touristy, but you should visit both towns. Sarasota has more in common with Asheville than St. Augustine. We have one of the BEST art scenes in Florida, St. Augustine cannot compare in that regard.

And despite what some people say, this area is NOT all older folks, we have those but so does Asheville. We have much more of a college scene here with three smaller colleges. We have tourists, but in the opposite season - they are here in the winter "season", Asheville season is spring-fall. Sarasota has Whole Foods and many, many other organic stores and farms. Like I said, you want a small town or small city. Both are nice, but Sarasota has way better beaches, unless you want to do surfing, then you would want the Atlantic coast.

ETA: St. Augustine would be sort of like Black Mountain, Sarasota more like Asheville in size, amenities, etc.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM

No Wholefood as no franchise is allowed in the Ancient City otehrwise yes to the others.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Default thanks gypsychic

We will try to visit as soon as we can. Probably November. THANKS!
PS...I also am a Bass Player and will be looking to play with a band...Blues, Latin (my favorite), Swing, Rock, anything but hip/hop, rap.
The more music I can play, the less hours I would have to work as an RN. HAHA....Don't quit your day job!
My wife is also an RN but is a Yoga teacher and wants to spend more time teaching Yoga and doing her art.(encaustics)
Daughter is in college in Charlotte NC....

Do you think we could get away with one car if we lived near work? I love to bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area