Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,839 times

Advertisements

Which area is good in Bradenton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,984 times
Lakewood Ranch University Park and IMHO not much else

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Lakewood Ranch University Park and IMHO not much else
Neither of which are part of Bradenton

Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,984 times
University Park neighborhood in Bradenton, Florida (FL), 34201, 34243

Lakewood Ranch Golf and Country Club 7650 Legacy Blvd., Bradenton, FL 34202 941-907-4700

Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
In general, north of Cortez, and other northwest areas are the best for being in the city. The two neighborhoods mentioned are in south Manatee County, and are NOT in the city of Bradenton. Although you might like University park. The closer to the beaches the better, also north of Manatee Ave. near the river.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I saw Bradenton listed again as a good place to retire to, in the current "Places to Retire" Magazine. I know Bradenton has some crime issues, most places do. I'm sure the magazine is geared to market certain communities across the country, that want to be marketed to retirees. I just wonder if Bradenton was so bad, how could it keep making the retire to list. Even a magazine or good PR by Bradenton, would not be able to get past word of mouth by the many that have spent time there.
I have even seen videos on Youtube where people drive around the area and just tear it apart. Always related to crime and gangs or slum looking neighborhoods. I thought it looked nice except for a few places, but I see that where ever one goes in America.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I saw Bradenton listed again as a good place to retire to, in the current "Places to Retire" Magazine. I know Bradenton has some crime issues, most places do. I'm sure the magazine is geared to market certain communities across the country, that want to be marketed to retirees. I just wonder if Bradenton was so bad, how could it keep making the retire to list. Even a magazine or good PR by Bradenton, would not be able to get past word of mouth by the many that have spent time there.
I have even seen videos on Youtube where people drive around the area and just tear it apart. Always related to crime and gangs or slum looking neighborhoods. I thought it looked nice except for a few places, but I see that where ever one goes in America.
Personally, I love Bradenton. What I love about it is that it never became really overbuilt, is a "tree city" with thousands of old oaks and banyan trees, has waterfronts more beautiful than Sarasota, and many, if not most of it's old historic buildings. This is a town that goes a little more out of it's way to save it's history, whereas, Sarasota, while beautiful and I love it, has torn down it's old stuff and is all shiny and new. Bradenton has that sleepy feel of "a town that time forgot" which is something I really treasure these days.

Yes, it does have crime issues, but as mentioned so many times before, MOST of it is in certain neighborhoods, which are not the nicer parts of Bradenton. Even Sarasota has its slummier side with almost as much crime, but the PR and hype is better for Sarasota because Sarasota's nicer parts are "nicer" than Bradenton's. Jimrob, remember that when watching those videos on Youtube, anyone can just show the "bad side of town." I could make one showing only the good parts. People slant things to prove their points.

Bradenton has traditionally been a nice beachfront town for those with modest means to come down and retire, and the working class. It has never attracted the huge wealth of it's neighbor to the south. I was just discussing this with my husband the other day, wondering why that is, since the city and its beaches and waterfront have as much, if not more, natural beauty as Sarasota.

At the end of the day, it's all about what a person wants. There are certainly safe and beautiful areas to live in Bradenton. One can check out crime maps and see where most of the bad stuff takes place - overall they aren't places one would want to live anyway. Someday this town is going to take off - right now between the economy and bad PR not much is happening, but I am willing to bet money one day this place will really be "discovered" and will be every bit as desirable as Sarasota. It is really too nice for this not to happen.

Just one "gypsy"s hunch!

Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I saw Bradenton listed again as a good place to retire to, in the current "Places to Retire" Magazine. I know Bradenton has some crime issues, most places do. I'm sure the magazine is geared to market certain communities across the country, that want to be marketed to retirees. I just wonder if Bradenton was so bad, how could it keep making the retire to list.

The retirees have no conception of what really goes on after dark in Manatee county.

Even a magazine or good PR by Bradenton, would not be able to get past word of mouth by the many that have spent time there.

You might see a horse of a different color this year due to pension cuts & stock losses. I do believe they did a Bernie Madoff auction a few weekends ago. No one bought anything.

I don't say so much anymore, I'll just direct you to newsmanatee.com. I do not feel safe driving past the airport north anymore; it's just downright eerie to me. The SRQ Herald put a headline up the other day, "recession over?" and what do they show...a shot of 41 heading north by Desears looking like everythings up for lease...pretty nasty way to lay it down but they did; go figure?

Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I don't say so much anymore, I'll just direct you to newsmanatee.com. I do not feel safe driving past the airport north anymore; it's just downright eerie to me. The SRQ Herald put a headline up the other day, "recession over?" and what do they show...a shot of 41 heading north by Desears looking like everythings up for lease...pretty nasty way to lay it down but they did; go figure?
Oh, Lady, please! You know I love you, but I live right here by the airport, and there is nothing eerie here at all, I love it here, and so do all my neighbors that live in this neighborhood. I go out to eat at the restaurants on the north trail and shopping up at Bayshore Gardens, nothing but friendly people there. There is just as much trash down in Sarasota and you know it. All one has to do is go east not even a mile to 301 and see what nasty really looks like, not to mention the slums of Newtown. Truth be told, I go north into Bradenton for dining/shopping more than south to Sarasota (live between both). There are empty businesses all up and down 41, not just north trail. And Sarasota neighborhoods like Gillespie Park just north of downtown are still filled with crime. Even Laurel Park where we used to live still has issues. In fact, I would not live there now they gave me a place.

I just want to see a balanced view here, and some of you make it sound like anything north of the airport is a pit, which is untrue and I get a little sick of seeing it. For sure Sarasota is a nice city, but it has plenty of seedy areas, just as Bradenton has both nice and seedy areas. In fact every single city I have ever lived in or seen has both nice and seedy areas, so let's just keep it real, ok?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
I know ya love me!

I used to live in your neighborhood a few years back and would live there again; it's just past there that gives me weirdness. I think the museum area and the whitfield areas have some of the most beautiful historic homes between SRQ & Bradenton.

And yes, it's bad around Sarasota as well, I know that, too. My personal opinion at this time is that I do feel the crime in Bradenton keeps creeping into places that used to be exempt. However, this trend is probably occuring on a national level as well.

Bradenton does have beautiful areas just as does Sarasota, St. Pete/Clearwater & Tampa; it just the not so beautiful acitivities that don't seem to be lessening that continue to be broadcast at an alarming rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area